Does the LG G6 have an RGB notification light?

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
AOD? Is that like the system on my Moto Z Force Droid? Secondary screen lights up for a milisecond, when an email or text comes in? If you're not right on top of your phone, you'll never know that the notification came in. Couple that with the major sound issue for the phone, and you are almost blind to notifications. Phone is useless.:mad: No, for me it's a done deal. No led, no buy.:p

Dennis James5

May 20, 2016
Visit site
No real surprise that the notification light is missing since the G6 uses AOD.

I have an S7 Edge, and the notification LED is still (surprisingly) much more useful than the always-on display. Because the AOD can't be seen from any reasonable distance (despite being brighter than on the G5 and G6), and also it cuts battery life by around 20-30% if not more (look at GSMArena battery tests). So basically the RGB notification LED does the job much better.

I love the design of the G6, but the missing notification LED is killing me, because I really like the flat, large screen on which I could finally use a screen protector and have some peace of mind (there are no good ones for the S7 Edge).

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge, and the notification LED is still (surprisingly) much more useful than the always-on display. Because the AOD can't be seen from any reasonable distance (despite being brighter than on the G5 and G6), and also it cuts battery life by around 20-30% if not more (look at GSMArena battery tests). So basically the RGB notification LED does the job much better.

I love the design of the G6, but the missing notification LED is killing me, because I really like the flat, large screen on which I could finally use a screen protector and have some peace of mind (there are no good ones for the S7 Edge).
There's no way the AOD cuts battery life by 20-30%. There's something wrong because that makes absolutely no sense. I used the S7 edge for about 2 weeks as a loaner during the Note 7 debacle and didn't notice any major drain from the AOD. And I hated that phone so I was looking for things to be wrong with it but battery drain by the AOD wasn't one of them. On the Note 7 I had no problem getting 5 hours SOT with 15-18 hours up time.

I've had the V10 and V20 with secondary display and having it on all day has no discernible effect on battery life. I'm used to not having a LED so I could care less if it isn't present on the G6.

The only things I'm waiting to see to determine a potential move from the V20 to the G6 are price and camera. The upgraded wide angle should be nice but I'm hoping for better full auto point and shoot and better post processing.

Dennis James5

May 20, 2016
Visit site
There's no way the AOD cuts battery life by 20-30%. There's something wrong because that makes absolutely no sense. I used the S7 edge for about 2 weeks as a loaner during the Note 7 debacle and didn't notice any major drain from the AOD. And I hated that phone so I was looking for things to be wrong with it but battery drain by the AOD wasn't one of them. On the Note 7 I had no problem getting 5 hours SOT with 15-18 hours up time.

I've had the V10 and V20 with secondary display and having it on all day has no discernible effect on battery life. I'm used to not having a LED so I could care less if it isn't present on the G6.

The only things I'm waiting to see to determine a potential move from the V20 to the G6 are price and camera. The upgraded wide angle should be nice but I'm hoping for better full auto point and shoot and better post processing.

Well, I use it every day since almost one year ago, and I know what I'm talking about.

GSMArena S7 Edge battery test:

Without AOD: 98h endurance. With AOD on: 67h endurance.

GSMArena G5 battery test:

Without AOD: 60h endurance. With AOD: 50h (much better ratio than the S7 Edge but much worse overall).

Few people realize that it's not the "pixels" that are eating out the power, but the display driver circuit which has to stay on when the AOD is on, so there is no big difference between OLED and TFT screens in power consumed while AOD is on.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I use it every day since almost one year ago, and I know what I'm talking about.

GSMArena S7 Edge battery test:

Without AOD: 98h endurance. With AOD on: 67h endurance.

GSMArena G5 battery test:

Without AOD: 60h endurance. With AOD: 50h (much better ratio than the S7 Edge but much worse overall).

Few people realize that it's not the "pixels" that are eating out the power, but the display driver circuit which has to stay on when the AOD is on, so there is no big difference between OLED and TFT screens in power consumed while AOD is on.
So the reference is an endurance test which rates how long the phone can sit idle without being used until it dies.

I (and probably 99.9% of people) don't buy $600+ phones so I can see how many days it will sit on my kitchen counter without being used. If I can let it sit, powered on for days at a time, then it can be charged. So who cares if it lasts 3 or 4 days? And if it isn't going to be used, why have it on at all?

That endurance test is absolutely meaningless.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
AOD refers to always on. You have to physically turn it off.
I know. I mean the led may not be obvious in a picture of the phone unless the multicolor led notification is on. Are you saying u know for sure there is no notification rgb led just because it has an AOD?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know. I mean the led may not be obvious in a picture of the phone unless the multicolor led notification is on. Are you saying u know for sure there is no notification rgb led just because it has an AOD?

No...not saying that at all

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You could try going to the Flossy Carter review on YouTube and ask him. It has also been reviewed here on AC....you could try asking the reviewer