Rs988 nougat 7.0 update.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
With others posting that their G5 on some carriers are getting over the air updates to 7.0 I keep checking my unlocked phone Rs988(no carrier) and no updates since the july security patch.

So I started a chat with LG support. After explaining my concern of no recent updates and giving them my imei# they told me the update would be released over the air but no exact timeframe was available but all phones will be updated. I was told to have auto updates on and wait for it.

Eric Michels

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I am in the same boat, and well i am pissed, the carrier phone never get the update first, especial not verizon, this is one of the main reasons i did not get the carrier verizon, that and bloat. I want my update, so i can use 2 apps at the same time

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I was hoping for faster updates than I got with sprint and boost. Then I wanted a phone i could use on any carrier after coverage issues I had on sprint when I travel. Im on Cricket now so far they are fine. Still I want the lastest os

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
With others posting that their G5 on some carriers are getting over the air updates to 7.0 I keep checking my unlocked phone Rs988(no carrier) and no updates since the july security patch.

So I started a chat with LG support. After explaining my concern of no recent updates and giving them my imei# they told me the update would be released over the air but no exact timeframe was available but all phones will be updated. I was told to have auto updates on and wait for it.

Eh CS knows nothing. I contacted them and they said unlocked G5s including my RS988 wont be getting the Nougat update. Pretty bad guess by the representative, but,if true they are screwed.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Eh CS knows nothing. I contacted them and they said unlocked G5s including my RS988 wont be getting the Nougat update. Pretty bad guess by the representative, but,if true they are screwed.
If thats true a lot of people are going to be upset. Not cool to have a device that is nearly the flagship phone and not update all models

Alan Morford

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I got the rs988 for my wife for Christmas. It's wrapped right now but I was wondering if you guys got the update yet? I wonder if the fact it supports all bands is why it's taking longer to get the nougat update. I was stoked to find it supported them all since my wife is on Verizon through straight talk.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
No update for my RS988 yet either. At this point I am just looking at other phones. I don't want an unlocked phone that gets updates months later than everyone else.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah basic customer support usually know nothing about things like update. We would need contact with someone directly associated with updates to know. That said I'm sure nougat will come for the RS988 but when is a huge question mark. I'm pretty sure most major carriers in the US got the update started, Canada carriers have started releasing it too, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we get it last.

All I know is I'm pretty much skipping LG with phones most likely. US G5 did not get the B&O Hi-Fi module, their modular design was a fail in my opinion with no third party support and little support from LG themselves. They said G6 would also be based off a modular design but then later said they trashed the modular idea. I can't use T-Mobile LTE Voice on the RS988 and the phone likes to connect to the wrong access points often making me have to change things manually. I like their monitors and tvs and they did good with the G3 and older products, but IMO their has been quality control issues since G4. I've had few phones so far, iPhone 4, iPhone SE, Galaxy S3, Zenfone 2, Nexus 6, G3, G4, HTC One S, Alcatel OT Idol 3. It's not that the experience has been absolutely horrible but it hasn't been that great for being a flagship phone from a well known company. It's my worst experience following the Alcatel with it's cheap hardware quality. Maybe I'll look into Google's next device that follows the Pixel/XL or jiPhone 8

Eric Michels

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I agree with this, it has not been a r premium experience. I had high hopes for this phone, it had almost everything i wanted. All but wireless charging. But it has been buggy, screen burn, and now, no update. I will hate loosing my removable battery lifestyle, but it may be a price worth paying for a phone that just works

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Well once again LG customer service said they don't push the update and that the carrier's do. They even said they don't even make the software. Lol. Clueless. Don't know what other phone to get yet but I am ditching this garbage phone in a couple days. Happy Holidays LG, thanks for the junk.

mikey1273

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Does LG not have a software suite to manually update phones?
Yeah there is the LG Bridge app for mac and windows but it doest have any magical updates for this phone. I talked to the customer service rep after and email. In the email they said the carrier updates phones, that is not correct as our phones arent linked directly to a carrier. Then on the phone they agreed with me on that and said it will be updated over air just as the july updates were done but no current known timeframe. Like any big company not everyone seems to have the same information.

Im disapionted this is my first Lg phone and first ever unlocked one. I do like it and dont have any issues but it sucks that we are last to get updates. That really makes no sense to me, we should get it first since we dont get carrier blot wear packaged in.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Usually unlocked phones are the first to get updates, but it seems like these new US unlocked phones are the last if ever. People are having trouble getting security updates with the US unlocked Samsung's too. I assumed when I bought this phone it would be the first to get updates, but didn't realize these manufacturer's could care less about the US unlocked versions of their phones.

At least with Samsung they already have multi window and complete themes, no update needed. LG doesn't have that stuff until the update, which we will probably never get.