They use SMS now?
    Now??? If you're implying Signal has just recently started using SMS, that's not the case. It always has relied on SMS and MMS as its defaults, even going back to its origins (2010) when it was still named TextSecure.
    04-14-2017 04:29 PM
    Now??? If you're implying Signal has just recently started using SMS, that's not the case. It always has relied on SMS and MMS as its defaults, even going back to its origins (2010) when it was still named TextSecure.
    Oh my fault I must have been thinking of a different app. I thought that it was a two-way encryption private messenger app.
    04-14-2017 04:42 PM
    Oh my fault I must have been thinking of a different app. I thought that it was a two-way encryption private messenger app.
    The encryption protocol developed and maintained by Open Whisper and used in Signal has become a security standard. Even Google's Allo and Facebook's WhatsApp and Messenger all use it now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal...tion_protocols
    Encryption, no matter what service, can only take place when both parties (sender and receiver) are using Signal, that's just a fundamental principle. The exchange of encryption keys cannot happen when only one side has a key. In order to have a secure connection both you and your contact need to be using Signal, otherwise it's just a typical texting exchange, with SMS/MMS being the default either secure or not. The same applies to any texting service, if it's WhatsApp for instance than both parties (sender and receiver) must be using WhatsApp for there to be a secure connection (irrelevant if using WhatsApp's native protocol or SMS/MMS).
    johnnyshinta likes this.
    04-14-2017 06:08 PM
    Ok so I tried using Google Messages but my friends were complaining that the MMS messages I was sending were poor quality. I was surprised to see the lack of customizability in the app, especially an option to set the max limit for MMS. Downloaded Textra and it had this option, so I set it to the carrier limit and now they receive them in really great quality. Definitely sold on Textra. Thanks for the suggestion.
    mike770 likes this.
    04-14-2017 06:34 PM
    You can set it up as sms client as well. If I'm correct it uses SMS for non Signal users and IM Signal for Signal users.
    04-15-2017 10:15 AM
    Where is the stock messaging app? Long time iPhone user and I'm lost
    04-17-2017 04:53 PM
    It's called messaging. Yellow icon
    04-20-2017 05:36 PM
    I used Textra for a long time. With the theming on this phone I'm really enjoying the stock messaging app. I never thought I'd say that.
    04-21-2017 05:02 AM
    I used Textra for a long time. With the theming on this phone I'm really enjoying the stock messaging app. I never thought I'd say that.
    The lack of features that are available in Textra and Verizon messages is just too great for me
    04-21-2017 10:26 AM
    chomp sms.
    04-21-2017 08:11 PM
    As I stated in one of the battery threads, I found that Verizon's Messenger + killed battery life on my phone. So I switched to the stock app. I may look into Textra as long as it doesn't hurt battery.
    Interesting... I'll have to turn it off to see if that helps with my V20.
    04-22-2017 12:15 AM
    Interesting... I'll have to turn it off to see if that helps with my V20.
    Let me know if it works for you. Just curious. I read a review on Messenger+ in the Play Store. A lot of reviews mentioned how it was draining batteries. So I disabled it and went with stock Messenger app and my battery life improved drastically. So it's worth a try for anyone on Verizon.
    04-22-2017 12:30 AM
    Let me know if it works for you. Just curious. I read a review on Messenger+ in the Play Store. A lot of reviews mentioned how it was draining batteries. So I disabled it and went with stock Messenger app and my battery life improved drastically. So it's worth a try for anyone on Verizon.
    Were you noticing Messages+ in the battery stats as a high consumer?
    Today 01:47 PM
    Were you noticing Messages+ in the battery stats as a high consumer?
    I don't remember really but I don't think so. All I really know is that I removed it as my default messenger and uninstalled it after reading the reviews. Then I made the stock messenger my default app. The next day my battery life improved greatly and has remained so ever since. I'm pretty consistent in my day to day use. That was the only change I made. Like I said, worth a try. May work, or may not.
    Today 03:46 PM
39 12