Camera scratches

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thats not good, however Samsung had a major issue with this last year on the S7 line. Dont think Ive ever heard of Apple having this problem though.

I had the s7 edge last year and my camera lens glass shattered in my pocket. That was a week after the phone fell onto a rubber car floor mat from the seat and smashed the screen. Way too fragile. I got it replaced on insurance claim then bought a G5 instead. Never had any issues with that. And my G6 is flawless too now thankfully

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So after sounding really smug about my camera glass showing no scratches I went for a much closer look under brighter fluorescent lighting and to my dismay I found 2 or 3 little scratches that look much like the OP's photo. I'm not worried but a little disappointed as my phone has been in a Spigen Rugged Armor since I unboxed it and I always make sure I NEVER keep anything else in the same pocket I put my phone in

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
So after sounding really smug about my camera glass showing no scratches I went for a much closer look under brighter fluorescent lighting and to my dismay I found 2 or 3 little scratches that look much like the OP's photo. I'm not worried but a little disappointed as my phone has been in a Spigen Rugged Armor since I unboxed it and I always make sure I NEVER keep anything else in the same pocket I put my phone in
Happens.. Sucks

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone, you basically confirmed that I'm just going to stick with my Moto Z Play for now. I'll probably wait until the fall to see what the options will be. Maybe LG will eventually release the 64gb/dac version in the US by then that may have corrected the camera lens problem.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone, you basically confirmed that I'm just going to stick with my Moto Z Play for now. I'll probably wait until the fall to see what the options will be. Maybe LG will eventually release the 64gb/dac version in the US by then that may have corrected the camera lens problem.

Just wait for the V30

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Anyone still worried about camera scratches (which turns out it really is just a coating) should give the DBrand camera skin a try.

I just received mine and it fits and looks perfect with precise cutouts for the 2 lenses and the flash. They're .98 cents and worth it. If you do order, don't do what I did and order 3. Each set comes with 3 skins so I ended up with 9 total.

I did the matte black and it looks excellent with my matte black Spigen tough armor case and black G6. They are decently thick so your lenses wont touch a table or any flat surface you set your phone on. I wish someone would make a glass lens protector but for now this will work great.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a black Verizon model only thing . . I got the black one because my upgrade price was $100 for the black and $250 for the platinum. I wondered why and thought maybe they were just reducing stock, now I'm beginning to wonder if they know there's a problem with the coating on the black one?

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a black Verizon model only thing . . I got the black one because my upgrade price was $100 for the black and $250 for the platinum. I wondered why and thought maybe they were just reducing stock, now I'm beginning to wonder if they know there's a problem with the coating on the black one?
It's not just a Verizon thing. I'm on T-Mobile and had the issue. I've seen at&t as well and I've also seen a couple reports of the Platinum color getting scratches. They are much harder to see on the Platinum.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at my wife's Platinum model very carefully in a different lighting, and I don't see any fine scratches on the camera. She has a thin, clear Spigen case which has been on since day 4 of owning the phone (about a month now), but she definitely doesn't baby her phones (uses it for work). So, I still think it's a black model issue.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Same here, to this day I don't know how that happened. I put nothing in my pocket with the phone.
I physically watched my first device scratch while I was cleaning it with my shirt. It's why I stopped wiping the camera off and started using tape and eventually got a DBrand skin for it.

Raviteja_k

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
My phone have the same issue but it is after 7 months of usage with out a case... they are like 15-20 scratches.... is there any solution for this ??? any type of cleaning it ??

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the camera glass has some kind of soft coating that scratches easily and doesn't seem to have any real necessity. I'm surprised this thread made it to 139 posts without someone mentioning it - there's another, shorter thread here that does :)

Basically you can use something called "polywatch" or a similar product (polywatch is designed to remove scratches from plastic watch crystals) to polish the coating off and those scratches will go away. If you google "polywatch g6 camera" you'll find lots of advice from people who have done it. I bought some several months ago but my scratches are not yet in the actual lens areas so I haven't done anything with it yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante