Nova Prime Launcher and Fingerprint Scanner not working!

1tnvol

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I have concluded using Nova Prime Launcher with LG G5 - When using Nova gestures to lock the screen such as knock to lock (a huge feature for LG that is not included in Nova free version), the fingerprint scanner to unlock stops working. If I allow the phone to timeout or I power lock it then fingerprint scanner to unlock works fine, which is telling me the Android OS is working as usual and the Nova Prime feature is not when locking with Nova gestures to lock. This needs a fast fix!!!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here is what I have concluded using Nova Prime Launcher with LG G5 - When using Nova gestures to lock the screen such as knock to lock (a huge feature for LG that is not included in Nova free version), the fingerprint scanner to unlock stops working. If I allow the phone to timeout or I power lock it then fingerprint scanner to unlock works fine, which is telling me the Android OS is working as usual and the Nova Prime feature is not when locking with Nova gestures to lock. This needs a fast fix!!!

I used to use launchers when all phones had bad skins.... I have since given up on them and I usually run stock

Posted via the Android Central App

1tnvol

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I have never used a launcher but thought I would give it a go. The free version is OK but misses the knock to lock working properly with the fingerprint scanner in the paid version. I hope they fix it I have seen many with these same issues.

Big06Daddy

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Did you set up a gesture or are you knocking the status bar to lock the phone? I have the paid version but trying knocking a empty spot on the status bar to lock the phone and see if that fixes your finger scan issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The double tap in Nova locks the screen and will require password, etc. to open. Fingerprint will not work. The same is true for all of the apps that allow double tapping to lock the phone. Something in the code for Marshmallow only allows locking and not just putting the screen to sleep. Double tapping the notification bar or hitting the lock button will work as it should with the fingerprint scanner working. .

gcliff23

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Gdwheel is correct, using a gesture or anything other than double tapping the status bar or letting it timeout will not allow you to use the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone. On my previous phones I'd use the screen off and lock app to be enabled by using the swipe down gesture to turn off the screen. Even using that app with the G5 won't let me unlock with the fingerprint sensor

mdyer101

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue with Nova. I finally figured it out. Uninstall Nova launcher then reinstall it. When you choose Nova as your default launcher it will give you a pop up that tells you if you choose to give Nova some permission I can't remember what it was now that it will disabled the fingerprint sensor. Just go slow and read all the prompts and don't agree to that one. I thought my phone was bad but it wasn't. Works perfectly now using Nova. Hope this helps.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The setting is device administrator. You don't have to remove Nova and re-add it, you can just turn it off as a device administrator and screen unlock will go back to working normally. The same is true with apps like screen notifications and nils.

1tnvol

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
So when you did this permission denial and used knock to lock (or gesture to lock) you were able to successfully use fingerprint scanner to unlock it after using gesture to lock?

1tnvol

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear. Nova is the admin, using gesture lock with Prime launcher will lock the phone but the issue is when Nova locks the screen via gesture fingerprint doesn't work from the OS. Allowing the screen to time out or to power lock is using the OS lock and fingerprint will work as that is Marshmallow. It is a fight between the programs to have control over screen control. Either Nova or OS but it seems not both. I have uninstalled, rebooted, and tried OS as screen admin, which takes away from Prime as a launcher for knock or any gesture and this issue exists. The only way that gesture lock works correctly for fingerprint scanner is with the Marshmallow OS. If I gesture lock using Prime I have to unlock with my OS code. Seems to me Nova needs to find a way to allow the program to integrate somewhat to allow screen gesture lock to depend on the phone OS. If someone can gesture lock (like with knock) using Nova Prime and then fingerprint unlock please let me know because all the threads I have read no one can do this sequence successfully except for what mdyer101 stated.

>Nova Prime is the screen admin for full feature use of the program.
>Gesture lock using Nova Prime particularly knock knock.
>Unlock successfully using fingerprint scanner.
>I would love to be wrong and know there is a specific setting to allow it all to work together not something turned off to allow this. That takes away from the paid feature in my book. Staying stock for now.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I tried Nova for 5-10 minutes and simply could not get it to unlock my V10 screen with the overall efficiency of stock Android and the knock-knock taps. Sadly because it was great in every other way.

1tnvol

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
So someone said it and it just clicked in my head. I reinstalled the free version and knocked to lock on the android notification bar and boom. Locks and fingerprint scanner unlocks with free version. Tested it a few times and it works! Granted I cant knock anywhere on the screen but maybe I will try the paid version again and see if this resolves. I will let you know if so.

Fix = Nova free knock on the notification bar at the top of the screen and fingerprint scanner will unlock the phone. Paid I will let you know later if I try or someone with Prime test and let us know save me some money lol.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
So someone said it and it just clicked in my head. I reinstalled the free version and knocked to lock on the android notification bar and boom. Locks and fingerprint scanner unlocks with free version. Tested it a few times and it works! Granted I cant knock anywhere on the screen but maybe I will try the paid version again and see if this resolves. I will let you know if so.

Fix = Nova free knock on the notification bar at the top of the screen and fingerprint scanner will unlock the phone. Paid I will let you know later if I try or someone with Prime test and let us know save me some money lol.

It works the same with the paid version. Knocking on the notification bar will turn the screen off and the fingerprint scanner will work to unlock.

dlancep1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I cannot get Nova Prime double tap on notification bar to work at all on my Galaxy S7 Edge, it just tries to open the notification tray no matter where I knock on it. How do I get this enabled?

KeKyKo

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
This does not work for me. I always get "..................................because of security policy" Meaning finger print is not enough to open my phone. I am so bummed.

anon(10014328)

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I cannot get Nova Prime double tap on notification bar to work at all on my Galaxy S7 Edge, it just tries to open the notification tray no matter where I knock on it. How do I get this enabled?

I'm pretty sure that the double-tap to lock on the notification bar is only an LG thing. I could be wrong, but it's never worked on any other brand of phone I've come across.

dvdpo

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the double-tap to lock on the notification bar is only an LG thing. I could be wrong, but it's never worked on any other brand of phone I've come across.

This is because when you double-tap on the notification bar you are doing it outside the Nova launcher, so it follows the stock launcher behavior.
I have an LG g5, and even if I turn off the double tap lock in Nova, I will be able to lock by double-tapping on the notification bar and using the fingerprint to unlock, following the phone's stock behavior.

Please someone find out how to enable fingerprint unlocking with any 3rd party launcher. I see the same issue with other launcher apps.

antykat

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
In advanced settings of Nova choose "Screen lock method" -> "Timeout". Then after double tap and 30 seconds screen will be locked. After that you can use fingerprint sensor successfully to unlock screen. Sorry for my english.

GeeksMantra

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Of course, Nova needs to look into the issue as a matter of screen lock methods for Rooted/Unrooted devices.
But for the time being what nova has developed yet can be seen in its advanced settings:

Open 'Nova Launcher Settings' > Scroll it down and find 'Advanced' > Under this drop down menu find 'Screen Lock Method'

You will find the following 2 options:

1. Device Admin: Immediately fully lock the device, requiring a PIN to unlock. This will not allow fingerprint to unlock.

2. Timeout: Show a black screen for 5 seconds while the screen timeouts and turns off. This will respect your device's normal security settings when the screen times out, allowing fingerprint scanners to unlock.

As per my point of view (might be different in your case) Timeout option seems to be good enough for the time being until unless issue is resolved.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20