Trying to love the G5 but can't.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I really want to love the design but I still can't seem to digest the weird metallic finish along with the camera module setup and the bump it has.

It looks clean! But I think that cleanliness is going against the design. I really really wanted to love the G5. But so far, I don't.

I can already imagine people breaking their G5s attempting to do what not with the modular design.

I like it. But I'm not sold. What do you say?

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Design means nothing to me, it's a phone, I don't sit and stare at these things. Obviously it does to many people hence the jump to a metal body to keep up with the fad/trend. I think if the camera module has useful applications then it's a winner, if it's just a slight improvement to the system then there will be no need to purchase it and no harm done. Same with the sound module. I don't listen to music so I'd never purchase that option, but the fact that they have it means that their giving their customers options, which is always a good thing.

I think the fact that they've implemented a module system will give customers many choices in the future as they develop the concept. If they are useful then it'll be a hit, if not then you'll still have a nice phone with SD and battery interchangeability which are two very useful features.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The thing you said at the end, IS the reality! You WILL be left with a good phone with expandability and swappable battery.

But here's the thing, you still have the G4 for that.

And samsung is going to come out with their phone with the same expandability option and improved battery with a solid design.

I really like the G5, but I think they are not going to be AS successful as they were with the G4. G4 seems better to me still somehow I don't know why.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The thing you said at the end, IS the reality! You WILL be left with a good phone with expandability and swappable battery.

But here's the thing, you still have the G4 for that.

And samsung is going to come out with their phone with the same expandability option and improved battery with a solid design.

I really like the G5, but I think they are not going to be AS successful as they were with the G4. G4 seems better to me still somehow I don't know why.

I agree 100%, I have the G4 which has the SD and battery options. No, the G5 is not enough different to make me change, I don't think any phone introduced this year will do that...we're into merely marginal improvements with these devices now, not wholesale changes or revolutionary design differences. For that reason, I hang on to my phones for at least 2 years if not longer these days. The G4 is still a very capable phone...well at least it was until MM screwed it up.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I thought this phone would finally get me to upgrade from my trusty Nexus 5. But only a 2800 mah battery? The Nexus 5X has only 100 mah less and is pure Android. Also the lack of an app drawer is very odd to me. It may not seem like a big deal breaker for some but I don't want folders all over the place like an iPhone. I'm holding out to see what the S7 has.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I thought this phone would finally get me to upgrade from my trusty Nexus 5. But only a 2800 mah battery? The Nexus 5X has only 100 mah less and is pure Android. Also the lack of an app drawer is very odd to me. It may not seem like a big deal breaker for some but I don't want folders all over the place like an iPhone. I'm holding out to see what the S7 has.

What if the 2800 mAh performed just as good, if not better, than the 5x? I think we need to reserve judgment until actual use results are reported and the reviews start flowing in.

As for the app drawer, easy fix. One folder acting as the app drawer and place all apps in there. Alternatively, use a third party launcher. I know that's not the way to fix things, but there are options.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
What if the 2800 mAh performed just as good, if not better, than the 5x? I think we need to reserve judgment until actual use results are reported and the reviews start flowing in.

As for the app drawer, easy fix. One folder acting as the app drawer and place all apps in there. Alternatively, use a third party launcher. I know that's not the way to fix things, but there are options.

I suppose the snapdragon 820 could run more efficiently and battery life could be good. We'll see I guess.

McEhond

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
True my Nexus 5 still rocks, bought Lg G4 and Nexus 6P, but finally came back to it again

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't care much about the design of a phone, but I have to agree that the camera hump on this thing is even uglier than the Nexus 6P's hump. That's not really why I'm disappointed, though. To me, there are too many steps backwards from my G3.

I'll have to wait for the reviews, and user reports, and handle one in the flesh before I make any decisions. But...the move of the volume buttons to the side is a step backwards, as is the decrease in screen size combined with an increase in overall size. I can live with a 5.3" screen, but making the bezels bigger is a fail. The metal case means no wireless charging, another step backwards.
I had hoped for a big improvement in sound quality through the speaker(s), but that doesn't look like it was a consideration.
The processor is a big step up, of course, but every 2016 flagship will use the 820, so that's not really a selling point.And I don't think I'll ever use the modules.
Right now the S7 Edge looks like a better set of compromises, as does the 6P. Maybe even the smaller S7.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
The lack of an app drawer shouldn't be a problem because you can just download a launcher that does have one and use that instead

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you REALLY must have an app drawer and you REALLY must use the stock launcher, just put a folder on your dock with all of your apps in it. App drawer.

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, if you REALLY must have an app drawer and you REALLY must use the stock launcher, just put a folder on your dock with all of your apps in it. App drawer.
There is a limit to the number of apps you can place in a folder..
My app drawer is like this..
456593bf81eeab24c7ebc70d5fa879f0.jpg
I get to use my girlfriend's iPhone 6S occasionally, and no app drawer is just an unorganized mess.

If the rest of the G5 was not a hot mess... I could overlook the missing app drawer.

Zedd

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I just watched the whole 40 minute pitch of the LG-G5 at Barcelona.
That presentation was a disaster, sadly I think the phone is going to be as well.
"Friend's", over time we gain and lose "friends". All those expensive gadgets are going to get forgot at your house or lost in your travels.
My G4 is safe for the time being. Maybe time to check out the S7 or just stay put.

Posted via the Android Central App using my LG G4

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
There is a limit to the number of apps you can place in a folder..
My app drawer is like this..//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160222/456593bf81eeab24c7ebc70d5fa879f0.jpg I get to use my girlfriend's iPhone 6S occasionally, and no app drawer is just an unorganized mess.

If the rest of the G5 was not a hot mess... I could overlook the missing app drawer.
I've used Nova forever and I only ever open my app drawer to move new icons into the appropriate folder. A lack of an app drawer isn't a mess if you organize your home screen in a way that makes sense.

happyhats

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Look at what google is saying about the app drawer in android N you might have to get used to not having one either way. i use a moto x pure but i have always like the way apple did their apps. i think the extra click to get into an app drawer is useless honestly.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I would sincerely disagree. I personally want my home screens loaded only with frequent apps and widgets. Having every app, even folders of apps, loaded on my home screens is bloated, distracting, hideous and sloppy.

The absolute lack of an app drawer has me turned off quite a bit, but since my only other current phone options is the Samsung (Ive personally never cared for their ui) Nova will most likely be installed on either phone.

Specs and feel in hand will be my deciding factor, but LGs decision to remove it entirely without letting ME chose what I prefer is a notable negative.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I would sincerely disagree. I personally want my home screens loaded only with frequent apps and widgets. Having every app, even folders of apps, loaded on my home screens is bloated, distracting, hideous and sloppy.

The absolute lack of an app drawer has me turned off quite a bit, but since my only other current phone options is the Samsung (Ive personally never cared for their ui) Nova will most likely be installed on either phone.

Specs and feel in hand will be my deciding factor, but LGs decision to remove it entirely without letting ME chose what I prefer is a notable negative.

Would you say that my home screen is bloated and distracting? All my apps are there. All within folders.

My frequent apps are represented by the folder icon and less frequent apps are grouped with similar apps.

In any case, I'll never understand why anyone ever uses a stock launcher. They're terrible compared to anything available in the Play Store.

uploadfromtaptalk1456216591215.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456216599020.jpg

bitek

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Nova launcher is really good. I would just use it over lg launcher.

Posted via BlackBerry priv

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Would you say that my home screen is bloated and distracting? All my apps are there. All within folders.

My frequent apps are represented by the folder icon and less frequent apps are grouped with similar apps.

In any case, I'll never understand why anyone ever uses a stock launcher. They're terrible compared to anything available in the Play Store.

View attachment 217271View attachment 217272

I'm sorry but I have to say that you are a minority. The majority of us know android with homescreens AND an app drawer and it's pretty simple to us.

I can't think of putting up with hundreds of apps that I have and arranging them on my home screen all the time.

Especially when in an app drawer whenever I need to find them I can go alphabetically and search the desired app.

An app drawer is a much much simple solution in my opinion. It's only when you have a few apps is when it's okay to not have it.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I have to say that you are a minority. The majority of us know android with homescreens AND an app drawer and it's pretty simple to us.

I can't think of putting up with hundreds of apps that I have and arranging them on my home screen all the time.

Especially when in an app drawer whenever I need to find them I can go alphabetically and search the desired app.

An app drawer is a much much simple solution in my opinion. It's only when you have a few apps is when it's okay to not have it.

My point is that the absence of an app drawer doesn't inherently make a home screen cluttered. A user who doesn't know the first place to start makes a home screen cluttered.

I've been using Nova forever and I don't have to put up with a hundred apps that I have to rearrange every single time. I've rearranged them once. My home screen set up is the same on all my phones.

I don't have to go into an app drawer and search through an alphabetical list because I know where every single app is on my home screen and, with only two pages, they're all easy to find. My calculator? Behind the Keep icon. IMDB? Behind the Chrome icon. I have a system and it's not complicated.

Again, the problem here is the user. Not the lack of an app drawer. If you need an app drawer so badly, download any number of third party launchers from the app store. Guaranteed that they're all better than any stock launcher — with or without an app drawer.