Android Central LG G5 Review (OFFICIAL)

Kevin Hill2

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I really did not like the look of the phone when they first introduced it, it has kind of grew on me. Truth be told, 99% of the buyers of this phone will never take the bottom off of it, ever, they won't have to worry about chipped paint, they will not care about modules, they will like the idea that they can change batteries, but they will never buy a spare battery. The APP drawer missing, I don't like but that is an easy fix. If the bottom is miss aligned by a micro, big deal, you are all going to put a case on it anyway. I never use auto brightness, they all stink when it comes to that. No, it is not a Samsung super duper G7, but then I don't think they are that great other than the Camera. I think everyone is getting a little bias, It is not a good phone unless it says Apple or Samsung on it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
SD and Removable battery are both detraction from the device to me. Not including the better camera and improved DAC standard are definitely a detraction. No improvement on screen camera, going backwards on battery life, going backwards on build quality, horribad update schedule, poor physical design layout, etc, etc. Just having two or three random features that a tiny group of people want to have doesn't make for a good phone. The device needs to be better than the sum of its parts. This one just isn't - and the parts aren't that great to begin with.

Bottom line: You get a phone with a decent screen, decent camera, bad battery life, bad physical and software design, poor record on security and updates, poor build quality and some "optional" features that should have been included standard. The volume buttons are on the wrong side, power button is duplicate function as FPS (fail), front bottom bezel isn't the same color/material as the top bezel and isn't flush, blah, blah, blah - long story short, #nope.

I know I'm being harsh, but this is your flagship. We're not playing the same game as 5 years ago, the spec war is over - it's time to focus on fit, finish and execution.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
going backwards on battery life

Reducing battery size is not the same as reducing battery life.

I'm getting much longer battery life on my G5 than I was with my G4, and it has everything to do with better optimization with the Snapdragon 820 and the smaller screen, which I prefer, because I can one hand type much better with my G5.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm getting much longer battery life on my G5 than I was with my G4, and it has everything to do with better optimization with the Snapdragon 820 and the smaller screen, which I prefer, because I can one hand type much better with my G5.

I'm going by the review, so including the YMMV thing is valid. My assumption is that your device usage and signal and other things that impact battery are different from Phil's. The review said battery life wasn't making it through the day, which when all of the better devices are easily blowing through a day, that's a problem. I'd say even with it being a removable battery, but I'd mean "especially" with it being a removable battery. Because that means the opportunity cost is somewhat intentional. I'm also making a bit of another assumption, because my wife's G4 easily ran through a day - but hers usage is probably also wildly different from Phil's.

All that said, I'm glad you like it :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Yes...I remember a comparison stating that the G5 got an extra hour over the G4

Posted via the Android Central App

bsannes

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I think this phone is nice . I finally got to hold one in person and its not as bad in the hand as some places was making it out to be. My issue actually came from three things.
1. The power button/finger print reader felt mushy like it could come unseated
2. The screen, yes it was nice but it looks small in the foot print of the phone and not as bright, looked the same as my G3.
3. The module wasn't lined up on the side of the phone and that would bug me even if I have the phone in a case.

Notice all my gripes are personal preference and not usability of the phone. The phone was fast and from reports the battery is good. I would have liked to see a better screen . But still think this is a nice phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think this phone is nice . I finally got to hold one in person and its not as bad in the hand as some places was making it out to be. My issue actually came from three things.
1. The power button/finger print reader felt mushy like it could come unseated
2. The screen, yes it was nice but it looks small in the foot print of the phone and not as bright, looked the same as my G3.
3. The module wasn't lined up on the side of the phone and that would bug me even if I have the phone in a case.

Notice all my gripes are personal preference and not usability of the phone. The phone was fast and from reports the battery is good. I would have liked to see a better screen . But still think this is a nice phone.

Maybe somethings wrong with your button

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Maybe somethings wrong with your button

I don't know about squishy but the sensation is less of a click that in could be. It took me a while to get used to it. I don't long for something different but I *think* I might know what you mean.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm going by the review, so including the YMMV thing is valid. My assumption is that your device usage and signal and other things that impact battery are different from Phil's. The review said battery life wasn't making it through the day, which when all of the better devices are easily blowing through a day, that's a problem. I'd say even with it being a removable battery, but I'd mean "especially" with it being a removable battery. Because that means the opportunity cost is somewhat intentional. I'm also making a bit of another assumption, because my wife's G4 easily ran through a day - but hers usage is probably also wildly different from Phil's.

All that said, I'm glad you like it :)

The review stated this about the battery "That's on par with what we've seen from the other major Snapdragon 820 phone — the Samsung Galaxy S7". So if you are getting a phone with a 820 expect what you believe is bad battery life.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49