What's up with the sneaky black inner bezel?

Shaun Smith3

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
As I'm watching all the hands on videos roll in, I'm noticing something funny...

When the screen is on in all of these reviews, you can clearly see, how should I say this, a "supplemental" black bezel that is not nearly as visible when the screen is off.

Lots of hype about the super slim bezels with this phone. I like bezels. I'm fine with my Pixel, and this seemed obvious to me in the first video I watched. I know some of y'all are sensitive about your bezels and had a lot of excitement with this one.

Are we pretending not to notice?

Shaun Smith3

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you talking about that black border in the picture at this link? LG G6 initial review: A return to form | Android Central

If so, I wouldn't consider that a bezel.

No, none of those pics illustrate my point. Here's one from Android Authority that shows it well, particularly on the white front. I wouldn't call it a bezel, but I wouldn't call it nothing. No phone in the last 3 years has had this. (M7/M8?)

Attachments

• 50693.jpg
    50693.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 128

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No, none of those pics illustrate my point. Here's one from Android Authority that shows it well, particularly on the white front. I wouldn't call it a bezel, but I wouldn't call it nothing. No phone in the last 3 years has had this. (M7/M8?)

That disappears when running apps that need the screen space

Shaun Smith3

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Also, your link is linking to a different article. Weird.

The cover photo on ACs initial review shows the "thin black border"

Not a bezel, but easily .5 mm.

This creates up to a 2 mm cheat on the screen ratio

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's how with those back and home buttons work on the G5 and V20, unless you are talking about something different

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I still have no idea what you're talking about...

Shaun Smith3

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't see the difference

Dude, how could you tell the difference or not if it's not released yet?

I guess you could read...

G5: 5.3", 16:9 aspect ratio, IPS LCD 554 PPI,
Square corners

G6: 5.7", 18:9 aspect ratio, HD+ LCD 564
PPI, Rounded corners

Completely different panels, different software running them

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
If you look at any phone panel from an angle, you'll see a black border because you're essentially looking inside the phone. Head one, you wouldn't be able to see that and I'm sure if you tilt the pixel, you'd see the same thing. The pixel gets great reviews and I'm sure it's a fantastic phone but wth is up with those huge bezels. I couldn't live with it. So much potential screen real estate lost.