LG G5 Expectations

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So we've got a bit more info about the upcoming LG G5, which will be unveiled on February 21st alongside the GS7 at MWC. Let me list down my expectations as the owner of a G4.

In terms of design, I would really like them to step it up. The G4 didn't feel terrible per se, but it definitely felt cheaper compared to its rivals. I personally didn't mind it (partly because mine has a leather back), but when rivals are going towards more 'premium' materials, LG has to jump on the bandwagon to stay relevant in the minds of the average consumer.

For hardware, I expect nothing but top-end hardware for the G5. So a Snapdragon 820 processor with no-less than 3GB of LPDDR4 memory, though 4GB would be nice. 32GB should be base though 64GB would be splendid and also retain the option for expandable storage. Removable battery is not likely due to the redesign, but if LG can pull it off with that modular slot, I'll be impressed. Said battery should also be reasonably large, as-in, over 3000mAh in size. Expect a fingerprint sensor and other goodies as well.

In terms of display, given LG's recent teaser of an always-on display, I'm expecting a QHD OLED display. It's unlikely that LG will use an IPS panel because for an always-on display, IPS panels aren't efficient in terms of power-consumption because the entire backlight needs to be on while for an OLED display, only the necessary pixels are lit up.

For the camera, I don't expect many changes, though a smaller aperture, fine-tuning of the software and even a dual-lens setup are on my list. Should still be a 16MP sensor with 3-axis OIS and manual controls.

Last but not least is software. I want LG to rethink their UI design. I mean, LG UX isn't a bad performer. It just doesn't look very good. Main thing I want them to address is the DPI of the UI. It's just too damn high, which makes everything look too damn big. Lower it down to a more manageable DPI so that more things can fit on-screen.

And here's a bonus. Better quality control. I owned a G4 that fell victim to the bootloop issue that's affecting quite a lot of G4s out there. I want them to sort their quality-control out with the G5 because their current QC is making me weary already.

And those are pretty much my expectations. I'm eager to hear what you guys expect so plop them below!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I loved that LG stuck with plastic. I know I'm in the minority here, but my wife had the M7 & M8 and I found them slick and heavier than desired. And I hate cases.

I'm very much looking forward to LPDDR4, and 4 gigs would be nice, thank you. As long as there's expandable storage, I'm good with 32 gigs. Battery, honestly I'm fine with whatever they decide. I know some people had issues with battery life. I found the battery solid by today's standards, what with 2k resolution. Not the biggest fan of OLED, but I'll reserve judgement.

The camera, I have high expectations. I feel like at this point they can't miss in this regard.

Oh my god, if they haven't rebuilt their software from the ground up I'll be sorely disappointed. If not, I've got Action Launcher and Google Now Launcher ready to go.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
In terms of design, I would really like them to step it up. The G4 didn't feel terrible per se, but it definitely felt cheaper compared to its rivals. I personally didn't mind it (partly because mine has a leather back), but when rivals are going towards more 'premium' materials, LG has to jump on the bandwagon to stay relevant in the minds of the average consumer.

I have a different perspective. "Premium" materials mean nothing to me if you can't pop in a new battery. I don't swap all the time but there are instances when it's needed and there's no substitute for going 0-100 in seconds.

Also feel isn't a factor for me, it's a phone/tool, I don't pick it up and marvel at the materials, I just need it to work.

The Misfit is Here

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a different perspective. "Premium" materials mean nothing to me if you can't pop in a new battery. I don't swap all the time but there are instances when it's needed and there's no substitute for going 0-100 in seconds.

Also feel isn't a factor for me, it's a phone/tool, I don't pick it up and marvel at the materials, I just need it to work.

I respectfully disagree. I could truly care less about a removable battery as long as there is enough capacity to get me through a full day. That was the major problem with the Galaxy s6, not enough capacity. Quick charge helps a lot though. I do agree that it doesn't have to be "premium" feeling. I think what I'm most looking forward to is does the G5 bring anything new to the table.

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Here's the beauty of it though...if you don't need a new battery you don't change it but when you do it sure as heck is nice. I was traveling last weekend, never stayed in one spot long at all, battery got low and popped in a new one...done. Most of the time my phone gets me through an average day, but traveling, vacation, skiing, boating, etc. it sure is nice not to have to worry about your phone running low.

Fact is that phone batteries stink, with the bigger processors, screens, resolution, the technology has leaped battery life and progress. Now we're expected to bring along quick chargers and other tethering devices to make up for the shortcomings? Please, the last thing I need is to drag around more equipment. Keep the swappable battery please, it's not that big of a deal and gives us options.

Last edited:

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Swappable batteries are a must for me, but I don't see why more people don't take advantage of them. Heck, LG gives you one for free every time you buy one of their phones! I'm currently using a v10 and I swap the battery roughly twice a day. It's just so much more convenient then having the phone tethered to a wall or a battery pack.

As for the design, I don't believe it needs to suffer to maintain a removable battery. My v10 is built like a tank and feels great in hand, and my note 4 is easily my favorite phone design ever. I can't see sacrificing the functionality of a replaceable battery, which can add YEARS to a device's life, just so it can be made out of slippery cheap aluminum (aluminum is not a premium material. I cover chicken with it when I put it in the fridge.)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's the beauty of it though...if you don't need a new battery you don't change it but when you do it sure as heck is nice. I was traveling last weekend, never stayed in one spot long at all, battery got low and popped in a new one...done. Most of the time my phone gets me through an average day, but traveling, vacation, skiing, boating, etc. it sure is nice not to have to worry about your phone running low.

Fact is that phone batteries stink, with the bigger processors, screens, resolution, the technology has leaped battery life and progress. Now we're expected to bring along quick chargers and other tethering devices to make up for the shortcomings? Please, the last thing I need is to drag around more equipment. Keep the swappable battery please, it's not that big of a deal and gives us options.

Funny enough, I swapped the battery on my G4 after a long time while on a trip for Chinese New Year. It was running really low, so I swapped it and I had an 80% charge in seconds.

It was also the first time I did so on my replacement unit. The first one died to the bootloop issue.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Expectstions = disappointment

I'm just hopeful for improvements over the G4! Such as camera, speed, SD card slot, the usual. I'm one of the few who is OK with LG UI so I. Can't expect much lol

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping the plastic is a bit gripper than the G4, though if I'm getting one for a lengthy period I'm sure as hell getting a case, I pray the settings menu isn't a god-forsaken disaster zone (writing settings how-tos for the G4 was like wading into a minefield. "It's gotta be here SOMEWHE- damn it!" *phone blows up*), that the UI continues to clean itself up, keep or improve the lock screen animations, ditch those nauseating emoji, have adoptable storage, and let those dual cameras work well.

More a wish list than an expectation, but I stand by it.

Posted via the Android Central App