B&O DAC Module Might Not Come To the US?

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I hope I received wrong information on this one. I stopped by an AT&T store today and happened to see an LG rep. My first question was about the module availability and he had a pained look on his face and said there is something in the interface that needs to create a switch to the module that won't work in the US phones. I've never spoken with any rep in my life so I don't know how much stock you can put it this information.

But I know that I have seen them as being listed soon to go on sale in the UK and I know there hasn't been any whisper of it coming in the US, so I have to think that while "never" is a strong word, it could very well explain the delay we are seeing along with the total lack of US sale information or pricing.

I hope this is wrong......or hope they fix it soon if it is true.....

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It won't work right now because it's not FCC approved.

"The Hi-Fi Plus — well, we don't have availability details on that just yet. And, in fact, because it's not yet cleared for use by the FCC, it won't work in U.S. models of the G5 just yet. (It sounds great on the European phone we've been using, though, and it'll work when connected to a separate source.)"

LG G5 unboxing: Bringing some 'Friends' along for the ride | Android Central

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It won't work right now because it's not FCC approved.

"The Hi-Fi Plus — well, we don't have availability details on that just yet. And, in fact, because it's not yet cleared for use by the FCC, it won't work in U.S. models of the G5 just yet. (It sounds great on the European phone we've been using, though, and it'll work when connected to a separate source.)"

LG G5 unboxing: Bringing some 'Friends' along for the ride | Android Central

That's good to know.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: B&O DAC Module Might Not Come To the US?

Yep another recent article here confirms the DAC won't be available for G5 for the foreseeable future in North America...considering the mixed reviews the G5 is getting this is another blow. As an audiophile I was willing to consider the G5 but now that's not available I'll wait for M10 or successor to V10...

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-hi-fi-plus-dac-module-availability-685502/

thisisjason

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
So, the G5 only has one extra module available now? Oh the endless possibilities!

If they had just built the DAC and Amp into the phone like the V10, this wouldn't have been an issue, cause the V10 made it here just fine. This modular concept is looking dumber by the day

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Sad, the G5 has few "friends." I hope LG has a follow up soon with DAC built in, 5.5" display, audio jack on the bottom and volume/power buttons on the rear where they belong!

mattdamiz85

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I feel sorry for the poor saps that purchased this phone. Just a matter of time til real issues start cropping up. Loose fitting modules or broken battery clips. (That plastic piece on the end of the removable battery) I really wanted to love this device but in the end I was fooling myself. Lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

orangeman

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: B&O DAC Module Might Not Come To the US?

It has to be more than FCC. The rep never mentioned FCC at all, and consider the other countries that won't be getting it. They dont have FCC.

What they attempted was very ambitious. Each piece has a manufacturing tolerance so when the metal edges match up and take into account distance from edge to clip, even it varies by the thickness of 1 or 2 human hairs, it's going to look horrible.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I feel sorry for the poor saps that purchased this phone. Just a matter of time til real issues start cropping up. Loose fitting modules or broken battery clips. (That plastic piece on the end of the removable battery) I really wanted to love this device but in the end I was fooling myself. Lol.

I don't need your sympathy