Are you getting a G6 or an S8?

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely considering the G6 vrs the S8 as an upgrade with my ATT NEXT Every Year plan. Either phone will need to have enough improvements over my current S7 before I switch. My one concern for the S8 is the curved front screen, as I didn't like the feel of the S7 Edge in my hand. Cost will also be a factor too.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think I made my decision while I wrote a comment on one of the articles here on Android Central. I'm going with the G6 Vs the S8. Not only do the curved screen not tickle my fancy, it doesn't have the dual cameras at the back for wide angle shots. I can't tell you how many times I've needed it for work when I couldn't move back anymore to take a picture of a car.

And then I was deciding as to whether I should wait for the Note 8. I love the Note series but then realized there that I'm not going to pay nearly $900 for a phone.

Lastly was HTC. Unless their announcement this week mentions a successor to the HTC 10, they've lost the bidding. I doubt it's going to be the right announcement anyway, but I'm hoping.

LG G6 sounds like and seems like a fine device after so many reviewers got their hands on them. I'm not worried about the 835 processor. I can wait .000074638 seconds longer for a page to load. Not going to fuss over that. And I'm sure the phone could easily last me two years. I used the Note 4 into 2016. The only reason I traded it in was due to warranty issues and that I had replaced it for times or else I'd still have it. Loved that phone.

Anyway. Rant over. This is what happens when I'm stalling to get ready for work in the morning haha.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Aree G6 has more going for it than S8 now... Hope Samsung doesn't make a blunder what LG did with G5....iam 90% leaning towards G6 Vs S8 ...lets wait for announcement and price... With G6 price out its worth every penny

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
We all know the masses are going to buy the S8 just cuz it's a Samsung device. It's sad but true. I would love the G6 but my Note 5 is still kicking. Lol

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I guess I do have to rethink cloud.

If anything.... Google Photos... really... It's one of Google's best services that they offer and it comes with a ton of great tools. BTW, the free, unlimited storage option does compress your pics and videos, but Google's algorithms are quite good. They just open-sourced their JPG compression algorithm and I am sure it will get adopted widely. I've pixel-peeped a bunch of 'compressed' pics and their full quality source pics and I really have yet to see any appreciable degradation in quality. Plus there are editing and sharing tools, search indexing, etc.

As for reluctance in using cloud, yes, those worries are warranted... No one wants their personal data become public. But, to Google's credit, they are extremely transparent with their policies. They lay everything out in the First, they will never share your personal information, whether it be your search results or your pictures, with any partners... that's something stressed in their terms of service in several places. The only time your pics will see a wide audience is if you share them publically, or you take part in things like the 500px and open your stuff up to be shared in things like the Chromecast landing screen. But those are all on your watch.

So then it becomes a matter of malicious parties stealing stuff. Your Google account is as secure as you want it to be. There have been Google accounts that have been compromised, but I am fairly certain that in all of these cases, the breaches were not due to lax security on Google's part, and more to do with the individual not utilizing more secure methods like two-factor security and doing things like reusing passwords or getting caught in a phishing scam... the accounts were breached externally.

If you haven't already, you can access all your Google stuff at your Dashboard (https://myaccount.google.com/dashboard)

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been using Google Photos since my HTC Droid DNA. I absolutely love it. No searching around for the SD card that has that picture on it from that place yada yada. Quality is perfect for what I do with my pics, and free is always nice. I even enjoy some (some, not all lol) of their auto generated videos and 'style' pictures. Add to that the ability to tag and search your photos makes it a great tool.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking about getting the G6, but it has everything that phones had last year (IP68, SD 821, etc.). I'll hold off until I see what the S8/S8+ offers. I'm a sucker for new phones with new technology. I'm interested in seeing how well the facial recognition and iris scanners work on the Samsung phones before deciding on a new phone.

The only thing that attracts me to the G6 at this point is the price.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in seeing how well the facial recognition and iris scanners work on the Samsung phones before deciding on a new phone.

What I don't get about the Iris/Facial stuff... what's the point? I mean, first, you have to have the phone facing you so you are inside whatever cone of detection or whatever the front recog camera needs to detect you... AND you also have to touch something to let it know you want to unlock, which I presume is the new on-screen 'always on' home button.

So you pick up the phone, hold it in front of you, press the button and wait (albeit that might be quick) for it to detect you is you...

Now, I get that Synaptics couldn't get the in-screen FPS working in time, hence the awkward rear FPS, so this might help augment that. But it just seems that it's one of those "look here, this is cool!" features that doesn't translate into real-world usage.

I have some phones with properly placed rear FPS's... and I pick the thing up and my finger falls on the sensor and by the time the phone is at my face, I am unlocked and at the homescreen.

Now... if the camera used for the system had some insanely wide field of view to the point where if you can see the front of the phone, it can detect your face/eyes... well, that's different. But based on the restrictions we saw on the Note 7, I am not holding my breath. How much could Samsung improve the tech? My wife had a Note 7 for a hot minute and you pretty much had to have the thing right in front of your face for it to work.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What I don't get about the Iris/Facial stuff... what's the point? I mean, first, you have to have the phone facing you so you are inside whatever cone of detection or whatever the front recog camera needs to detect you... AND you also have to touch something to let it know you want to unlock, which I presume is the new on-screen 'always on' home button.

I feel the same way -- On my Note 7 I didn't even test out the feature. I don't want to have to hold the phone up each time to my face just to unlock when I can just tap the FP scanner and be done :p.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

So you pick up the phone, hold it in front of you, press the button and wait (albeit that might be quick) for it to detect you is you...

Now, I get that Synaptics couldn't get the in-screen FPS working in time, hence the awkward rear FPS, so this might help augment that. But it just seems that it's one of those "look here, this is cool!" features that doesn't translate into real-world usage.

I have some phones with properly placed rear FPS's... and I pick the thing up and my finger falls on the sensor and by the time the phone is at my face, I am unlocked and at the homescreen.

Now... if the camera used for the system had some insanely wide field of view to the point where if you can see the front of the phone, it can detect your face/eyes... well, that's different. But based on the restrictions we saw on the Note 7, I am not holding my breath. How much could Samsung improve the tech? My wife had a Note 7 for a hot minute and you pretty much had to have the thing right in front of your face for it to work.

If the facial recognition works on the S8s as it does on my Microsoft Surface Book, then it'll be awesome. Here's how it works on my Surface Book: once I open the display from the body, the facial recognition camera immediately turns on and scans for my face (my face has to be in front of the screen, though, but there's a wide field of view). Once it recognizes my face (literally immediately!), the computer unlocks with no need to touch any buttons or put in any PIN to unlock and the computer is ready to go. If Samsung implemented the same technology in the S8/S8+, they're going to have a real winner on their hands.

I agree with you about the iris scanner on the Note 7. It was a terrible implementation of the technology. I remember having to swipe up on the lock screen to get it to work, and I had to put my eyes in the circles in order for it to work. I didn't like it. I also agree with you about the terrible placement of the fingerprint sensor on the S8s. Hopefully the facial recognition technology is just as good (or better) than what's on my Surface Book and then there'll be no need to use the iris scanner or the fingerprint sensor.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way -- On my Note 7 I didn't even test out the feature. I don't want to have to hold the phone up each time to my face just to unlock when I can just tap the FP scanner and be done :p.

Oh, I went to configure it when I set up the phone... First, it was one of those "If these 10 things are juuuuuuust right... it'll work" things. And I had to take off my glasses for it to work right. And I had to go into my bathroom because the light in my living room was too dim, etc...

I assume they improved it, but how much?

Now, the G6, on the other hand, so far looks as though LG went away from the gimmickry that has plagued them recently. I've seen it called 'boring' in some places. GOOD! I was getting tired of OEMs spending too much time fussing with silly features that end up being useless once you get the phone out of the hands of the dude presenting it on stage and into the hands of people who want to use it. LG got their teeth kicked in with that silly G5 'Friends' fiasco and I am happy to see they learned their lesson.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll take this moment to remind people of the 810. At least for North American consumers. We don't know what the 835 will yield.
Let's remember that Samsung was smart enough not to use that. I think they'd be smart enough to skip the 835 if it weren't good and go with their own processor.
Agree that they drop in price. But free Google Home makes up for that drop IMHO
I guess. Google home is not that impressive. They need to do some major work on it.

I had great luck with My Note 7s iris scanner. It is ridiculous to have to swipe up first before it starts scanning though. Hopefully they figured that part out this year. I liked that it was an option when my hands were wet because then I couldn't use the FPS.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Let's remember that Samsung was smart enough not to use that. I think they'd be smart enough to skip the 835 if it weren't good and go with their own processor.

I guess. Google home is not that impressive. They need to do some major work on it.

I had great luck with My Note 7s iris scanner. It is ridiculous to have to swipe up first before it starts scanning though. Hopefully they figured that part out this year. I liked that it was an option when my hands were wet because then I couldn't use the FPS.
The iris scanner dis not work so well on my Note 7. Took too long to read and it want accurate. Then effort it took to use it made it not worth it.

Google home works pretty good from what I have read.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The iris scanner dis not work so well on my Note 7. Took too long to read and it want accurate. Then effort it took to use it made it not worth it.

Google home works pretty good from what I have read.

Mine was always instant. I guess it's sort of like how some people have poor experiences with FPS on some phones. I saw someone complaining that it only works 40% of the time on their S7 edge. Mine works probably 99% of the time. Some people's eyes are probably just easier to read.

And hopefully you'll like the Home. I'm not basing it on what I've read though, I actually have two of them. Barely ever use them. My Echos on the other hand, use them all the time.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine was always instant. I guess it's sort of like how some people have poor experiences with FPS on some phones. I saw someone complaining that it only works 40% of the time on their S7 edge. Mine works probably 99% of the time. Some people's eyes are probably just easier to read.

And hopefully you'll like the Home. I'm not basing it on what I've read though, I actually have two of them. Barely ever use them. My Echos on the other hand, use them all the time.
My brother has an Amazon echo and a Home. The home is so much more useful.
The FP scanner worked flawlessly on the N7 for me anyway. Works great on my Pixel XL and S7 edge and 7+ too.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
My brother has an Amazon echo and a Home. The home is so much more useful.
The FP scanner worked flawlessly on the N7 for me anyway. Works great on my Pixel XL and S7 edge and 7+ too.
Knowledge wise, yeah Home is. It's not often that I use that feature though. I have a lot of smart products and the home can't interact with most of them, but my Echo does. I've gone as far to put one in each room because I use them so much. My 8yo accuses me of being lazy because I just tell Alexa to do everything lol. Also, Home can't even set a reminder. I just want Google to actually out some effort into the Home.

Back on topic though, I've considered the G6 for my wife. She loved her Note 7, even the iris scanner, but she hates the S7 edge. I think she wants something new and the G6 might be good for her. I'm definitely getting an S8+ though.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Knowledge wise, yeah Home is. It's not often that I use that feature though. I have a lot of smart products and the home can't interact with most of them, but my Echo does. I've gone as far to put one in each room because I use them so much. My 8yo accuses me of being lazy because I just tell Alexa to do everything lol. Also, Home can't even set a reminder. I just want Google to actually out some effort into the Home.

Back on topic though, I've considered the G6 for my wife. She loved her Note 7, even the iris scanner, but she hates the S7 edge. I think she wants something new and the G6 might be good for her. I'm definitely getting an S8+ though.
I have 2 JoD lines on TMO so I will get the G6 but can't decide yet between the S8 or 8+.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 JoD lines on TMO so I will get the G6 but can't decide yet between the S8 or 8+.
Lucky man. At first I was trying to decide between the two, but I feel like the battery life on the 8+ is going to be better so I'm going to go with that. If they surprise us and the 8 has a battery bigger than 3000mah, I'll consider the 8 again though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463