I don't care what they say, removable batteries are where its at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I left the house at noon today and used my phone on GPS on my car running on battery. After 45 minutes hoped to my brothers car and used my phone again to navigate and couldn't plug in. We drove for about an hour and a half to our fishing charter. Battery lasted most of the trip from 3:30 to 8:30. I swapped it out at 15 percent around 7:30 with about 20 percent left. Got home after using GPS all the way and ended up with 55 percent left. I don't care how big a battery you have in a phone you can't beat having two 2800 batteries. I actually carry a third one but have yet to need more than two and have never depleted the second one. Of course I plug in when I can but sometimes its great to know I've got plenty of backup

Posted via the Android Central App

disney4life2005

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The interchangeable Battery and the Cameras make this phone a contender. Water resistance wound have been great but A Life Proof case fixes that.

disney4life2005

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That case is expensive.... Is it easy to remove to swap out batteries?

Only would use that case on beach trips or to the water parks. The phone easily last the few hours needed for that. Daily routines my cases are from Amazon for about 13 bucks..and haven't had a problem

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just depends from person to person. In your case it worked out well -- I rarely ever run into a situation where I am not able to charge or have enough life.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just depends from person to person. In your case it worked out well -- I rarely ever run into a situation where I am not able to charge or have enough life.

Well sometimes when several family members are in your car or you are someone's car and all charging ports are in use you need to run off battery. Also its nice when you are using it as a mounted GPS to run off battery without being tethered to a power supply. I can think of lots of reasons a removable battery is very convenient to have. I hated when I lost that capability on my last two Moto phones. I definitely noticed the battery degradation over time. Great to be able to simply replace the battery when it loses Its capacity.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well sometimes when several family members are in your car or you are someone's car and all charging ports are in use you need to run off battery. Also its nice when you are using it as a mounted GPS to run off battery without being tethered to a power supply. I can think of lots of reasons a removable battery is very convenient to have. I hated when I lost that capability on my last two Moto phones. I definitely noticed the battery degradation over time. Great to be able to simply replace the battery when it loses Its capacity.

I haven't / doubt I will run into a situation where we all need to charge that bad. As for using GPS and it charging -- that doesn't bother me either. Why would I care if a cord is going to the phone when it is mounted to the window for GPS purposes? The cord being there has no affect on anything I need it for.

I replace my phones way too often to worry about the battery degrading that bad to the point of needing to replace. Again these are my needs and I am glad it works for you but it doesn't mean those who say they don't need it or wrong .. we all have different lives ;).

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree! A user-replaceable battery is about freedom; freedom to use the phone as hard as you want knowing there's a fully charged spare (or spares if you so choose) always at the ready to get back to an immediate full charge again (I use this often where I'm out and about all day and take a spare battery along). Freedom to use and abuse a battery without worry for its longevity since it can be easily replaced at minimal cost (no built-in obsolescence!). Freedom to never have to connect the phone itself to a charging source leaving it always untethered free to be used anytime (without a cable or charging pack connected to it).

I love all that freedom and why I consider a user-replaceable battery a must have feature! :)

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. No need to carry a cord and a spare charger, no need to make sure the charger is charged, no need to make sure the charger is connected to the phone while in my pocket, no need to worry that someone else has used up the charge on your spare charger first, and no need to make sure that there is a spare connection to use.

I had a multi-week class with kids this past month. I'd bring my spare portable charger and various cords I've accumulated in case any of them needed it (and someone always would). It was always first come, first served on the charger and hope that it hadn't been drained already. I was fine as I had my spare battery tucked away in case I ever needed an instant 100% charge. I love the removable battery option.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I haven't / doubt I will run into a situation where we all need to charge that bad. As for using GPS and it charging -- that doesn't bother me either. Why would I care if a cord is going to the phone when it is mounted to the window for GPS purposes? The cord being there has no affect on anything I need it for.

I replace my phones way too often to worry about the battery degrading that bad to the point of needing to replace. Again these are my needs and I am glad it works for you but it doesn't mean those who say they don't need it or wrong .. we all have different lives ;).
Having a replaceable battery has many positives and few negatives

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
In your opinion, sure. I don't share your views on the positives since they don't mean that much to me.

It doesn't matter if you don't agree, the positives still exist. If you don't need a removable battery you should choose a phone that suits you. Good luck with your choice.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter if you don't agree, the positives still exist. If you don't need a removable battery you should choose a phone that suits you. Good luck with your choice.

Exactly. I was just commenting on what someone who disagrees thinks :). You're welcome to believe they are better than sealed but that is why we have choices versus things like iPhones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly. I was just commenting on what someone who disagrees thinks :). You're welcome to believe they are better than sealed but that is why we have choices versus things like iPhones.

That was the whole of me starting this thread.... I don't care what the non beleivers say.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what they say, having a removable battery actually turns me off on a phone. The opportunity cost is WAY too high and the problem a removable battery solves went away over 3 years ago.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think stuff like removable batteries and quick charging should complement and support good battery life.

I don't think they're a good excuse for average to poor battery life.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Up until I had a G4 I haven't run a phone with a removable battery since the S3. I didn't miss it. My particular use case isn't so heavy that a removable battery is a main feature I look for in a device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There are times when I miss it, but I prioritize it lower on my list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463