Still worth buying after LG ditching the modular concept?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking of buying the G5, however, I recently read that LG are abandoning the modular concept for their future flagships. Since modules is what got me to this phone in the first place (it looks SO cool being able to play with your phone and attach/detach certain components), I think it's a shame that they are abandoning the idea. If I buy the G5 now, support for the current modules will probably end soon, which means I won't be able to replace them. Overall phone support might also end sooner. What would you recommend me? I need a phone that will last me and have support for at least 2 years. Thank you and appreciated.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking of buying the G5, however, I recently read that LG are abandoning the modular concept for their future flagships. Since modules is what got me to this phone in the first place (it looks SO cool being able to play with your phone and attach/detach certain components), I think it's a shame that they are abandoning the idea. If I buy the G5 now, support for the current modules will probably end soon, which means I won't be able to replace them. Overall phone support might also end sooner. What would you recommend me? I need a phone that will last me and have support for at least 2 years. Thank you and appreciated.
Definitely still worth buying, the G5 is a solid kick-@ss phone, period!! ...Those who say otherwise simply haven't given it a real chance to impress themselves and/or are being swayed but other gadgetry and promises from other manufacturers.

As far as the friends modules go, they are simply nice-to-haves, nothing more. This is best phone that I've owned in the past 2 years, and I truly enjoy using it day in day out and I'm into my 3rd month of using it. For those wondering, this is my first ever LG phone!!

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the g5 is a really solid phone on its own. Especially for the price they are going for now. I think it's more indicative of lg and their mobile strategy. I think they are a little lost. They try to do to many different things from one year to the next and I can see that irritating it's customer base.

Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

Depends on ur budget... Yep, i don't think they will make more original modules for this phone anymore.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I just picked up the camera module to use at a wedding this weekend. I certainly wouldn't have purchased it for $70, but I found it for $27 on eBay. At that price, it was worth taking a shot. I think I'll really enjoy using it in video mode, to use the scroll wheel for zooming in and out. Nice to have the extra battery as well.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the G5 is an amazing phone, with or without modules! Plus, I'm sure LG realizes that though they are ditching the modular concept, some of their customers will still be wanting them/using them for their G5's; so perhaps the modular devices will be available as long as the G5 gets the regular OS updates (is that a two-years-after-release thing, like Google with their Nexus devices?). I wouldn't worry about this! The G5 is still great without the modules and you can always stock up on what you need now!

Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up the camera module to use at a wedding this weekend. I certainly wouldn't have purchased it for $70, but I found it for $27 on eBay. At that price, it was worth taking a shot. I think I'll really enjoy using it in video mode, to use the scroll wheel for zooming in and out. Nice to have the extra battery as well.

Is it refurb? Or 2nd hand?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I bought the G5 as a standalone product. I never considered the modules. They're not necessary for usability and enjoyment.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Every flagship phone is blazing fast.

Not true. Many people were complaining about the laggy issues with the Note 7 and that's a brand new phone. My Note 3 and Note 4 both had frame rate issues and OS slow downs on an occasional basis. Haven't had a single hiccup so far with the G5

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So, even if LG is stopping (rumored) with the modular development, do you think they will at least continue manufacturing replacement batteries for the G5 in the next 2-3 years? If I buy the phone, I plan on using it for the next 2 years at least and when the battery starts holding less charge, I will have to replace it.

And another question - if they don't continue manufacturing batteries, I will probably buy 1-2 now for having spares when the time comes. But if I keep them in the drawer for a year and at one point decide to use them, will they still work like brand new with maximum charge capacity?

woofster

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I honestly feel the G5 didn't sacrifice much in design for the modules concept. I don't use it and never actually intended on using it. The phone is fantastic as is.

I suspect LG will continue with some key modules development as it phases it out altogether. As far as batteries go, I'm not a big fan of keeping spares lying around for future use since I'll likely replace the phone before the current battery loses its full charge. If you have a second battery, perhaps you can just alternate with your current one whenever one discharges fully. That way, they're both being used.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
My daughter just had her G4 replaced with a G5 this week. After all the negative I heard when the phone came out i was pleasantly surprised.

I'd say it's worth getting.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So do you think I can last with this phone for at least 2 years if I buy it now (+ a replacement battery and daily usage and charging)? What about Android updates? Will it get updated for the next 2 years?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol