Anyone going to get the Galaxy S8 or S8+

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Curious if anyone that owns the G6 is going to jump ship and pick up the new Galaxy devices? If so why? If no, why not?

rdickert

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I might - not because I don't like the G6 - I just have a psychological issue that makes me get new phones when they come out :)

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I won't.

I don't like the curved screen, and lots of reviews say they are on par, so why would I spend more money?

Plus I honestly like the G6 design better than the S8 and when I held on in best buy, I liked the feeling of the G6 in hand more.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My S8+ will be getting delivered tomorrow. I always would have got S8+ but I got the G6 for a good deal so going to keep it for now. Need the 64 GB storage at least for my main phone so will make S8+ daily driver and revert back to G6 if I don't like the S8+. There is a good chance I may sell both and go back to Pixel since I'm sucker for smooth lag free performance, latest updates etc especially when Android O public beta rolls out for the pixel.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
No.

*looks around. LOL

I was inquiring about trade-in bonus at several retailers and the question I keep getting is...

What phone are you using? I say the G6...so why are you upgrading?

Because I can. LOL

ktr04

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
I've had the S8+ since Monday, and while it is a neat device, I prefer the G6. I actually like the flat screen and design of the G6 more as well as the FPS placement and dual camera. Lastly, I don't like how the S8+ feels in the hand, I've tried different cases and naked, but it doesn't feel as premium/solid as the G7 naked to me.

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
No.

*looks around. LOL

I was inquiring about trade-in bonus at several retailers and the question I keep getting is...

What phone are you using? I say the G6...so why are you upgrading?

Because I can. LOL

Do the carriers even have trade in bonuses yet for the G6? Seems too soon.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
After playing with the S8 in store today I came home with a G6. After lots of reading the camera seemed much improved over the initial units some of us had. Glad I did as it doesn't seem like the same camera as the first one.

groundball77

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered a S8+ a few weeks ago, but then saw the G6 and decided I should try it out and return it and get my pre-order if I didn't like it. I had a Note 7 and then ended up with a S7 Edge that I never really liked. I will say that Samsung's UI has come a long way since my Note 4, but this G6 is blowing away the edge. It is snappy, responsive, and I love the build quality and form factor. The screen is really good for LCD. My egde screen is better in certain ways, but I am loving the display on the G6. The bonus is that the display is flat and I can finally use a TG screen protector again.

Long story short, I am keeping the G6 and will wait for the Note 8.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the S8 looks beautiful, and I'm sure it's an amazing device in many respects. Samsung's cameras are top tier as well.

Having said that, I think often times Samsung's heavy coat of paint on its Android UI diminishes most performance gains the processor upgrade provides during day to day use.

I enjoy LG's skin even though it's a little plain. It's lightweight and doesn't bog the phone down with a million convenience features that I don't really need in my day-to-day phone usage.

I have had several LG phones, and I am happy with the camera performance and the camera application. I will say though, that the Galaxy S7 and Note 7 cameras were pretty mind-blowing and definitely easy to use. But the camera is only a minor part of my phone use so the performance issues I had with my Samsungs did not make up for the great camera app. LG provides a perfect all-around package for how I use my phone.

Bottom line, it's another year with two really amazing Flagship phones to start the year off with. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, G6 is just more suited towards me.

the reel d-dave

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure the S8 and S8+ are wonderful devices. I'm sure many out there are loving them and thrilled with them. Good for them.

I really like my G6. I like the wide view camera, I love the screen (thought I am slightly OLED jelly), it does everything I need beautifully. The FPS is fast and easy to use. I have zero complaints about the phone. It's taken a few scary drops in and out of case and survived.

I picked up the G6 when i killed my moto X pure's screen and need a new phone that day. My old G2 still works, and still works well as a toy for my kid. So I decided I'd go for the G6, since it was out earlier. No regrets. I've been extremely happy with it, and I think we'll have a long relationship here =)

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the s8+ and returned the G6. I actually like the feel and design of the G6 better. The only reason I returned it was the camera. I just can't keep a device that I can't get good shots of my children that I could with phones 2,3,4 years ago. Really kind of annoys me but I had similar problems with the v20.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Got the S8+ yesterday and man that thing flies. But every now and then I come back to the G6 the build and how it feels in the hand is great. Really torn, may be better comparison is S8 and G6. With me G6 has a better feel and S8+ is like a kitchen sick of features which I like well.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
After playing with the S8 in store today I came home with a G6. After lots of reading the camera seemed much improved over the initial units some of us had. Glad I did as it doesn't seem like the same camera as the first one.
It's funny cause there were no updates. Maybe a few people received duds

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I just impulsively went against everything I promised myself I wouldnt do. I went into T-Mo to discuss my refund on my original G6 and walked out with a Black S8+. This phone addiction is not healthy. Now Ive got to decide if I keep them both or return one before my 30 day return period is up (Business customer).

The main reason for trying the S8+ is the camera. I already dont like the curved screen and have no screen protector for it. I will say though it is on par with the Note 7's curve and much more subtle. Ive got to set it up and run it for a few days to see what I think but right now I hate myself for even looking at it in the store.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I decided I was happy with my G6. Went to T-Mo today to pick up the new ZTE smartwatch they got in stock (which I love) and was seeing people there playing with the new S8 since it was released today. Didn't spark any remorse. They are both great phones respectively but the G6 suits me better. Looking forward to what's coming in the future with LG.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It's funny cause there were no updates. Maybe a few people received duds

Night and day difference. Not sure what it was but we both know this forum was buzzing with complaints about poor quality and speed of the shutter. I still feel it's slow but it's very solid. Samsung s8 level? Probably not for the quick auto shot capability but if you leave the app open you will get quality shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz