Which phone to get, G5 or S7?

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I am replacing my iPhone 5S with a new work phone. I personally carry a Note 5 with me for my personal stuff, but I don't want an iPhone for work any more. Now they allow android devices which have to be purchased directly from AT&T. So, I have waited past my time of replacing it to see the new S7 and G5. I am not wanting to carry two large phones with me (S7 Edge and my Note 5). So one smaller would help. I really wanted them to keep the size of the S6 edge, but that was one thing that made me sad to see.

Any recommendations between them you guys can help with?

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I suppose keep it in line with Samsungs on you. That would make sense.

Personally, I like having 2 different phones. If I had a note 5 I'd get the G5

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I have the V10 for personal use, and the Nexus 6P for work. Considering returning my V10 for the S7 Edge. Something about that titanium silver and the return of micro SD calls to me.

Posted via a screaming LG V10...or the Nexus 6P of Doom...mood dependent.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For me, I'd pick the S7.

It's just the better overall phone for me. While LG has impressive hardware and innovations, they didn't really improve the core experience.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Said the same thing in a longer response to your post in the S7 forum:

You need to figure out which is better for YOUR usage, not mine or anyone else's here. What I like is irrelevant if it doesn't meet your needs.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have same confusion...I own Lumia 950 ds and lg g4...now thinking to get g5 or s7 edge...will wait for tech reviews and customer feed back of both phone then decide

ycr258z

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I would suggest to use or get the Samsung S7. This is better compare to this. I have been using S7 for a quite sometime, no comment since it has a lot of features suited on your lifestyle. Thanks

whfrat

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm crazy, some may say, for having used a Webos Pre 3 to this day ;-) Alas it is time to upgrade! For me, I am looking at the G5. My wife got a Samsung S6 9 months ago. She is on her 3rd phone and the new one has its own set of issues. After watching this experience I am not willing to experiment with a Samsung product. Looking forward to seeing a G5 in person.

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've got a S7 edge on preorder but I'm getting cold feet! Historically I've never been a Samsung fan and preferred LG. But the S7 edge has turned my head! But I might return it (14 day cool down period) depending on what G5 preorder deals my carrier provide!

Update. Cancelled S7 edge. Will wait to see how the G5 turns out price wise and in reviews.
Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Neither phone matches my personal preferences honestly... but if my company were paying for it I would get the S7. (its not my $ when I break all the glass, its not my $ when the irreplaceable battery dies out). My company would have to be willing to pay for add-on G5 modules for me to even consider it.

manusbaldspot

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I've got a S7 edge on preorder but I'm getting cold feet! Historically I've never been a Samsung fan and preferred LG. But the S7 edge has turned my head! But I might return it (14 day cool down period) depending on what G5 preorder deals my carrier provide!

Update. Cancelled S7 edge. Will wait to see how the G5 turns out price wise and in reviews.

I'm inbthe exact same boat and pretty close to pulling that cancelation trigger myself.

What made you do it?

RadiantDuck

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm inbthe exact same boat and pretty close to pulling that cancelation trigger myself.

What made you do it?

I played about with the s7 edge in store (it was very nice! I'm not denying that!) but I though that I'd be putting up with the edges rather than enjoying them. A fair amount of glare along the curve while watching videos. Not sure how the curve would deal with the games I play. I was a little hesitant on capacitive buttons, I do prefer the flexibility of on screen ones. But mostly I believe more and more that each years new phones will offer less and less real world improvements, screens, processors, cameras etc are mostly in a place of diminishing returns (for what I want at least) so I'm planning to keep my next phone for a good few years (unless I drop the bugger!) so a removable battery (so I can replace if it starts to wear down) and an IPS screen (I know AMOLED has improved but even the possibility of burn in or colour production and brightness decreasing with age makes me nervous). I feel the G5 will be easier to keep. Also the look of the thing has grown on me a lot! I really like the front. And the back I don't mind so much, it's likely to be a little cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think it'll be better than the s7/s7 edge (and definitely won't sell as well) but for my use I think the G5 is better. Both are brilliant devices and I think Samsung and lg should be applauded!

JamieLGdevice

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have s7 edge. The s7 edge its really nice device. Screen is bright, battery strong and camera is amazing. However, the touchwiz isn't great.

I'm returning the S7 edge and going to preorder the G5 from T-Mobile. I was unsure about G5 first, because of the slight changes. Like the volume buttons moved and how plain the device is. Then after using s7 for few days, LG G5 doesn't look bad at all. Plus, I missed using my G4 too.

cal777flyer

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have s7 edge. The s7 edge its really nice device. Screen is bright, battery strong and camera is amazing. However, the touchwiz isn't great.

I'm returning the S7 edge and going to preorder the G5 from T-Mobile. I was unsure about G5 first, because of the slight changes. Like the volume buttons moved and how plain the device is. Then after using s7 for few days, LG G5 doesn't look bad at all. Plus, I missed using my G4 too.

I can relate, I feel the exact same way about Touchwiz.

Met#WP

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm also torn between the LG G5 and the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. I might consider the HTC 10 if they'd announce already, but it almost seems like they're waiting for everyone to get the current generation of flagship phones before even announcing their new flagship.

WallStreet6

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
I would definitely go with the G5. It's got better design, removable battery. The S7 is in my opinion overrated- don't like the amoled screen, it looks quite similar to S6, and don't like touchwiz bloatware.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I can understand Americans wanting the G5 what with there being no unlocked version of the S7 being sold over there and with the Snapdragon 820 performance issues.

For Europeans, it's a much closer battle as we get unlocked versions of both phones and the Exynos 8890 SOC.

Madscotsman

May 20, 2010
Visit site
After having some time with both phones I'll say that you can't go wrong with either of them, they are both great phones. I personally am leaning towards the G5, mainly because I'm not a huge Samsung fan and the galaxy 7 is very similar to the galaxy 6, i prefer the direction LG is going.

asdf

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of them. I've been using LG ever since the G3 but now I am very tempted to switch to the GS7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21