G5 owners - happy or not?

losyur

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
I am seeing a lot of negativity about the G5 - maybe just that it's often the people having a bad experience post on forums, and those who are happy are busy playing with their phone. Or maybe there is a QA problem. Or maybe this phone is really a "love it" or "hate it" thing. G5 owners, what's your experience?

I have a Verizon silver G5, and am very happy with it. I am coming from a three year old S4, so I have not used any recent flagship phones, so maybe that colors my perception a bit. The chin fits flush, no scratches or cosmetic damage, and the screen (to me) is bright and beautiful, no easily apparent bleed. It feels good in my hand. I will certainly be keeping it.

I know others are having a bad experience - how's your G5?

I like G5. It makes really amazing photos!
Couldn't wait any longer for HTC 10 to come. I think I didn't make anything wrong choosing G5!

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So far so good after a week in. My wife loves hers! So I'll be keeping an eye out for any problems.

For as much love as I have for Samsung there are things I love about the g5. The ir blaster, camera, no buttons...

Posted via the Android Central App

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Here are my second first impressions (this is the second time I've received the G5, first one was defective and had too many faults to accept and in less than 3 hours of playing with it, it was in a box back to Amazon).

Device build is good. Doesn't feel as premium as my S7E.

Screen brightness is fine, not as bright either. Today was a rather dark and rainy day. Tomorrow I'll be out and about and I'll comment back at some point.

Battery isn't as good as my S7E but it is very good! Here are my statistics for my first charge.
10fba67c91b903f4236693c2cb9e1f3a.jpg
9fd36a1ca8c54c990c911105e7186131.jpg
1190bf6043f45315ce30aa6819ba9165.jpg
99762e8059f83cf7972f98eb757e39f1.jpg

So I'll be able to get over 4 hours of SOT at 100 brightness. For about 5 hours while at the office I had terrible coverage. I did disable 4g since I never have a use for it, and everything goes over Wifi or 3G.

Volume is superior to the S7E.

And the camera... Wow... Well this is where I can go a bit crazy. It's superb but also misses some things here and there. So I won't post anything more for today about the camera. I will upload sooner or later a comparison!

Generally speaking I'm happy.

My worries?
Battery life
Construction durability over time, as mentioned before, the paint chipping...

The modules I couldn't care less a about...

SunToucher

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm very happy with my G5 and I believe I'm in the minority when I say this, but I like the look of the G5. Camera is great, UI is very fluid and fast when opening and closing apps, as well as very configurable. All in all its a great phone.

Bruno Slivar

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
I am very happy with my g5. Battery is just perfect. I have before g4 and in the middle of the day i need charge him. Now on g5 i have battery all day long. I have 7h sot. Brightness automatic

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Two weeks now with 2 G5s in the family. One has a clear Speck case, the other a black Seidio holster case. This phone is amazing. The battery life is the best of any phone I have ever seen or owned. If my wife can go all day and forget to charge overnight sometimes then it is a complete winner (the quick charge does help with this too). The battery swap is easier than any phone, the UX is fluid (we are using the 4.0 Home UX as I like the app drawer button), everything else is stock. The only complaint I have is the screen...mainly the shape. With flat phones the glare is bad (loved by G4 screen) and with sunglasses on, the polarization sucks in portrait mode ( LG had it perfect with the G4).

Overall the G5 is better than the G4 and hands down better than the S6/S7 is many ways. IF they would have kept the hardware shape and design of the G4 and put all the specs and battery tech into that housing it would be a phone I would never upgrade as it could never be beat. Way to go LG, Samsung fanboys (almost as bad as apple fanboys) need to really get off the koolaid and try this phone. This is innovative yet packs a punch, whereas most other phone manufacturers are just riding the tide of previous successes.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Two weeks now with 2 G5s in the family. One has a clear Speck case, the other a black Seidio holster case. This phone is amazing. The battery life is the best of any phone I have ever seen or owned. If my wife can go all day and forget to charge overnight sometimes then it is a complete winner (the quick charge does help with this too). The battery swap is easier than any phone, the UX is fluid (we are using the 4.0 Home UX as I like the app drawer button), everything else is stock. The only complaint I have is the screen...mainly the shape. With flat phones the glare is bad (loved by G4 screen) and with sunglasses on, the polarization sucks in portrait mode ( LG had it perfect with the G4).

Overall the G5 is better than the G4 and hands down better than the S6/S7 is many ways. IF they would have kept the hardware shape and design of the G4 and put all the specs and battery tech into that housing it would be a phone I would never upgrade as it could never be beat. Way to go LG, Samsung fanboys (almost as bad as apple fanboys) need to really get off the koolaid and try this phone. This is innovative yet packs a punch, whereas most other phone manufacturers are just riding the tide of previous successes.

How do you like the Seidio case? Seems like there is a good deal on it.
The case is 29 and the holster is reduced from 29 to 10 as an add on purchase. Then there is 30 percent off promo code

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The case is awesome, slim and the back slides off halfway up. This allows me to still quickly remove the battery on the bottom if needed, and yes the deal was awesome. Definitely give it a try.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The case is awesome, slim and the back slides off halfway up. This allows me to still quickly remove the battery on the bottom if needed, and yes the deal was awesome. Definitely give it a try.

Not sure what you mean by slides off halfway up

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Now I see what you mean....I was hoping someone made a split case.
What color did you get? I wish they had grey but I guess the black will have to do

DJeremyC

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Yah, I got the black one as its more professional for work etc. the split is about 2" from the bottom of the phone, and a bit snug to fit at first, but if you get it and take it in and out a few time then it works perfectly for quickly swapping batteries.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yah, I got the black one as its more professional for work etc. the split is about 2" from the bottom of the phone, and a bit snug to fit at first, but if you get it and take it in and out a few time then it works perfectly for quickly swapping batteries.

Is there a second one piece rubber layer underneath?
Can't find a good description and for some models it looks like two layers

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

Very well written, enjoy the new devices as long as possible.

Side note, since I read the Apple products forums also, they keep their opinion in house (what I mean, of course "Apple is number one and the others are lagging behind, copying the innovations, they are just small players", but I haven't met those guys/ladies at the BlackBerry or Android forums, repeating over and over again how everything else falls behind Apple's products. This, of course, just my opinion).

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
The battery swap is easier than any phone

As far as phones with removable batteries go, swapping out batteries is tougher on the G5 than on pretty much any phone I've owned (the last 2 being a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy S5). It will be interesting to see a year from now if the phones don't start breaking due to battery swaps.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
As far as phones with removable batteries go, swapping out batteries is tougher on the G5 than on pretty much any phone I've owned (the last 2 being a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy S5). It will be interesting to see a year from now if the phones don't start breaking due to battery swaps.

Not to disprove your point, you're absolutely right. The removable bit is troubling. It's something I think about. It's something I fear will ware over time. I does scare me.

All that to say I've swapped battery's twice on my G5. Really just for the sake of doing it, trying it after receiving my free battery. The battery life in this phone is fantastic. I've owned my G5 since the 3rd of April.

Just my two cents. I'm sure many feel differently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles