For those of us unimpressed, what would have redeemed the G5 in your eyes?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Let's not go over the top here and throw in everything including the kitchen sink, but let's talk what-ifs.

What could have been done differently that would have made it more desirable in your eyes?

After owning the G3 and G4, I will not be upgrading to the G5. What could have changed my mind would have been if the phone kept its screen size without adding any extra bulk. Or if they were determined to shrink the screen size (after telling us time and time again that 5.5" was the sweet spot), smaller bezels would have been welcome so that it was a more compact phone compared to its predecessors. As it stands, you're getting the same size phone, but with a smaller screen.

If they wanted to do something really impressive, though, I would have liked for it to have an internal battery in addition to its removable battery. That way you could swap modules and swap batteries without having to turn the phone off. Prior to this being announced, I thought that maybe that would have been a possibility.

How about you?

ChrisR

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
A slightly smaller and thicker g4/v10 but not much smaller screen, 820 and better battery. Keeping split screen. Available today 8am pre order with free Urbane for the first (insert number worked out by marketing) people who pre order. Super aggressive price

starbuck88

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I don't like the design of the G5, smaller screen but bigger. No thank you.

I'd have liked to have seen it waterproof and have wireless charging. Would be nice to have removable battery still and SD card slot but not with these modules/friends.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't care all that much about aesthetics ... We all like a nice looking device, but it amazes me how many people nitpick every minor detail these days.

I was looking for significant changes to its skin and was disappointed that they pretty much ignored most of their software. And the drop to 2800 mAh is inexcusable. I don't care if it's removable or how efficient it claims to be.

Lastly, why would I want to lug around modules with me when I could just bring my DSLR?

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
The bezels and no back buttons killed it for me. G2, G3 and G4. Now I'm going to try the s7 edge. If LG can't give me those 2 things, Samsung can at least give me no bezels and a beautiful screen with no touch screen issues that plagues LG devices.

Malek J

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I dont think theres anything wrong with the G5. It has a beautiful metal body, removable battery, top of the line specs and an amazing camera no questions asked. Software seems pretty fluid too. The problem is timing. The s7 edge is really hard to beat. The best looking phone i think matched with top of the line hardware, water resistant, massive battery with support for wireless charging. How are you going to top that? Lol

I really hope LG does sell big this year.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am sure lots of people on this site have mentioned this - I know I've mentioned it many-a-time - but the back buttons. If they had kept the back buttons, they would've had my attention. I LOVE my G3's back buttons. I feel like they've made too much of a leap here. Yes, they've got some great improvements with the G5, and it does look cool; but I was really not impressed overall. Also, the smaller screen size was kind of a bummer for me. I think 5.5" is actually quite workable - even for me, with my small hands - but shrinking it... I dunno. I guess I'd have to hold it and see how it fares with video viewing to see if I'd still be okay with it.

I'm hoping it does really well this year; as they're a great company and they're obviously willing to do new things/take risks to gain more customers, so to speak... But yeah. If I stick with LG, I'll go from my G3 to a G4.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Back buttons would be nice (slight preference)
Video camera manual settings
Dual window and Q Slide that allow you to pick ANY two apps
Higher capacity battery (make the phone thicker if you have to)
ESS Saber 32bit DAC (included standard)
ESS headphone amp (included standard)
Secondary display with greater customization options than the V10

That would be a snapdragon 820 powered V10... with some additional tweeks. I've said it before about the G5 but I don't see why they use the 820 microprocessor and then dial down all these power-user functions, and then call it their flag ship.

IMHO its stunning looking though, the overall cosmetics and materials.... WOW!!!! that part they got right

Last edited:

devoncatt

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Larger Screen . I really wanted a V10 5.7 inch screen. Also including all European 4G bands ( which most of the V10 models don't)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Unlike most in the blogosphere, I've never bought into the hype about "premium" build quality. I'd have preferred an upgrade G3 / G4 type device. Go ahead and give it a metal chassis if they want, but leave the removable back and rear buttons. The removable bottom is kludgy, and the modules do nothing for me.

What would it take for me to definitely choose a G5?

Pretty much just an upgraded G3. Big screen, tiny bezels, rear buttons, wireless charging capable, but with modern internals, a better screen, better, louder sound through the speaker(s). Oh, and put the speaker(s) on the front, or at least the bottom, not on the back where it's inaudible half the time. I'd even accept a somewhat taller phone if it meant front facing speaker(s). Give it a metal chassis, and higher quality plastic / leather /wood on the back to satisfy the reviewers and call it a day.

Samsung got it right by fixing the weak spots of the S6. LG just created more weak spots.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
What would it take for me to definitely choose a G5?

Pretty much just an upgraded G3.

How many times are we gonna get the notification and read a post were someone says I want my phone now, just a newer version. And as time has past since the announcement, I can't believe so many people are getting bent out of shape over .2 inches. Maybe I'm more forgiving? I'm sure someone might respond with their two cents. Few of us have even seen the device yet, let alone hold and use it.

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The thing that turned me off immediately was the 5.3" screen. Never once has my G4 felt too big in my hand. I would never buy a phone less than 5.5" now.

The S7 edge has so many ticks in the plus column, I don't think I'd even consider the G5. I really can't think of anything in the G5's favor.

Posted via my LG G4

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How many times are we gonna get the notification and read a post were someone says I want my phone now, just a newer version. And as time has past since the announcement, I can't believe so many people are getting bent out of shape over .2 inches. Maybe I'm more forgiving? I'm sure someone might respond with their two cents. Few of us have even seen the device yet, let alone hold and use it.

First, you didn't really understand what I wrote. And it's not about .2 inches, it's about shrinking the screen while making the phone bigger. A smaller screen to bezel ratio is simply a step backwards; no other way to see it. If they had shrunk the screen AND the phone, that would probably be fine, but it's not what they did.

Change for the sake of change isn't progress. Change that improves functionality is progress. The G5 changes, in too many cases, reduce functionality.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
First, you didn't really understand what I wrote. And it's not about .2 inches, it's about shrinking the screen while making the phone bigger. A smaller screen to bezel ratio is simply a step backwards; no other way to see it. If they had shrunk the screen AND the phone, that would probably be fine, but it's not what they did.

Change for the sake of change isn't progress. Change that improves functionality is progress. The G5 changes, in too many cases, reduce functionality.

How can you say the G5 is less "functional" than the G4 when you haven't even laid hands on it?

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
How can you say the G5 is less "functional" than the G4 when you haven't even laid hands on it?

I can tell you it is less functional for my daily use as the button locations make it less functional for me. I use the back buttons to switch songs while the phone's in my pocket.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I can tell you it is less functional for my daily use as the button locations make it less functional for me. I use the back buttons to switch songs while the phone's in my pocket.

I can wrap my head around that, I'll concede that point. The argument against screen size and bezel, not feeling that so much. Sure, if you've held and used the device, fire away. The measurements are not so dramatically different. I can see how some people think it's ugly, but functionality? Nobody knows that yet. We have yet to attain that knowledge. That's my point.

I'm also disappointed about the back buttons. I've owned phones without them before. I knew I would again. So will you apparently. But I take your meaning.

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I can wrap my head around that, I'll concede that point. The argument against screen size and bezel, not feeling that so much. Sure, if you've held and used the device, fire away. The measurements are not so dramatically different. I can see how some people think it's ugly, but functionality? Nobody knows that yet. We have yet to attain that knowledge. That's my point.

I'm also disappointed about the back buttons. I've owned phones without them before. I knew I would again. So will you apparently. But I take your meaning.

The measurements are quite different if you're going down in display size but holding a bigger phone.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The measurements are quite different if you're going down in display size but holding a bigger phone.

LG NitroHD G2 G3 G4

I know what the measurements are. I'm just trying to talk people off the ledge. It's getting blown out of perportion. Wait people. Just wait. Or just go buy your GS7.

Bryant Laney

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I have owned the HTC evo 3d the one x and the one m7 as well as Nexus 5, G3 and G4 as well as the Nexus 6 as since 2011 my current phone is the G4. I so badly wanted the G5 to blow me away but sadly the shrunken battery and screen made me say no and for the first time ever I will be giving Samsung a shot as I have pre ordered the S7 Edge. I like the module as an idea however the implementation is gimmicky and only offering two boring ones to start is silly. Also as a consumer looking at flagship devices I shouldn't be made to feel like I need to buy add ons for the flagship device to get the most use out of it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12