Received G5. Battery looks to be pretty bad

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Nice work. Good to have you back. I was wondering what happened to you.

Thank you tourbound!! I'm def not a blogger so I'm sure the video is a bit tough to get through... but I really hope it helps to clear things up!!

Doesnt matter to me who carries what device... as long as everyone has all the info they need to make the best possible choice for them... that's all we can do my friend!!

I think the reviews listing 3 hrs SOT are a gross injustice to this phone. I really relieve average SOT for lower users will be around 6hrs. For normal use.. 7-8 should be fairly easy to achieve!!

Thanks again for the kind words.. much appreciated!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
But your case is different, cause again I just checked the G5 forum on xda, their battery life thread, and ppl are complaining about the battery life. So it's so weird that we get on one side you and a few ppl who are pleased with battery life and then on the other side, ppl who can't last a day. It's very unusual.

This could be easily narrowed down to any number if things once these users are able to compare their results with my own. Which is another good reason for the video.

Remember my finger print scanner is off... it's so post to recognize you finger without waking the device. That means the sensor is on at all times.... mix that with a software glitch you could easily crush your battery life without realizing it.

Now, if someone else seta their device up in a similar way to my own... and then cannot re create similar results.. theeeen we may have a discrepancy between devices.

But as far as me having an actual "Unicorn" of a device... I hiiiighly doubt bro!!

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm a mechanic... so I can't help but try to figure out the "why" of it. For me, I believe it's lithium ion power supply in LG G5 vs Li-po power supplies in most other phones.

From what I understand, li po has a main advantage of form factor.... so it's easier to fit into a small package.

Li ion has a main advantage of power density!?!?! It's very tough to kill the LG G5 battery. Meaning it take effort from a full charge to finish it...

Hmm... physics of battery life doesn't work like that. mAh is just that, capacity of it. It doesn't matter what material it is. Lithium ion vs Lithium po doesn't make 2800mAh battery work like 3800mAh battery. it would only affect density, volume and longevity, things like that.

I have no idea what to think of it as you have shown enough data, result with yours. But so far no else seems to be able to duplicate it. Anyway glad that you got a super-long lasting G5.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
This could be easily narrowed down to any number if things once these users are able to compare their results with my own. Which is another good reason for the video.

Remember my finger print scanner is off... it's so post to recognize you finger without waking the device. That means the sensor is on at all times.... mix that with a software glitch you could easily crush your battery life without realizing it.

Now, if someone else seta their device up in a similar way to my own... and then cannot re create similar results.. theeeen we may have a discrepancy between devices.

But as far as me having an actual "Unicorn" of a device... I hiiiighly doubt bro!!

It could be that not using the fingerprint scanner saves battery life, who knows. But I think that the majority of ppl out there will use it since it's an easy security layer and works well. So your usage is most likely why you get that much battery. You don't have that many apps installed and you have some features turned off.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It could be that not using the fingerprint scanner saves battery life, who knows. But I think that the majority of ppl out there will use it since it's an easy security layer and works well. So your usage is most likely why you get that much battery. You don't have that many apps installed and you have some features turned off.

Does finger print sensor use that much power? I'm sure that some others already tried turning that and location off like he did but none came out to say this kind of battery life. Maybe everyone with G5 should try turning those off (location, WiFi, fingerprint) and see it it gets 2x better battery life, which I kind of doubt.

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... physics of battery life doesn't work like that. mAh is just that, capacity of it. It doesn't matter what material it is. Lithium ion vs Lithium po doesn't make 2800mAh battery work like 3800mAh battery. it would only affect density, volume and longevity, things like that.

I have no idea what to think of it as you have shown enough data, result with yours. But so far no else seems to be able to duplicate it. Anyway glad that you got a super-long lasting G5.

I don't pretend to understand how battery physics works...

However I did read up on it a bit. There IS a difference in the way the power supplies discharge their energy...

Here is brief summary on li po ...

Attachments

• 1381.jpg
    1381.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 95

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does finger print sensor use that much power? I'm sure that some others already tried turning that and location off like he did but none came out to say this kind of battery life. Maybe everyone with G5 should try turning those off (location, WiFi, fingerprint) and see it it gets 2x better battery life, which I kind of doubt.

If we turn our phones it could last a very long time. I bought my phone to use it dont turn to many things off unless really don't need them. I have unlimited data so I don't need wifi as often. I turn off bluetooth unless I'm in the car but I don't always remember. I've been getting great results with this phone but having a strong signal helps.

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

Vs brief summary on lithium ion..

I can be totally wrong here... Again I know nothing of real knowledge about the two. Just showing what I've read looking things up briefly.

Attachments

• 1383.jpg
    1383.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 98

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I believe density and capacity are different things in the world of batteries.

But again, this is you're speculation on my part... I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to draw any kind of conclusions

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I believe density and capacity are different things in the world of batteries.

But again, this is you're speculation on my part... I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to draw any kind of conclusions

Yes density and capacity are two different things and density doesn't matter for the battery life, capacity does.

All right, can you do us some favor if you don't mind? Just turn those features back on and see what happens for next couple of days under your normal usage pattern. I mean turning fingerprint sensor, WiFi and location (at high accuracy but history off) on and I think that's how most people use smart-phone these days. Normally I would think those effects would be about 10~20% at most, but maybe it could be more for G5 or not. That will tell if you really got a unicorn unit or there is some magic setting in G5 for battery.

Unicorn Guy

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hey man! Good video ... Some folks here are too much alike Debbie-Downer ... Way too much butthurt over statistics ... Good lord ... Well, i'm geek/nerd/whatever too but i use my own intellect to decide what is right purchase for me or what is not ...

I guess what i'm saying is do not pay attention what these Debbie-Downer say ... They gonna hold you accountable for their future purchase of LG G5 :) and gonna blame you if something doesn't come right ... Enjoy your device and post some more of those SOT screen shots ...

Thank you kabelmk! Appreciate the kind words... and you're right about catching a blast if someone can't repeat the results!!

I am very confident anyone can set their device up similar to mine, and have a new peace of mind on knowing the phone isn't going to die on them.

Finger print ... Meh!!(probably just a way for them to track all of us anyway!!!!...Lol)
Bluetooth, wifi, NFC... when you need them... no need to have them on 24/7 just because you can!!?!?!

I mean other than those few things... do whatever you like with the phone!!
I'm calling 6-9 hrs from there... depending on how hard you want to be on it. Of course, gaming or a 50gb file in vuze may erase any possibility of those numbers... but other than that ... have at it!!!!

The thing that I enjoy the most about the phone is the speed, display, and NOT worrying about when it's going to die. It really does take some serious effort!!!

Can't wait for others to start confirming similar results!!!

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget about this video... from real reviewer!!!! He states he is a power user getting 5 hrs SOT. I've suggested 6hrs for power users... not too far off.. No!?! I'm sure be is using finger print, wifi, location...

5 hours of screen on time is great. 6 is possible too it seems.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Since CPU Foreground was mentioned, then I'll just leave this here:

http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...-cpu-total-cpu-foreground-and-keep-awake-mean

Right. I know how that works.

I'm trying to figure out how it's so low, based on the time the apps are alive.

Looking at some papers from a friend about the 820 as a starting point.

Then to try disabling some of the things he has disabled, though I don't think that's it.

Not sure what's going on here. But I think if it can be figured out, people might like to know :)

Whatever it is, it's related to the low foreground app usage.

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Your Actually syncing at that time hence the burning of the battery double time but once thats done your phone will moderate and you will experience better battery life. It happens to all phones

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes density and capacity are two different things and density doesn't matter for the battery life, capacity does.

All right, can you do us some favor if you don't mind? Just turn those features back on and see what happens for next couple of days under your normal usage pattern. I mean turning fingerprint sensor, WiFi and location (at high accuracy but history off) on and I think that's how most people use smart-phone these days. Normally I would think those effects would be about 10~20% at most, but maybe it could be more for G5 or not. That will tell if you really got a unicorn unit or there is some magic setting in G5 for battery.

Density allows more capacity in a smaller space but 2800 is 2800