B&O DAC Module for LG G5?

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone seen availability and pricing information for the B&O DAC module? Specifics seem hard to find.

Thanks!

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Even at $99 I don't think the DAC modlule would fly. Good LG is trying new things. But hopefully they know more than I do!

I don't think the price point is really that bad for a DAC module. I currently use a Fiio Mont Blanc external DAC/Amp . This is a step or two above the entry point for Fiio products and it is listed on Amazon now for $129.00. This is an external device that I connect to my phone and use "rubber bands" to attach to the phone. Not portable or visually appealing. As a result I don't use this device anywhere as much as I thought it would, even though it sounds great.

I suspect the sound quality of the B&O DAC will at least match that of the Fiio....probably be better, but who knows at this point. Given that the B&O G5 DAC module will also have the ability to work with other devices (though not ride inside the device) the value proposition for this add-on is increased. So, I'm not too concerned by the estimated price points.

However, I suspect many casual music listeners will find the price steep and this add-on really isn't intended for them. People who care about the reproduction of their music and are into audiophile "things" probably won't be bothered by the price. High quality, external DAC's can get very pricey.

BTW, the internal ESS DAC/Amp in my V10 are awesome! I kind of wish LG had gone this route versus making an accessory.

My two cents....thanks for listening! :)

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the price point is really that bad for a DAC module. I currently use a Fiio Mont Blanc external DAC/Amp . This is a step or two above the entry point for Fiio products and it is listed on Amazon now for $129.00. This is an external device that I connect to my phone and use "rubber bands" to attach to the phone. Not portable or visually appealing. As a result I don't use this device anywhere as much as I thought it would, even though it sounds great.

I suspect the sound quality of the B&O DAC will at least match that of the Fiio....probably be better, but who knows at this point. Given that the B&O G5 DAC module will also have the ability to work with other devices (though not ride inside the device) the value proposition for this add-on is increased. So, I'm not too concerned by the estimated price points.

However, I suspect many casual music listeners will find the price steep and this add-on really isn't intended for them. People who care about the reproduction of their music and are into audiophile "things" probably won't be bothered by the price. High quality, external DAC's can get very pricey.

BTW, the internal ESS DAC/Amp in my V10 are awesome! I kind of wish LG had gone this route versus making an accessory.

My two cents....thanks for listening! :)

I'm on Head-fi - I'd bet you are too:)
I'm familiar with DAC's such as the Fiio. My point is I doubt LG will sell many of the modules if priced to high. Most (maybe almost all) G5 users will be satisfied with the stock G5 sound and their Beats headphones. I'm picky about SQ and can live with my G4's sound and constant fiddling withe the EQ on the Poweramp app. Good to hear that the sound on the V10 is good. Don't you need to use the LG music app for that?

Last edited:

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Head-fi - I'd bet you are too:)
I'm familiar with DAC's such as the Fiio. My point is I doubt LG will sell many of the modules if priced to high. Most (maybe almost all) G5 users will be satisfied with the stock G5 sound and their Beats headphones. I'm picky about SQ and can live with my G4's sound and constant fiddling withe the EQ on the Poweramp app. Good to hear that the sound on the V10 is good. Don't you need to use the LG music app for that?

Yes, I do check into Head-Fi.....a dangerous place for me! The V10's SQ is amazing....I would call it best in class. By using a free app called DAC Fix which was made specifically for the V10 you can use the Hi Fi V10 DAC with any app, including PowerAmp, my favorite music player too! The app was made by a member of XDA and also a member of Head-Fi! You can check out the app in Google Play here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix&token=_2wVwK85

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I do check into Head-Fi.....a dangerous place for me! The V10's SQ is amazing....I would call it best in class. By using a free app called DAC Fix which was made specifically for the V10 you can use the Hi Fi V10 DAC with any app, including PowerAmp, my favorite music player too! The app was made by a member of XDA and also a member of Head-Fi! You can check out the app in Google Play here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...id=com.phascinate.lgv10.dacfix&token=N8URiZ8o

I visit Head-Fi too. Sorry about your wallet!

At least a few people are reporting that the DAC Fix app is no longer necessary after the Marshmallow. I'm on T-Mobile, so no update yet for me, so I can't confirm. It makes sense though, should have been like that from the beginning

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I visit Head-Fi too. Sorry about your wallet!

At least a few people are reporting that the DAC Fix app is no longer necessary after the Marshmallow. I'm on T-Mobile, so no update yet for me, so I can't confirm. It makes sense though, should have been like that from the beginning

Thanks for the Marshmallow update, that's good news.I'm on Tmo too and waiting as well. The permanent DAC fix and a FPS fix will make the upgrade worthwhile for me, otherwise I think the phone is great as is..