Back to the G5 - No more Note 7

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I think for the most part its pretty good. I never have any problems around town. I did have some problems with it recently when I was on vacation in Mexico, but I think that might have been because I downloaded local copies of Google Maps.

How is GPS on the device? Is it pretty quick to find location?

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
How is GPS on the device? Is it pretty quick to find location?

It's better than the note 5 I used to have. That phone would lose signal if I put the phone on my lap while driving. I always had to hold the phone. The g5 doesn't lose signal when I do the same thing. It does seem to get a little wonky and think I'm going slightly different direction. I have had no issues with it picking up GPS though. I've probably gone on 15 appointments this week using GPS and no real issues.

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
GPS worked well for me when I was using Ulmon city maps in the UK. Sometimes if surrounded by tall buildings on narrow streets it would have a bit of trouble but that has happened with every phone I've used.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Since my Note 7 replacement may be a ticking time bomb, I have powered it down and am back to using a G5. I had forgotten how much I enjoy this phone. Sure, I wish the screen was a little brighter and more vibrant, and I miss the battery life, but the G5 is just sooo much faster in day to day use. No shuddering or lagging, and everything is super smooth. I'm really enjoying using it again.

Did you have the stutter/lag issue of the Note 7 too?

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes I did. Sometimes it would be great. I sped up the animations a bit and sometimes it would really fly. But others it would get so bogged down and glitch up.

Mine too! It was very disappointing. I guess maybe it's good to give it back. I am really tiring of the lag issue on Android.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Did you have the stutter/lag issue of the Note 7 too?

Man I thought I replied to this, guess I didn't lol. Yeah my Note 7 stuttered and lagged all the time. Sometimes it would feel lightning fast, and then others it would feel like it too ages to do things, because the UI would just freeze up. Very inconsistent performance overall.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Man I thought I replied to this, guess I didn't lol. Yeah my Note 7 stuttered and lagged all the time. Sometimes it would feel lightning fast, and then others it would feel like it too ages to do things, because the UI would just freeze up. Very inconsistent performance overall.

That was more concerning to me than the battery issue. My Note 5 was not so stuttery & laggy. I'm hoping my new V20 is a quick performer.