Rs988 nougat 7.0 update.

grandpalarry777

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
My wife brought me her G5 this morning and showed me the notice that there was an operating system update. She wasn't sure if it was something she should get or not.

I didn't get the notice but when I went to check for the update it was available. I updated my phone this morning and am working on hers now.

The one thing I did notice is that this is the base version 7.0, not one of the later iterations of the OS. I doubt there will be any further updates for some time based on how long it took to get this one.

KicksReason

May 15, 2017
Visit site
My wife brought me her G5 this morning and showed me the notice that there was an operating system update. She wasn't sure if it was something she should get or not.

I didn't get the notice but when I went to check for the update it was available. I updated my phone this morning and am working on hers now.

The one thing I did notice is that this is the base version 7.0, not one of the later iterations of the OS. I doubt there will be any further updates for some time based on how long it took to get this one.

We will take what we can, its better than 6.

EgenhoferJ

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Excellent! I bought one on Saturday knowing that Android 7 might never come, but I guess I got lucky! Great news indeed, now I would be able to update as soon as the phone arrives this week. Btw, any issues on VZN network? I assume no, but worth asking, thanks.

Got the update to Nougat today myself.

Using the RS988 on VZW here, and no issues at all. HD Voice and Video calling are working as well, and have had no connectivity issues with 1X, 3G or 4GLTE. Only odd thing is when connected to LTE it shows as Home for the network instead of Verizon Wireless or VzW. But works fine!
2017-05-15 22.45.13.jpg

KicksReason

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Got the update to Nougat today myself.

Using the RS988 on VZW here, and no issues at all. HD Voice and Video calling are working as well, and have had no connectivity issues with 1X, 3G or 4GLTE. Only odd thing is when connected to LTE it shows as Home for the network instead of Verizon Wireless or VzW. But works fine!
View attachment 260194

Did you had to do any special trickery with the APN settings to get it running on VZN, or it worked right away? Thanks.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
It does not support internet and phone calls at the same time
Mine always did before. Now I have to try it again... Are you using a cdma carrier??? I know my old Samsung s5 would not unless I was connected to wifi also, it was sprints network that phone was on that didnt let you.

markcov

May 17, 2017
Visit site
If anyone emailed Product Security (product.security@lge.com) asking for the update, I recommend you send a thank you email back for releasing the update. Here's the response I got on mine:

This is a staff of LG Product Security Response Team(LG PSRT)
Thank you for your kind reply.
Actually the schedule of Nougat update was delayed more due to additional request of carrier.
I’m so sorry the delayed update..

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I really like 7 too but now im having an issue with it not staying connected to LTE. It will on a reboot or if I go into airplane mode and back out but drops back to a lower speed after 5 minutes or so

markcov

May 17, 2017
Visit site
Anyone with an RS988 on Verizon have an issue with MMS after the update? My phone won't send or receive them now. I'm dreading going through Verizon support or doing a full factory reset to try and fix it.

Just curious if I'm the only one.

Edit: Booted into Safe Mode and then everything started flying in. Had to switch the default app from "Messaging" instead of "Messages". Appears to be working now. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited:

KicksReason

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Anyone with an RS988 on Verizon have an issue with MMS after the update? My phone won't send or receive them now. I'm dreading going through Verizon support or doing a full factory reset to try and fix it.

Just curious if I'm the only one.

Edit: Booted into Safe Mode and then everything started flying in. Had to switch the default app from "Messaging" instead of "Messages". Appears to be working now. Hope this helps someone in the future.

So did you stay with LG Messaging app or you switched to Google Messages?
Also, how did you get Safe mode?

markcov

May 17, 2017
Visit site
So did you stay with LG Messaging app or you switched to Google Messages?
Also, how did you get Safe mode?

Safe Mode - Press and hold the power button to get the Power Off menu to appear, then do a long hold on Power Off option and it'll give you the option to boot into Safe Mode. I'd seen the three dots there before, but never thought to see what it held.

Android Messages doesn't work for MMS messages on my phone for some reason. Not sure why. I'd prefer to use "Messages" instead of the "Messaging" app. I can't tell who makes the "Messaging" app from the App Info on the phone and it doesn't appear in the app store, but I guess it must be LG. At this point if the Android Messages app doesn't start magically working I'll probably give some 3rd party ones a try for a while. Since booting into Safe Mode was able to clear it up, I'm guessing there was some corruption or similar in the SMS/MMS data. A factory reset might fix it, but I don't want to put the time into it at this point. Especially since I don't have the phone rooted with better backup software.
The ROM community seems to have left this phone behind so I'm not expecting to get any of the updates after 7.0. It's a shame because I really like the hardware, but might have to move to a Pixel eventually to get better updates. We'll see.

KicksReason

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Thank you.

I have to agree with you, again especially for the price, the G5 is great. I have and test a ton of other phones at the same time, but the G5 is hard to beat with price/performance ratio and now with 7 on, its just flying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463