Now that we can compare the G6 and S8...

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Anyone changing their mind one way or the other?

After that presentation I think I made the right decision going with the G6. The G8 looks excellent but that curved screen just ruins it for me. Entirely too fragile and no way to protect the screen without using something like an Otterbox. Everything else they announced, which wasnt much, I already have besides DeX. Facial recognition doesnt interest me at all and that odd placement for the fingerprint reader is, well odd. I dont know how I'll deal with this screen style on the Note 8 but I guess Ill have to get a pretty substantial case.

Bixby looks interesting but just like all other manufacturer voice apps, I have a feeling its going to be pretty limited for quite some time and quite a bit of it can be done with google assistant and google now.

The Gear 360 presentation was kind of embarrassing and awkward.

DeX is pretty freakin cool. Probably my favorite feature.

And where the heck is the price???

Overall the presentation was odd, especially all the people walking through the crowd with phones. Kind of creepy actually.

Edit: Ok I see the price.

Verizon - $720 for the S8 and $840 for the S8+
At&t and T-Mobile - $750 for the S8 and $850 for the S8+

Best Buy will offer $100 off.

meattray

Trusted Member
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Love the DeX feature. Seems super cool. Some other cool features and I really like the screen. Definitely may be a little more scared of drops though ha ha.

They're both fantastic devices.

Going to make this a tough decision.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Well since I already sent my G6 back I'm definitely looking at the S8+ to replace my V20. Same camera as the Note 7 with software improvements means it will be better in full auto than the V20.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well since I already sent my G6 back I'm definitely looking at the S8+ to replace my V20. Same camera as the Note 7 with software improvements means it will be better in full auto than the V20.

That is the one thing I would love to take from the S8 and put in the G6. Ill be curious if theyve adjusted the color temp on the new models to get rid of the yellow tint from amoled.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... if the price is correct than it's not much more than the G6 which is a plus.

I can get the G6 at corporate price of $245 so guessing $250-$299 for S8. Will check AT&T website once pre-orders are open.

Honestly if you consider you're getting 64gb of memory on the S8 over 32gb on the G6 for the little higher price then it's not that bad.

For me... Review on the battery will be my number one concern. iPhone 7+ can have great battery life with a 2900mah battery... does the SD835 really save that much to compete at 3000mah?

I won't go 8 Plus because that thing is just too tall... every quick vid I have seen has mentioned the button is quite a reach. I think the biggest design flaw in the whole phone.

Also really wondering if those buttons images on the bottom are just gonna burn in with time on the OLED screen?

Need full reviews!

Anyone changing their mind one way or the other?

Edit: Ok I see the price.

Verizon - $720 for the S8 and $840 for the S8+
At&t and T-Mobile - $750 for the S8 and $850 for the S8+

Best Buy will offer $100 off.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... if the price is correct than it's not much more than the G6 which is a plus.

I can get the G6 at corporate price of $245 so guessing $250-$299 for S8. Will check AT&T website once pre-orders are open.

Honestly if you consider you're getting 64gb of memory on the S8 over 32gb on the G6 for the little higher price then it's not that bad.

For me... Review on the battery will be my number one concern. iPhone 7+ can have great battery life with a 2900mah battery... does the SD835 really save that much to compete at 3000mah?

I won't go 8 Plus because that thing is just too tall... every quick vid I have seen has mentioned the button is quite a reach. I think the biggest design flaw in the whole phone.

Also really wondering if those buttons images on the bottom are just gonna burn in with time on the OLED screen?

Need full reviews!
Yeah price wise I think they put it exactly where it should be. The extra storage is nice but I'd never need it all since most of my stuff is either on a SD card or in the cloud.

As for battery, that's my biggest question mark. I fully expected the S8+ to go with a 4000 battery and honestly that would have been a huge reason to get it. We'll have to see in a couple months how things are working out.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

Your phone display won't be on anywhere NEAR the time needed for burn in to happen.

I'm unsure, they both look like great phones but they are also both expensive. I would like to see LG counter with a better price (ie 2 year incentives, not free TVs) in an effort to grab fence buyers now that their G6 hype wave has crested.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well just asking... cause I can't help but think... everytime I goto best buy and see a S7 series or even when the Note 7 were on sale, they run through their demo over and over and I ALWAYS see the title screen saying Samsung Galaxy Note 7 deeply burned into all their phones. But I really don't see it with LCD paneled phones like iPhones on display.

Your phone display won't be on anywhere NEAR the time needed for burn in to happen.

I'm unsure, they both look like great phones but they are also both expensive. I would like to see LG counter with a better price (ie 2 year incentives, not free TVs) in an effort to grab fence buyers now that their G6 hype wave has crested.

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Well just asking... cause I can't help but think... everytime I goto best buy and see a S7 series or even when the Note 7 were on sale, they run through their demo over and over and I ALWAYS see the title screen saying Samsung Galaxy Note 7 deeply burned into all their phones. But I really don't see it with LCD paneled phones like iPhones on display.

Aaaaaaaand.... their screens are turned on for 20 hours a day.. 7 days a week...for months.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, those buttons will be displayed, same location, every time you open your unit and those hours will accumulate.

I've seen it... yes on display units but every time I'd visit (often when on the fence for the S7E or Note 7 lol) they are also running their demo/movie you you'd think that would keep from burning... but I consistently see the same burn with all their phones.

I don't have experience with OLED so I'm asking. People say they are the most beautiful screens which I won't argue because I loved the Note 7 screens... but I have read comments of burn in now and then.

Aaaaaaaand.... their screens are turned on for 20 hours a day.. 7 days a week...for months.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Well, those buttons will be displayed, same location, every time you open your unit and those hours will accumulate.

I've seen it... yes on display units but every time I'd visit (often when on the fence for the S7E or Note 7 lol) they are also running their demo/movie you you'd think that would keep from burning... but I consistently see the same burn with all their phones.

I don't have experience with OLED so I'm asking. People say they are the most beautiful screens which I won't argue because I loved the Note 7 screens... but I have read comments of burn in now and then.

I don't think you can rule it out completely, but personally I haven't seen any burn in on any of the AMOLED phones my wife has had. I haven't seen on mine either, but I haven't had one for more than a year yet.

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
From what I've seen so far:
+ looks sleek
+ glass back is less shiny and less reflective than before
+ DeX interests me a lot. Samsung seem to have overtaken MS and Google on this one
+ AMOLED display looks as beautiful as ever
+ Stereo speakers? (according to GSM Arena)
+ Supports new Galileo GPS
+ 3D Home button seems interesting

- dislike the curved displays. Even in Samsung's presentation you can see that the curves are very reflective and distracting
- S8 with 3,000mah battery is disappointing for a larger phone (compared to S7). 3,200mah would have been nice
- fingerprint sensor is in a stupid position (hopefully iris scanner, facial recognition will work well to mitigate that)

Looking forward to the detailed reviews but I think the G6 holds its own this time!

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget, the S8 supports Daydream, and even has its own VR headset and controller. The G6 does not have Daydream compatibility due to hardware restrictions.

The Snapdragon 821 vs. 835 may prove to be a good advantage, as the 64GB base versus the US' 32GB base, not to mention the possibility of Adoptable Storage, while the G6 specifically does not.

I like MST compatibility instead of just Android/Samsung Pay via NFC, and the 256 QAM and LTE-U are nice futureproof touches, especially with cutting-edge LTE technology that T-Mobile is leading the cellular industry with.

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Let's not forget, the S8 supports Daydream, and even has its own VR headset and controller. The G6 does not have Daydream compatibility due to hardware restrictions.

The Snapdragon 821 vs. 835 may prove to be a good advantage, as the 64GB base versus the US' 32GB base, not to mention the possibility of Adoptable Storage, while the G6 specifically does not.

I like MST compatibility instead of just Android/Samsung Pay via NFC, and the 256 QAM and LTE-U are nice futureproof touches, especially with cutting-edge LTE technology that T-Mobile is leading the cellular industry with.

821 vs 835, does it really provide $100 in more performance? And even if you throw in the extra 32gb? Is $100 more really worth it? If it is to you, then more power to you. I have no issues with the 820 I have right now. Never a hiccup. I also have a 128gbSD so I couldn't care less about base storage. Isn't that the whole point of having an SD expansion slot feature?

I didn't want to preorder the LG G6 before they unveiled the S8 and I have to say I wasn't "wowed". The only thing that sort of impressed me was DeX.

I guess I'm a little biased towards flat screens and paying a little less money.

But one thing I do love about the purchase of an S8 is the Gear VR.

Hopefully picking up a G6 soon!

SZQnl

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
S8 also has wireless charging for everyone, regardless of where you live! :)

Regarding burn-in I don't think it's an issue. Many of my friends, family, and colleagues have Samsung phones and they say they have never had burn-in issues. The last AMOLED display I had was with the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and that had on-screen buttons. No issues with that.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like S8 blows away G6 but I prefer my V20 to either.

I don't think so this year s8 blows away the G6... G6 has flat screen and dual camera that has more + than s8
Tried of curved screen.. If Samsung had dual camera and flat screen I would have purchased s8 or s8+

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am watching all this from the sideline, TOTALLY happy with my V10. It just checks off all the boxes I need from a device. That being said, if the carriers further discount the V20 from all this hoopla I could easily be enticed with that.

I don't think the S8 would serve me very well... using the S7 edge as an example. I have to be able to grip around my phone firmly (at lease a little bit) without touching/tapping the screen. A bezel-less design with edge screens will surely result in a lot of drops and fumbles. So I would definitely have some adjustment to make. I would not want to be dropping a glass-backed phone, even with a case.

Is there a way to dial down or turn off the touch sensitivity on those edges?

G6 would be my choice, just based on pure ergonomics... forget about anything else. If I had to make a hard choice between an iPhone and any device with samsung edge screen... I'd take the iPhone in a heartbeat. (as much as it pains me in EVERY OTHER way)... LOL

I would probably eventually have to update a G6 with a battery-bank or an extended battery case if someone makes one. But probably not right away, I get sufficient SOT on my V10... a considerably less efficient model with a smaller but replaceable battery.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance