I think it died!

Aries859

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
So this morning my wife's G4 appears to have died. She couldn't get the screen to turn on at all and the power button seems to do nothing. I pulled the battery and then placed it back in and turned it on. The screen comes up and shows the LG G4 "splash screen" but then shuts right back off. The Verizon screen never pops up and nothing will make the phone respond. I put the battery from my G4 into the phone and tried it with the same result.

Anyone experience this? Any ideas to try?

Thansk...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

I hate to say it, but it looks like you've hit the bootloop of death.

I owned 2 G4s and they all had the exact same issue. Your best bet is to take it back to Verizon and see what they can do.

In the meantime, see if you can retrieve your data using the freezer trick.

Aries859

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
After some searching my wife found several people people posting that their phones crapped out last night as well.

Can you elaborate on the freezer trick? Can't say I have heard of that one.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
After some searching my wife found several people people posting that their phones crapped out last night as well.

Can you elaborate on the freezer trick? Can't say I have heard of that one.
Basically, put your device in the freezer and leave it for about 1.5 hours. Then, try to turn it on and if it does, use the limited timeframe to back up anything important. It won't go on long enough for a full backup, so only backup the most important stuff.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If this is the same root cause as the known bootloop issue (you said it shut back off, not actually looping), then it's a thermal expansion problem due to a bad solder. That's why the freezer trick works, but you shouldn't have to leave it in so long.

Most people have had luck (myself included) with putting it in for about 20 min. If it boots up properly and you leave it in the freezer, you should have enough time to backup everything you need. If you take it out to do backups, it can heat up and shut down/loop on you again.

Some people reported success by putting it in the oven and heating it a bit. This can soften and partially re-join the bad solder connections but obviously carries greater risks of damage. I never tried that method, so i don't know the actual steps for it.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
As long as you purchased the phone from a verfiable reseller you should be able take advantage of lg's free ship in and get an assesment on the phone. Even out of Warranty the phone could be fixed for free if it's free of any damage. Freezing it or baking it will definitely put it out of lg's hands.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Freezing it or baking it will definitely put it out of lg's hands.
Heating could certainly cause physical damage (warped or melted plastic for example) and void your warranty. Freezing isn't near as hard on a device, and there is no risk of physical damage. I've yet to hear of a single warranty denial related to being frozen, or even moisture detection being triggered.

NaplesKD

Mar 10, 2017
Visit site
What the heck?! My husband and I both purchased LG G4's in November of 2015. Mine experienced the same thing Tuesday (3/4/2017) so I ordered the LG G5. Then my husband's phone experienced the same thing the very next day! After trying several different "fixes" that didn't, we took them both into Verizon to check them out. They said they couldn't do anything about it because they are out of warranty. Can you say "planned obsolescence"?! We are not happy!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante