Adding a Word to the T9 Dictionary

phimc30

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I got my new G5 yesterday. I've been a big fan of T9 predictive texting for years n years. However I can't see an option to add a new word to the dictionary on the G5 when texting, and I like to use slang and colloquialisms and whatnot. I've checked the online manuals but they haven't helped. Has anybody worked out how to do this?

Thanks!

tabberkev

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I think you just click on the word (when its underlined in red) and choose "Add to dictionary". I use SwiftKey though, so it could be different with the built in LG keyboard.

phimc30

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response.

On my phone a non-dictionary word isn't underlined in red. When I select the word the only options are Cut, Copy, Paste, Share, Clip Tray and Select All.

There HAS to be a way to do this!

phimc30

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
So I finally worked this out.

When writing a message using the 'Phone Keyboard', you need to press on the options wheel below the T9 button. Then select 'Word Suggestions' -> 'Personal Dictionary' -> and then you can add words to the dictionary.

It's a clunky method compared to other phones I've used, and the dictionary doesn't immediately use the newly added word - you have to wait a few seconds before it's available - but it works.

I guess most people just use the QWERTY keyboard when writing messages??

supremedalek

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
1) The options wheel no longer appears under my T9 button, because that is the only place it would let me put the voice-to-text icon.

2) I found the dictionary, but it will not let me enter words with apostrophes. My LG G3 "smart" phone REFUSES to accept the word "hasn't" in any form. It'll type has't, harnt, or hasnt but it absolutely refuses to accept the correct spelling. Why? And why won't it let me add the word? It led me add "didn't" into the dictionary but now it says the apostrophe is an invalid character. WTF?!?!?!?

woofster

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I posted a question about this in an older thread but didn't get any responses. In any case, I've since found a solution to all my shortcut typing woes simply by using the Google Keyboard instead of the LG Keyboard. The Google Keyboard dictionary allows words with punctuations as well as a shortcut word corresponding to that new word you added.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463