Your device is corrupted and cannot be trusted

TWYNBYZ

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
I have two T-Mobile branded G6's. During the first 24 hours of ownership my phone froze and I was presented with the following error "Your device is corrupted and cannot be trusted and may not work properly". After that the phone screen went blank and shut itself off. Trying to power on the phone by just pressing the power button didn't work so I had to hold the power button and volume up button simultaneously to get the phone to power back on. Since then the phone hasn't been the same (ie camera and video recording latency) but I did assume my G6 would shake it off after a few days.

Well fast forward to this afternoon and now my wife's G6 just threw the same error! Is this a coincidence? Well I'm not sure but the same error on different phones has me concerned and I will be returning them both back to T-Mobile tomorrow.

This was my first LG phone and its unfortunate that my first experience with their product ended negatively :'(

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
This has happened on alot of different devices since Marshmallow. From what Ive read it can be caused from malware in an app downloaded, unlocking the bootloader, and some even suggested pokemon go was a culprit. Best suggestion I have would be to compare what apps youve installed on both phones, do a factory reset and whatever apps you loaded on yours and hers, only load on one phone for now so you can try and pinpoint what caused it.

I can assure you however its not an LG issue. Even the Nexus 6P has reports of it leading most to believe malware is most likely the culprit.

Last edited:

TWYNBYZ

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the response. My wife and I only install standard apps from the play store. These are the same apps that we've used for years on all of or android devices, including my nexus tablet. We also don't play Pokemon go nor have we've made any modifications to the OS or unlocked the bootloader......

While we don't install the same apps the only similarity between both phones would be Nova Launcher. We've both used Nova for years and have never had this issue. Now I'm sure there are others on various Android devices that are currently using Nova. Do you honestly think that Nova could be the culprit? If that were the case wouldn't others be experiencing the same issue not only on G6's but also other android devices also?

Thoughts?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the response. My wife and I only install standard apps from the play store. These are the same apps that we've used for years on all of or android devices, including my nexus tablet. We also don't play Pokemon go nor have we've made any modifications to the OS or unlocked the bootloader......

While we don't install the same apps the only similarity between both phones would be Nova Launcher. We've both used Nova for years and have never had this issue. Now I'm sure there are others on various Android devices that are currently using Nova. Do you honestly think that Nova could be the culprit? If that were the case wouldn't others be experiencing the same issue not only on G6's but also other android devices also?

Thoughts?
Naw Nova didn't cause it, I use it as well and haven't had any issues. There's alot of "possible" causes when you do a Google search but I don't see 1 for sure reasoning, just alot of speculation. Seeing as it affected both of your phones though I'd still lean towards malware but no clue how you may or may not have gotten it. I also just read a thread somewhere else that says a factory reset may not fix it, that you'd need to do a recovery of the operating system by downloading the firmware. Again, that's just another suggestion people made so no clue how true it is. Exchanging it is probably your best option but I wouldn't be concerned with it being the phone itself that's the issue seeing as it's been reported across multiple devices for a while now.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Yep. Sounds like malware to me as well. Usually comes either from an affected website or Email.

I had something similar happen to my S7, and immediately did a factory reset.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
This happened to my LG v20. There's no way I can boot into recovery without that message pop up.

User assumed I'd flash custom recovery. Long story short. T-MOBILE sent me replacement. Sucks this happened to you even when phone isn't in store.

Emy2017

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
Ignore. It's Google-policy. Google is growing and also the distance to the users. They don't like that we will modify the phone to our needs instead of the needs of Google or Telecom providers.

TWYNBYZ

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
So I'm contacting T-Mobile today but haven't decided if I'm going to exchange the phones or just return them. Either way I like the phones but I wouldn't want to exchange them and then the same issue occur again. Like I said I have never had this happen on my previous android devices so I guess that is why I'm somewhat concerned.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
So I'm contacting T-Mobile today but haven't decided if I'm going to exchange the phones or just return them. Either way I like the phones but I wouldn't want to exchange them and then the same issue occur again. Like I said I have never had this happen on my previous android devices so I guess that is why I'm somewhat concerned.

Only you can decide if you exchange it but I can promise you, its not an LG G6 issue. Google results will show you its pretty wide spread.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Uh oh. That's bad.

What you got is an error from Android's Verified Boot feature. You would get different colors for different errors. Orange usually means an unlocked bootloader (totally normal if you did so yourself), yellow means an OS that's not verified but works and red means a corruption in the filesystem.

If it's red, that typically means that either the system partition got compromised (which would cause the device to stop booting) or if the device boots but you notice extremely wonky behavior, it may also mean that the filesystem is corrupted, which may be attributed to a corrupted NAND block.

This won't shake off. You have to reinstall the OS from scratch to get it back to normal. If it happens again, get it RMA-ed as it's likely that your NAND is bad.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Ignore. It's Google-policy. Google is growing and also the distance to the users. They don't like that we will modify the phone to our needs instead of the needs of Google or Telecom providers.
Actually, a red warning is not triggered by unlocking the bootloader. You would only get an orange warning.

A red warning is triggered when either the boot or system partition are either corrupted or compromised.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I'm not inclined to agree, for the following reasons:
1. This isn't really Google's phone, it's LG's. They modified the OS to their liking, so if there is a corruption somewhere, it would be on them. Yes, Google builds Android, but once a company like Samsung or LG makes changes, it's theirs.
2. If Google really discouraged this sort of practice of unlocking bootloaders, they wouldn't outline the procedure on their website: https://developers.google.com/android/images

Now, has Google made it more difficult to root and flash custom ROMs? Kind of. I think what they have put in place is to be looked at as a method to ensure the user knows what they are doing.

But to say that Google doesn't like us modifying our devices is a bit stretched.

TmoCheryl

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Same thing happened to my LG G6 today.

I work for TMobile and havent used my phone much since cases have not come in yet. I brought it with me to our Samsung S8 Event this morning where I received the same message in red.. Maybe Samsung did it? Lol j/k.

I did download Twitter and Instagram for the event, and created new accounts for both apps. Only other app I have downloaded is Pokemon Go which I signed in to my old account.

Like I said though. I have hardly used this device, as I've been using my G4 until my case comes in.