Notification sound not working after Nougat update (Verizon)

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The notification sound files were backed up to Drive and downloaded back to the phone. They were changed in sound settings and in message settings, yet the notifications still come through as the default. Any idea why?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are the custom tones saved to Internal Storage or the SD card? Make sure they're on Internal Storage, saved to the Notifications directory.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you able to change the text notifications to any of the other preinstalled​ tones, or does it still use the default?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And have you restarted the phone since you "flashed them back" to the phone? (Copying a file doesn't trigger Media Scanner - the only way a phone knows that there are media files. Restarting triggers it, and it should find the notification tone files.)

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
And have you restarted the phone since you "flashed them back" to the phone? (Copying a file doesn't trigger Media Scanner - the only way a phone knows that there are media files. Restarting triggers it, and it should find the notification tone files.)

It has been rebooted. All ring tones work, but this one text notification refuses to work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Try copying the sound file to your computer. Does it play correctly there? If so, delete the sound file on your phone, then copy the file back to the Notifications directory from the computer. Just wondering if there was something weird that happened when you downloaded it from the cloud.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, here's the issue now. I should have been more thorough in my OP. The notification sound is playing on the phone if I navigate to it and play it using the stock music player. There are three notification sounds that are heard depending on the app. One is for the texts and that one I can't change unless it's a preinstalled sound. Another is for all other notifications and the sound I want for texts is coming through for those. The third is for Facebook and that one is like a vibration but is audible. I've tried to download the sound again from Zedge and from other locations across the web and get it to work for texts, and still nothing. Usually on older phones I've just went into the text app or Sound settings and tell it what sound I want and I'm good. This is infuriating. I'm assuming that Nougat along with the LG OS is causing an issue. Maybe I'm wrong.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's an odd issue, that's for sure. Does it happen in Safe Mode as well? verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204131/

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I gave up and just used preinstalled sounds for now. Maybe a factory reset at some point will fix whatever is going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith