Is this a legit concern or am I paranoid? LG G5

SirLoinington

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi People,

Hopefully some of you can make some time to help a first timer. I've collected as much data as possible on my battery concern...

I just bought an LG G5 Friday evening, and when I took it to work the next day I found that only having made a few texts and calls, my battery was down to 60 off percent by noon. So I charged it. after work, yet again my phone was low and by 9 pm, with only the lightest usage, I was down to 20%. Same thing happened Sunday,

I noted in power manager that Android was using 40%+ power. (should note:phone did update something right after I bought it. May have been an OS update) So I thought to return the phone instead of trying anything. At the store they told me to do a full reset, which I did.

So today phone life has been a lot better. I charged it till 1 this morning and gave it medium-to heavy use. I have also logged my battery life and draws.

Is the 12-15% Android OS draw normal, or should I return the device?

1.png
2.png
3.png
4].png

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's normal.

On my Galaxy Note7, for instance, Android System would take up over 10% of battery usage, sometimes even more.

It depends on what the manufacturer has added to the software and whether it is running.

If it lasts the day for you, I don't think you have to worry.

SirLoinington

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure this was ballpark...there are plenty of threads but few people actually document usage and drain well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You have 54% remaining after a mere 9 hours of usage.

I'd say based on your usage pattern, you're good to go.

Don't worry too much about screen-on-time numbers. A lot of people like to compare them, but as of late, I find them to be a flawed method of comparing battery life as people use their phones differently. I vastly prefer comparing SOT numbers to the total uptime of the device on a single charge.

SirLoinington

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Don't worry too much about screen-on-time numbers. A lot of people like to compare them, but as of late, I find them to be a flawed method of comparing battery life as people use their phones differently. I vastly prefer comparing SOT numbers to the total uptime of the device on a single charge.

Is there a decided way to find out if your device is using a more than normal amount of battery then?

I think what I have now is pretty reasonable, most people I know only get a day out of their smartphone which is on track with this.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there a decided way to find out if your device is using a more than normal amount of battery then?

I think what I have now is pretty reasonable, most people I know only get a day out of their smartphone which is on track with this.
A lot of people recommend an app called GSAM Battery Monitor, which can help see what exactly is draining your battery and makes it easier to pinpoint the exact culprit if you're experiencing higher-than-normal battery drain.

SirLoinington

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
If I were to install such an app, is there a way of knowing what normal battery drain is?

I'm glad you think my battery life is normal, but what determines what normal draw is over a charge for a phone? Just comparison with other users?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If I were to install such an app, is there a way of knowing what normal battery drain is?

I'm glad you think my battery life is normal, but what determines what normal draw is over a charge for a phone? Just comparison with other users?
It's hard to determine what is "normal".

People have different usage patterns and every phone also has different hardware combinations, especially in terms of battery capacity and efficiency.

In regards to the LG G5, normal battery drain is something like being able to last a day easily on light use, a day of mixed use (though some managing may be needed) and on heavy days, you probably might want a battery bank or extra battery, though the same applies to a lot of phones.

Of course, the only person that this matters to is the user himself. How well does the phone's battery last for you? If it lasts fine on your usage pattern, I think it's alright. But if it drains far too much, even on lighter usage patterns, something is amiss.

SirLoinington

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

I entirely forgot to mention that. Right now its 10:30, phone has been unplugged all day except for a brief charge while file transferring, and I'm at 2h45 minutes screen time and 56%

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again! I should be good to go.
SirLoinington, i just picked up my G5 a few days ago, but have some experience in using other recent Androids...so far I'd say the G5 is on par with most others that I've used Samsung and PRIV, and it's definitely better than the Moto X Pure that I use as a backup.

I'll make it a point to share more feedback after using it for a few weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1