Finally!! LG G5 and common SENSE!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Great read. I couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic device and I couldn't be happier. In fact, after a couple of days with the phone I hope LG keeps this design language for a while. I think this is what a Nexus 5P would be like.

dnalevelc

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I was worried after seeing some reviews that I was going to get a crap phone, but as soon a I took it out of the box I was amazed at how clean it looked. Even the module section sits very flush. I love the clean design.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Great read. I couldn't agree more. It's a fantastic device and I couldn't be happier. In fact, after a couple of days with the phone I hope LG keeps this design language for a while. I think this is what a Nexus 5P would be like.
I hate to say it, but I'm in the camp of "This doesn't look good", even in person.

The arrangement of the camera lenses and the laser autofocus + flash/color spectrum sensor modules looks off to me, kinda like the face of one of those iconic toy robots. And while the hump around the camera module and fingerprint sensor + power button combo isn't as pronounced in person, the way it looks reminds me of the Nexus 6P render.

That's just my opinion, and even though the latter doesn't bug me because I slap a case on all my phones, it's the look of the camera module that kinda makes my OCD go wild.

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Brilliant article. I've never seen a backlight bleed test in a phone review before, although I know what it is. All LCD panels will have it, its the nature of the tech. Why has no-one ever taken an iPhone into a dark room and rubbished its backlight bleed, or been outraged that it doesnt have an app drawer. It's really unfair how LG have been dragged through the mud recently with this phone. Dodgy review units excepted of course (Erika clearly got a ropey one there).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant article. I've never seen a backlight bleed test in a phone review before, although I know what it is. All LCD panels will have it, its the nature of the tech. Why has no-one ever taken an iPhone into a dark room and rubbished its backlight bleed, or been outraged that it doesnt have an app drawer. It's really unfair how LG have been dragged through the mud recently with this phone. Dodgy review units excepted of course (Erika clearly got a ropey one there).
I actually did a light-bleed test on my soon-to-be-sold LG G4 and my iPad Pro 12.9.

Let's be honest. No LCD display is 110% free from backlight-bleed, so I'm not looking for a really-dark screen. I'm looking for any signs of light-bleed and seeing if it's as minimal as possible.

The LG G4 had almost zero light-bleed, minus 4 weird spots on each corner captured by the camera, but they're hard to see with my eyes. Ditto for the iPad Pro, though you can see a tiny bit on the right side.
LGG4.jpg ipadpro12.jpg
(LG G4 is on the top, the iPad Pro 12.9 is on the bottom)

On the flip side, some G5 units, including ones by Android Police, seem to have pretty bad backlight bleed by comparison.
nexus2cee_DSC02061_thumb.jpg

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I'm in the camp of "This doesn't look good", even in person.

The arrangement of the camera lenses and the laser autofocus + flash/color spectrum sensor modules looks off to me, kinda like the face of one of those iconic toy robots. And while the hump around the camera module and fingerprint sensor + power button combo isn't as pronounced in person, the way it looks reminds me of the Nexus 6P render.

That's just my opinion, and even though the latter doesn't bug me because I slap a case on all my phones, it's the look of the camera module that kinda makes my OCD go wild.

I thought you were dead set on the S7?!? Did you get it or are you still undecided?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought you were dead set on the S7?!? Did you get it or are you still undecided?
I didn't buy the LG G5. I just looked at one in the store for a few minutes just to see what it's all about.

And I wasn't actually dead-set on the S7 edge. I mentioned before that I was waiting for the Note 6.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
It never amazes how folks can say be satisfied with lines streaking across the back of a phone or weird deformities by the camera models just because you are going to slap a case on it, If this was a free device yes probably wouldn't matter but if you just paid 700.00 for something regardless of how good it feels and that you are covering it up with a case you can't simply be like deal with it thats never the right way. Second for those saying you will never see light bleed that may be true until you use a dark wallpaper or watch a video that has dark back grounds in a not so bright room then it will be evident so while I am still waiting for mine and praying it doesn't have noticeable exterior issues I also do not think you should except something for the sake of agreeing and wanting to be in some majority or minority of folks showing loyalty. You wouldn't do that if with anything else you have paid for.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It never amazes how folks can say be satisfied with lines streaking across the back of a phone or weird deformities by the camera models just because you are going to slap a case on it, If this was a free device yes probably wouldn't matter but if you just paid 700.00 for something regardless of how good it feels and that you are covering it up with a case you can't simply be like deal with it thats never the right way. Second for those saying you will never see light bleed that may be true until you use a dark wallpaper or watch a video that has dark back grounds in a not so bright room then it will be evident so while I am still waiting for mine and praying it doesn't have noticeable exterior issues I also do not think you should except something for the sake of agreeing and wanting to be in some majority or minority of folks showing loyalty. You wouldn't do that if with anything else you have paid for.
I think those folks may have got lucky and received better units.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware you dislike the G5, lol. I meant if you purchased the S7 and if not, why? Are you still undecided?
Well, I don't dislike the G5. I'm just venting my shock and frustration at the quality issues since they leave a serious mark on what is otherwise a pretty solid phone.

And the reason I didn't pull the trigger on the S7 edge yet is precisely because I'm waiting for the Note 6. If the Note 6 disappoints (which it likely won't) or if my G4 dies prematurely before the sale, then I'll get the S7.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm not making fun of you but I never thought of worrying about what a camera lens looks like.

Posted via the Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't dislike the G5. I'm just venting my shock and frustration at the quality issues since they leave a serious mark on what is otherwise a pretty solid phone.

And the reason I didn't pull the trigger on the S7 edge yet is precisely because I'm waiting for the Note 6. If the Note 6 disappoints (which it likely won't) or if my G4 dies prematurely before the sale, then I'll get the S7.

Well, I'm hoping the QC issues are a minor thing. I'm sure LG will tighten/fix them if they care enough about selling these devices. I think the real issues here (for me at least) are functionality and battery life. I was unhappy about a few things that LG did with the G5 at first but I've been holding back my judgement until I see and play with one in person....still haven't. I'm also waiting for the Note 6 and the V11(?) since unlike your G4, aside from a heat up here and there, its been working very well so I can hold out. My only gripe with Samsung phones are their slow downs over time. Is their memory management the culprit here?!? I hope Samsung has remedied those issues with their latest devices. Until I know for sure, I'd be hesitant about purchasing one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm not making fun of you but I never thought of worrying about what a camera lens looks like.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

There it's no light bleed on mine except under test conditions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36