Rs988 nougat 7.0 update.

Pepo Exxocet

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys, same problem here. Interesting thing is I traveled with my friend to the US last november, we purchased an unlocked LG5 each in Amazon. My friend got an H830 and myself an RS988.
We went back to Argentina we both connected the phone to the same carrier (Movistar), he got the Nougat update right away and I`m still here waiting ;S.

Eric Michels

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
That is the point, they have released updates for everyone but us, it is like they lost the file and forgot about us. Or it could be LG worrying about their "Huge" sales and feel it is better to alienate their customers.

phrozenspite

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
yeah, multiple users have confirmed on reddit that the T mobile version got a january security update... so thats another update they did for that phone without touching ours.

furthermore as this points out Which Android manufacturer updates its phones the fastest? - Android Authority
it took them 78 days to first bring it to a G5... we started seeing some carrier models get the update in late november. we're about 60 days past that now, so we're closing in on double the timeframe that it took them to get the update running on the phone on the first place

LVOV

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know this telephone works as expected, w/o any hiccups, read multiple posts about the issues people having after upgrading to nougat, we do know who we are dealing with, this is LG, I wouldn't upgrade even if they have made update available today. This phone is good as it is for one more year and then there better phones BUT not from LG. Soory, just thinking out loud.

phrozenspite

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
As far as I know this telephone works as expected, w/o any hiccups, read multiple posts about the issues people having after upgrading to nougat, we do know who we are dealing with, this is LG, I wouldn't upgrade even if they have made update available today. This phone is good as it is for one more year and then there better phones BUT not from LG. Soory, just thinking out loud.

thats fine if you don't want to upgrade... but don't you agree that it's a problem for a flagship phone to not have the option to update to a new version of the OS less than a year after release? especially when its the factory unlocked model and the carrier locked versions have received the firmware?

LVOV

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
thats fine if you don't want to upgrade... but don't you agree that it's a problem for a flagship phone to not have the option to update to a new version of the OS less than a year after release? especially when its the factory unlocked model and the carrier locked versions have received the firmware?
I do totally agree with you.

Eric Michels

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I did the same and off your suggestion and would love to share there first response with the group. Another fantastic interaction.

My email
"
Hi,

I am rather concerned about the security*of my (Still Flagship) LG G5 RS988 phone that has not gotten*an update since July*despite Google putting*out updates monthly*and other variants getting updates. *

I would like to understand why my phone has been neglected*by LG despite other variants getting updates?*

Thanks
"

There response
"
Dear XXX

This is a staff of LG Product Security Response Team(LG PSRT).

First of all, we are apologize at late security patch.

RS988 has many branches, so security patch schedules has some differences as depending on regions and carriers.

To accurate answer, please let us know your carrier and country.

Thanks

Regards,
LG PSRT
"

Fantastic i know, i have responded with this.

"
Hi,*

I am kind of confused by your question, as i have provided you with the specific variant of the LG G5 i have, the RS988, and as you should know, that is the US unlocked variant that was sold directly from lg to its customers and not through any carrier. The only other piece if information i could have provided is that i have the titanium color, but i would not think that affects the software

"

Will let you know how it goes

Skip501

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
I did the same and off your suggestion and would love to share there first response with the group. Another fantastic interaction.

My email
"
Hi,

I am rather concerned about the security*of my (Still Flagship) LG G5 RS988 phone that has not gotten*an update since July*despite Google putting*out updates monthly*and other variants getting updates. *

I would like to understand why my phone has been neglected*by LG despite other variants getting updates?*

Thanks
"

There response
"
Dear XXX

RS988 has many branches, so security patch schedules has some differences as depending on regions and carriers.

Thanks

Regards,
LG PSRT
"

"
Hi,*

I am kind of confused by your question, as i have provided you with the specific variant of the LG G5 i have, the RS988, and as you should know, that is the US unlocked variant that was sold directly from lg to its customers and not through any carrier. The only other piece if information i could have provided is that i have the titanium color, but i would not think that affects the software

"

Your last comment about the colour made me fall off my chair laughing! That was so apropos. Now that I am done laughing, I will go back to crying about my neglected RS988. :( :p

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

My email
"
Hi,

Thanks
"

There response
"
Dear XXX

Thanks

Regards,
LG PSRT
"

"
Hi,*

"

I sent them a message and got the same response. I replied that i was in United States and that as I said in the previous message the phone is not locked or branded to any carrier it is an unlocked consumer direct model, but I am using it with Cricket wireless.

I will post if they respond, the more I read this thread I started and how LG wont answer the more I wish I would have got my second choice phone the Moto G4 plus

Kimlom

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
UPDATE ON NOUGAT UPDATE

Hi guys,

I'm also one of the frustrated LG G5 RS988 user who hasn't got the nougat update yet. After mailing and calling LG for so many times, FINALLY got a reply. I've pasted the email below. Feeing hopeful !!

In response to this inquiry, the LG G5’s unlock version will indeed receive the Nougat update for the Android system as well, Hari. When available, you will receive a notification alert on your device so that you may download and install the update.

However, at this time, I’m afraid we have no final release date yet even though some devices have already received the update. The reason for the release date variation is because software updates follow a certain process.

For Android, it is faster to receive updates on Google products (for phones, that’s the Nexus line), then on carrier-specific devices. On unlocked units, which are not in the Nexus lineup which receive the updates directly from Google, it is received at a later time as these units will still have to undergo testing for various carriers. As these units may be used for any network provider, the update for the device will have to comply with all possible carriers in the United States. As these carriers have different requirements, we would also have to coordinate with them to ensure that the device will not have an issue on operation with their services after the update.

In case that there’s none yet, I’m afraid we’ll still have to wait but please be assured that the G5 will indeed be updated to Android Nougat like the carrier-locked LG G5 models.

Eric Michels

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi all!!!!!! I may have gotten a definitive answer! And our long wait w may be close to over

"
Dear XXX

This is a staff of LG Product Security Response Team (LG PSRT).

Thanks for your waiting.

Our dedicated team says that security patch plan of your phone is scheduled at the beginning of February.

So, you can check this version by the beginning of February at latest.

Thanks

Regards,

LG PSRT
"

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Well this is my last response from LG product security. They are at least consistant in giving the same to me and eric michaels

This is a staff of LG Product Security Response Team (LG PSRT).

Thanks for your waiting.

Our dedicated team says that security patch plan of your phone is scheduled at the beginning of February.

So, you can check this version by the beginning of February at latest.

Diablo_692

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
I'm downloading the update as I type this, but given the size (only 554.17 MB) I suspect s/w version RS98811d is only a security update, but we shall see. At least it's progress!

Eric Michels

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
It is not 7 and the description is very ominous, improve app stability? I mean what is that, lol, hopefully it has security and is not just a blank pack of nothing to get us to shut up. Got to stay hopeful, and that it is the prep needed to bring the next evolution

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Im pulling it down now too. Will see what it is. Even if it is only a security update it is a step in the right direction and our messages to them may have worked.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Well it was just a big security update but better than nothing. Now im at jan 2017 security update.
88aae22e253c6d81fcd3764dc6dcb2b6.jpg

Last edited: