Bye Bye G4, Its Been a Tough Relationship....

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So after enduring a bootlooped G4 and then a wonky replacement with connectivity issues, I decided to move on. I looked at the new Pixel XL, the Moto Z force and the V20.

Although reluctant to go with LG due to the G4 and V10 issues, I decided to bite the bullet and try out the V20. Camera issues, cost and availability of the Pixel knocked it off the list. The Z Force has a reat battery and a decent camera as well as additional SD storage but just felt "plasticky" when I held it. V20 felt solid and responsive and of course has an excellent camera along with additional storage and swappable battery. So, we will see... Months from now, hopefully no bootloop issues.

For those nterested, Verizon is offering a $300.00 trade in on G4's with no physical damage so the cost of my V20 was just over $350.00. Not too bad a deal and I qualified for the B&O wired headphones.

David

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I have also moved on. I never had the boot-loop problem, but had other issues that made the G4 unusable as a phone. I bought a unlocked Nexus 6P and activated on my Verizon account. It was a treat to have no bloat (actually had to download a Verizon app to access my account). Just for grins enrolled in the beta program & now am running 7.1.1 - so far no problems or issues.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also went from the G4 to the V20. It's been a great move so far. I also made good on the Verizon $300 trade in, plus the $1/mo Stylo 2 V offer for our emergency line.

I'm not an LG fanboy, it's just they are the only name brand manufacturer that ticks all the boxes for what I want (minus front facing stereo speakers).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So glad you got a good deal for a new flagship phone! Hope it works out for you!

And yes, the G4 is a cool device but to be honest, the bootlooping issue has deterred me from considering an upgrade to that from my G3. Let us know how everything is going with your phone! :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have also moved on. I never had the boot-loop problem, but had other issues that made the G4 unusable as a phone. I bought a unlocked Nexus 6P and activated on my Verizon account. It was a treat to have no bloat (actually had to download a Verizon app to access my account). Just for grins enrolled in the beta program & now am running 7.1.1 - so far no problems or issues.

Congratulations on your Nexus 6P! Awesome choice!

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I still owe $300 on my device payment plan. Would I have to pay it off up front first before upgrading and getting the $300 trade in?

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read, the $300 is spread out over 24 months. Correct?

To answer both your questions, yes.

The 300.00 trade in reduced the price up front that I had to pay. It is supposed to show up on my monthly bill as a $13.00 device payment plan charge with a $13.00 credit over 24 months so its a wash.

Liking the V20 a lot so far. Just wish Verizon didn't disable some of the features such as Smart Settings, Themes and FM radio - bu that's issues we had with the G4 and previous G's as well.

David

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think you are very brave. The G4 has bootloop issue. The G5 has bootloop issue. The V10 has bootloop issue. Maybe they finally fixed it on the V20. ;)

washuai

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Just got my S7 T mobile special upgrade today ($100 over 24 months + tax + shipping). My bootloop replacement wasn't quite right, either, so I went for the chance to trade in the G4, before too late. The V20 would have cost $100 more.
I can't afford anything, so a Pixel was never in question (though yea). Even the OnePlus3 or 3T was out of reach.

I kind of like "plastic-y", because better bendy than bent (durability). I'm sure I'll miss battery replacement, gotta dig my PSP power brick out, until I can get some other power bank. Hopefully Samsung won't be out of those promo VR things.

I had grown attached to my G4, though. I'll even miss a few things.
LG G4 Pros: Smart settings, like quick smart volume adjusting. Has IR Blaster. Soft buttons that get out of the way (and I like app change on the right). I actually miss the slightly larger screen, even though prefer smaller in hand, for video viewing, etc. SD card expansion, holla. Safer to the screen to be slightly sunken below the edges. Replaceable batteries beat lugging power banks (or bulky battery cases) and waiting through charging. Good camera for its release date, of course. I had a few apps crash, but that seemed to be bad apps, never a problem with the phone itself.

Those actual phone problems were doozies, though - bootloop brick, bad microphone, heating, changing battery snaps the back sooner rather than later.

cold spring

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes S7 is pretty nice, but unfortunately, Samsung phones (except for very low end) no longer has removable battery. It's pretty unfortunate decision from Samsung brass, which resulted in Note 7 debacle (the root cause was found to be swollen battery - which is no issue for phones with removable battery/back). G4 is still pretty great phone, only show stopper is the boot loop issue. Someone on XDA forum said they fixed the issue by applying flux before baking the motherboard and it still is going strong after several months of use.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
So I've been enjoying the V20 quite a bit over the last several weeks. Battery life has been fantastic compared to my G4, which was already good to begin with, and I'm getting much more screen on time as well.
I've read about some issues with the camera glass cracking but that seems to be more an issue with some of the early release models. Mine seems to have a different type of glass cover over the camera than others. Speaking of the camera... It is FANTASTIC!

Overall happy with the change.. Hopefully no bootloop issues LOL.

David

Bruce39

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Glad it's going well, I did not have the boot loop, but other issues that make the phone unusable. I moved to the 6P (a lot cheaper than new phones)

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I jumped from the G4, to the V10 due to the bootloop and found some loopholes, I hated the V10's speaker... but loved the build of the phone, then got the V20 when it came out. My wife was using my old G4 and upgraded her to the G5 (our birthdays are close to each other so that's what we did).. and I sold my G4 with the extra battery, backs, and case. It seems like we are LG fanpeople but we aren't.. We just like being able to remove the back and the cameras are good :)

I would say for anyone upgrading, the G5 and the V20 are worth it.. Especially now that the G5 is running Nougat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20