Horrible Battery Life

mikeleto83

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I've had my G5 since April. The battery life continues to get worse. Not sure what is causing the quick drain. I'm on Verizon. I have a spare battery and both have the same issue. I go through 2-3 full batteries per day. Any idea?

Posted via the Android Central App

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed my battery life has seriously started slipping as well. I've had my phone since May and also have 2 spare batteries. I'd noticed a steady decline during the summer but am now noticing drastic declines.

Part of it MIGHT be that I've switched buildings recently at work (and the reception isn't as great in this building), but I can't see it being that entirely. I take it off the overnight charger around 4:45am and go to work around 7:45am. By noon, I could easily be down to 50-60% with very little use (occasionally looking at it for news, or looking up something briefly on a website). I have checked the battery usages, but there's nothing glaring. Screen and Phone Idle are typically the top 2 spots.

If you notice anything, please update this thread, and I'll do the same.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed my battery life has seriously started slipping as well. I've had my phone since May and also have 2 spare batteries. I'd noticed a steady decline during the summer but am now noticing drastic declines.

Part of it MIGHT be that I've switched buildings recently at work (and the reception isn't as great in this building), but I can't see it being that entirely. I take it off the overnight charger around 4:45am and go to work around 7:45am. By noon, I could easily be down to 50-60% with very little use (occasionally looking at it for news, or looking up something briefly on a website). I have checked the battery usages, but there's nothing glaring. Screen and Phone Idle are typically the top 2 spots.

If you notice anything, please update this thread, and I'll do the same.

Bad reception will do it to any phone

mikeleto83

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
My two biggest uses in battery usage are screen and phone idle. I only get one bar of cell reception in my house and one bar at work. That's probably causing the drainage. Verizon gave me a new sim card and reset the phone but it hasn't helped. Very frustrating.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Could you please post a screenshot of your battery life for over the course of the day? That way, we can have a better look at what's sucking up your power.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's been known to be that way in this particular building for some people with some phones. My Galaxy S5 never had this kind of battery drainage in the same building.

It is true that low/no signal will cause drainage on devices. My Nexus 5 found that out the hard way when it was in my locker at work. Constantly searching for a signal will cause battery drainage. Curious that some phones have this issue in your building whereas others do not, though. Do you know what carriers any of these individuals use?

jek48

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Most people are on Verizon here. I don't connect to the wifi (because it's restricted), and I keep my GPS off. Today, it's doing much better, but still not great. One thing that's different about today is that I turned off the fingerprint access to the phone. Normally I like to keep it activated while at work, but today I forgot. Tomorrow I'm going to try turning it on again and see if that changes the battery usage.

Screen and phone idle are typically the biggest battery usage for me while at work, but not today (14% and 7%). For whatever reason, "Maps" is the biggest usage today at a whopping 38%. The strange this is, I haven't used maps for anything!!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Glad that things were a bit better for you! I've never had fingerprint scanners/access on my devices; so I'm unsure if that kind of function takes up battery usage/if it runs in the background, etc. As far as Maps go, that is quite strange that it took up so much of your battery usage; yet you never used it. Especially if your GPS is turned off...

Let us know how your battery fares tomorrow; and what apps/functions are taking up the most battery percentage.

Joltcola1234

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had my G5 for about a month and the battery is great so far, I guess we'll see how it holds up.

I typically take my phone off charge at about 6:30am
When I go to bed around 10:00pm - 11:00pm I'm usually still above 30%

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read every comment, a big one is using a brick that's not from LG or properly compliant with quick charging. If the Volt's/amps and what not don't match up you could be killing your batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome