What's up with the sneaky black inner bezel?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Dude, how could you tell the difference or not if it's not released yet?

I guess you could read...

G5: 5.3", 16:9 aspect ratio, IPS LCD 554 PPI,
Square corners

G6: 5.7", 18:9 aspect ratio, HD+ LCD 564
PPI, Rounded corners

Completely different panels, different software running them

Dude, no need to be rude. Yes I can read, but you post one thing then talk about something different. I was going by what you posted. I can't see the difference in what you posted in those images. What you are posting now are specs concerning screen sizes. That is not your original post.

Shaun Smith3

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
If you look at any phone panel from an angle, you'll see a black border because you're essentially looking inside the phone. Head one, you wouldn't be able to see that and I'm sure if you tilt the pixel, you'd see the same thing. The pixel gets great reviews and I'm sure it's a fantastic phone but wth is up with those huge bezels. I couldn't live with it. So much potential screen real estate lost.

That's my point.

I don't care about smaller bezels than I have here on my Pixel, but I know a lot of people do.

LG is either fudging the screen/body ratio by building in an inner bezel (think HTC M7 bottom bezel, just thinner and all the way around) Or they sunk their panel under some seriously thick and ugly glass.

Thick, one dimensional glass is a solid way to increase durability, we have already seen LG preemptively tout the strength and durability of this phone as the reason they avoided 2.5d glass.

Even though the $800 price was just released, constructing a phone this way is also an excellent way to reduce manufacturing costs.

I just assumed that bezel haters hated their bezels in the name of sleek aesthetics, or they want a smaller form factor vs screen size. Either way this is a mark against.

It plain as day by looking at every video/pic of this phone so far there is a clear difference in the screen set up on this LG G6 than other current flagships. Someone show me a pic of a current iPhone, Pixel, Galaxy S that shows this same effect...ANY PIC.

I'm currently writing this on a tilted Pixel. Not nearly the same thing. Manufacturers of flagship smart phones have designed the "sunken screen" effect out of phones two or three cycles ago with thinner, stronger 2.5d glass.

No one wants to hear it, but this screen is not going to cut it side by side other flagships in carrier stores.

If I seem rude, it's that I'm incredulous about why no one can't just see it for what it is. It's obvious.

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
I think that's the inner bezel. All my phones have had this (LG G2, Xiaomi Mi 5 etc), and most other phones do as well (I just looked at some Huawei P10 reviews). Curved phones and 2.5D phones make it slightly less noticable and also I think with LG the inner bezels are slightly thicker.

Maybe the manufacturing process isn't precise enough so there needs to be some inner bezel to prevent the outer frame overlapping the display. Just guessing.

Get the black model then not so noticable :)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I get what the OP means, and a lot of phones, including the old LG G3 have it too.

It's a thin black strip around the actual display area.

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Am I the only one who actually digs it? Have it occurred to anyone that maybe it is a choice of design, that enhanced the effect of the round edges, and the profile of the phone itself?

I think it looks excellent on the white version.

I don't think anyone would count the area of this bezel as screen area, so can't see why this should be with purpose of "cheating" with the screen-to-phone ratio or similar.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but its a non issue as far as I go. To each his own because we are not all the same except in the dark.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No, none of those pics illustrate my point. Here's one from Android Authority that shows it well, particularly on the white front. I wouldn't call it a bezel, but I wouldn't call it nothing. No phone in the last 3 years has had this. (M7/M8?)

I think I do see the black "outline" that you're seeing. I dunno - I like "bezel-less" phones in theory, but not too much in practice. I'd have to hold it and see how it feels in the hand before making any judgment calls, however. Despite that, it looks amazing!

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you look at any phone panel from an angle, you'll see a black border because you're essentially looking inside the phone. Head one, you wouldn't be able to see that and I'm sure if you tilt the pixel, you'd see the same thing. The pixel gets great reviews and I'm sure it's a fantastic phone but wth is up with those huge bezels. I couldn't live with it. So much potential screen real estate lost.
Point well made and completely agree also!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc