How's your battery life?

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
So far I'm impressed. First full day of moderate use and I'm sitting at 24% after 14 hours with 4 hours SOT. Normally I'd already have the V20 on the charger after 12 hours.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm impressed. First full day of moderate use and I'm sitting at 24% after 14 hours with 4 hours SOT. Normally I'd already have the V20 on the charger after 12 hours.

I don't have the LG G6 but I have the V20 and it gets roughly the same amount of battery life (between 4-6 hours SOT). I usually don't need to charge the phone until bedtime.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I was doing great and then all of a sudden it started tanking. Come to find out the T-Mobile app would not stop running. Ive uninstalled the app update and revoked all permissions so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like decent battery life

Im not sure if their padding the 100% number or not but Ive been off the charger for 1 hour and 17 minutes after charging overnight and Im still at 100. Now Im not really using the phone, only opened it a couple times to check something but normally when I charge overnight I drop to 98% rather quickly on most other phones.

Today will be interesting since my exchange account is all synced and all my apps are set up. My hope is a consistent 5 hours screen on time. If I can get that then Ill be happy. Coming from 9-10 hours on the Mate 9 its definitely going to take some getting used to though.

Edit. Been almost an hour since I posted the above and Im still at 100% which leads me to believe they are absolutely padding the 100% mark and this things going to dump from 99% to 90% very rapidly.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Not necessarily... if you are only glancing at the phone to check emails or texts quick. That's how my iPhone 6 works and in my opinion that's how iPhones usually work when you pull it off the charger... they have pretty impressive standby times. Let us know how the rest of the day goes.

Your phone sounds exactly how my LG G2 use to drain... it was one of the best batteried phones I ever had.

With my Galaxy S6, when I pulled it off the charger in the morning, I've lost 10% before I even get to the office it seems. Crazy.

I'll be interested to hear how battery really after a week or two with normal cycles gone through it.

Im not sure if their padding the 100% number or not but Ive been off the charger for 1 hour and 17 minutes after charging overnight and Im still at 100. Now Im not really using the phone, only opened it a couple times to check something but normally when I charge overnight I drop to 98% rather quickly on most other phones.

Today will be interesting since my exchange account is all synced and all my apps are set up. My hope is a consistent 5 hours screen on time. If I can get that then Ill be happy. Coming from 9-10 hours on the Mate 9 its definitely going to take some getting used to though.

Edit. Been almost an hour since I posted the above and Im still at 100% which leads me to believe they are absolutely padding the 100% mark and this things going to dump from 99% to 90% very rapidly.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I took mine off the charger about 8:30. Checked out my twitter and fb and caught up on some news stories. I'm at 89% now with 58 minutes of sot. I was getting around 5 hours to 6 hours with the v20, way too early to tell but seems comparable or slightly better than the v20.
Edit: Also had about 10 minutes of voice calls with that time.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I took mine off the charger about 8:30. Checked out my twitter and fb and caught up on some news stories. I'm at 89% now with 58 minutes of sot. I was getting around 5 hours to 6 hours with the v20, way too early to tell but seems comparable or slightly better than the v20.
Edit: Also had about 10 minutes of voice calls with that time.

Thats extremely promising. With that usage youd be looking at over 9 hours SOT which would be unreal for this size battery.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Thats extremely promising. With that usage youd be looking at over 9 hours SOT which would be unreal for this size battery.

I'm not expecting that much. I'm coming from the v20 and using a moto z play last couple months. The play is the only phone I never had to top off during the day. I use my phone a ton for work with voice calls and GPS. I'm hoping for 6 hours, that would make me extremely happy with this phone.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not expecting that much. I'm coming from the v20 and using a moto z play last couple months. The play is the only phone I never had to top off during the day. I use my phone a ton for work with voice calls and GPS. I'm hoping for 6 hours, that would make me extremely happy with this phone.
The standby drain on mine is pretty severe. I guess I'm spoiled by my Mate 9 that has a much larger battery and sips in standby. I'm tracking down what's causing this mediocre life on mine. I'll report back after a few cycles.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I also have a Moto Z Play, I'd be interested in your thoughts about the Play vs G6. Got to play with a G6 at the Verizon store and just love the size. It feels so much better in my hand than the Z Play.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I also have a Moto Z Play, I'd be interested in your thoughts about the Play vs G6. Got to play with a G6 at the Verizon store and just love the size. It feels so much better in my hand than the Z Play.

I love the feel of the G6. So far it's a great device. Nothing right away giving me any doubts about it. I really like the play but I think it's more about the software. I love the active display and the moto gestures. The play is a pretty big device and the camera leaves a lot to be desired. If the play had a better camera I probably wouldn't have been looking for a new phone.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
The standby drain on mine is pretty severe. I guess I'm spoiled by my Mate 9 that has a much larger battery and sips in standby. I'm tracking down what's causing this mediocre life on mine. I'll report back after a few cycles.

Any chance you've opened the T-Mobile app?

In 4 hours I lost 1% in standby. Over the past hour Ive used it heavily and just hit 93%. Streaming music over bluetooth and a bunch of texts. Im trying to ignore the percentages right now and just use the phone like I use the mate 9 which is as if the battery will never die.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Any chance you've opened the T-Mobile app?

In 4 hours I lost 1% in standby. Over the past hour Ive used it heavily and just hit 93%. Streaming music over bluetooth and a bunch of texts. Im trying to ignore the percentages right now and just use the phone like I use the mate 9 which is as if the battery will never die.
I haven't opened that app. In fact, I deleted the update to the app and force closed it. Is there a way to completely disable the app?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I haven't opened that app. In fact, I deleted the update to the app and force closed it. Is there a way to completely disable the app?

Unfortunately no. Its going to ask you to update it again in the play store. If you do or dont, just make sure you revoke all permissions to it and dont open it. I hide mine in a hidden folder so I never see it. That stupid app was using a ton of battery and everytime I force closed it the p.o.s. would restart immediately.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately no. Its going to ask you to update it again in the play store. If you do or dont, just make sure you revoke all permissions to it and dont open it. I hide mine in a hidden folder so I never see it. That stupid app was using a ton of battery and everytime I force closed it the p.o.s. would restart immediately.
Dammit. Ok. Thanks for the heads-up. My phone idle, android system and Google Play seem to take up a ton of battery compared to my other phones. Again, maybe it just needs some time to settle in. The out of the box initial impressions is that the battery life is just OK.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Dammit. Ok. Thanks for the heads-up. My phone idle, android system and Google Play seem to take up a ton of battery compared to my other phones. Again, maybe it just needs some time to settle in. The out of the box initial impressions is that the battery life is just OK.
Give it some time to level out. Play store doesn't register on mine at all so it's probably doing some kind of setup etc. Once everything settles the standbye drain is great.

5bc09e898f1be3c887d2fd78388791df.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs