What do I lose? What do I gain?

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Coming from a Note 4, what's the highs and lows to this device? Aside from note specific features.

I personally would say, pick up a V20 or maybe wait for the G6 if you going down the LG road.. While the modular 'friends' was a really great idea, it seems LG is dropping the whole idea so i would maybe steer clear of the device. The G5 does have a Excellent camera and fingerprint sensor, along with a Innovative design, USB-C and QC 3.0 charging. :) So thats all good. The display is also great but the is really dark in auto mode and some people have reported that the Modular section may be ill-fitted with gaps in places. I do like that it has a removable battery which you don't see on many devices today.

If you are interested in a read. AndroidCentral did a full review of the device when it launched.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a G5 yesterday, because it has the replaceable battery and SD card slot.
Used, mint condition, spare battery kit and Otterbox. Decent price.
Not holding it's value based on the Modular accessory concept? That is just stupid. I don't need any extra modules. Their loss, my gain!
Didn't get to check it out much yet.
This morning it updated, 7.0, and I just finished a factory reset.
Looks to be about the same size as my Note 4 (bought used 3 weeks ago for a great price, mint condition), and MicroSoft 950XL. (Full price release day. Never Again will I pay full price!)
I am a "Junkie". Android is my toy, Windows is my Phone.
The G5 works with my Continuum dock, alowing me to use a larger monitor as a second screen.
The settings page looks similar to Samsung, with "tabs" that separate types of settings vs everything on one page.
Loss, Gain? Proprietary OEM apps. I don't see too much else. The next several days should flush out any drastic functionality differences.
Gain? 7.0. But I believe that should be coming to the Note 4, EVENTUALLY.
I probably won't replace my 7" tablet when the battery dies, despite the fact that it gets the most use.
Non replaceable batteries are on my NO BUY list. Sold off an HTC M9 last week, for fear of a battery that couldn't be replaced.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I personally would say, pick up a V20 or maybe wait for the G6 if you going down the LG road.. While the modular 'friends' was a really great idea, it seems LG is dropping the whole idea so i would maybe steer clear of the device. The G5 does have a Excellent camera and fingerprint sensor, along with a Innovative design, USB-C and QC 3.0 charging. :) So thats all good. The display is also great but the is really dark in auto mode and some people have reported that the Modular section may be ill-fitted with gaps in places. I do like that it has a removable battery which you don't see on many devices today.

If you are interested in a read. AndroidCentral did a full review of the device when it launched.

I agree. The finger print sensor and cameras are fantastic but the phone as a whole feels cheap. But a big plus coming from the Note 4 is the speed. Good thing I have an SD card because I used about 93% of my G5's internal storage. And lastly, the screen doesn't dim enough. Great in sunlight though in auto mode.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about the mods. Looking for something slightly more manageable. How is the camera compared to the note 4?

And does it get dimmer than the note does?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't care about the mods. Looking for something slightly more manageable. How is the camera compared to the note 4?

And does it get dimmer than the note does?

From what I remember, the Note 4 can get dimmer but the camera on the G5 is FAR superior. Not only that, the Note 4 lag drove me crazy. There were so many moments I wanted to capture something I'd probably never see again but the camera app would just take too long to load up and take the darn picture. Camera ability no question goes to the G5. Note 4 was the better overall phone for me though. Just keep in mind that it's aging. I replaced mine 4 times due to defects.