Sorry LG. The s8+ got me.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Regardless of how that device got in that condition in such a short time, it reinforces my disdain for the whole myth that phones should be made from materials like glass and/or aluminum. Glass is pretty much unavoidable for the screen, but there are better alternatives for the rest of the device.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Regardless of how that device got in that condition in such a short time, it reinforces my disdain for the whole myth that phones should be made from materials like glass and/or aluminum. Glass is pretty much unavoidable for the screen, but there are better alternatives for the rest of the device.

I completely agree. I don't know how we got to this point that a high end phone must glass or metal. Nokia had some great looking phones that were polycarbonate, I believe.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I completely agree. I don't know how we got to this point that a high end phone must glass or metal. Nokia had some great looking phones that were polycarbonate, I believe.

People complained for years that the plastic was cheap and didnt feel premium. Then they went to metal and people complained it scratched and dented. Then people wanted wireless charging so glass came into play to accommodate it. We complain, eventually get what we want, then complain we want what we had back with all the new features lol. Its a viscous cycle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
People complained for years that the plastic was cheap and didnt feel premium. Then they went to metal and people complained it scratched and dented. Then people wanted wireless charging so glass came into play to accommodate it. We complain, eventually get what we want, then complain we want what we had back with all the new features lol. Its a viscous cycle.

^

This.

imnjs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I personally never cared what material my phone was made out of. I care about what's under the hood and support/updates. You can have a phone made out of diamond but if it doesn't perform up to expectations then what's the point.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Kevlar knit backing on my Turbo, and I absolutely love it as a backing. Granted some call it gimmicky, but even without a case it looks brand new 30 months later.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually was able to exchange my G6 for the S8+ and my gripes were alleviated with the FPS on the larger device. And the camera on my S8 was consistently getting more shots than my G6 after I went into my memory card and looked at them on my computer. The G6 is an awesome phone but I just wanted more screen. If I was a big baller status type guy I'd own both. This year is a win win for all of us no matter what phone we get.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I actually was able to exchange my G6 for the S8+ and my gripes were alleviated with the FPS on the larger device. And the camera on my S8 was consistently getting more shots than my G6 after I went into my memory card and looked at them on my computer. The G6 is an awesome phone but I just wanted more screen. If I was a big baller status type guy I'd own both. This year is a win win for all of us no matter what phone we get.
I reluctantly just dropped my G6 off at UPS to return it to T-Mo. I couldn't justify keeping them both and a few features on the 8+ swayed me. That dual BT audio is something I've been after for years and the DEX Station is very appealing.

The G6 is such a nice phone and Im already regretting giving it up but I don't need 2 phones.

solotristan88

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I reluctantly just dropped my G6 off at UPS to return it to T-Mo. I couldn't justify keeping them both and a few features on the 8+ swayed me. That dual BT audio is something I've been after for years and the DEX Station is very appealing.

The G6 is such a nice phone and Im already regretting giving it up but I don't need 2 phones.

How long is the return window for t mobile?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

My Droid MAXX went uncased most of the 2.5 years I put it to use.... Still looks mint and I never had a screen protector. It had a Kevlar back and felt great as hell. Never once did it not feel premium. Dropped it dozens of times. Still have it as a backup though I doubt I'll actually put it to use. It also had a decent sized battery in a small package.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

What pushed you over the edge to pick the s8? I'm still on the fence. My battery life isn't nearly as good as I was expecting or what people are reporting for the 8plus. I don't know if I've ever been so torn over two different phones at the same time.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
What pushed you over the edge to pick the s8? I'm still on the fence. My battery life isn't nearly as good as I was expecting or what people are reporting for the 8plus. I don't know if I've ever been so torn over two different phones at the same time.
Bluetooth dual audio was a big one for me. I do like the amoled screen this year much more than last. I'm not seeing the horrible yellow tint that I hated on last year's s7 series. I'm getting about 8 hours SOT on the 8+ which isn't much more than the G6 but still 1 1/2 hours additional. I'm very interested in the DEX station. My work is paying for Samsung Premium Care so not being able to protect the screen isnt so much of a concern as it was. The enhanced lte capability since my area is due to get it very soon. This one is kind of silly but I want access to all that android has to offer, including VR. I'm not a big VR fan but my kids are and I do enjoy the occasional Netflix on it. One other ridiculous thing but I like the Samsung emojis. I came from iOS and hate the android emojis lol.

With that being said, the G6 was more comfortable to hold due to the thickness of it and I liked the wide angle lens alot. Picture quality is honestly very similar. You get blurry low light images on the S8+ just like the G6.

Both phones are excellent this year. I wish the samsung was a bit more comfortable to hold but I'm sure I can find a case to resolve that.

Anu Mantra

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: RIDICULOUS - scratches so easily !

Now I wonder if the scratches would show as well on the ice platinum when compared to the black?

That will be interesting to watch. Uptill now mine is covered with a case and sitting comfortably on wooden table most of the time. Let's see if any users using without a case comes up with same issue.

Reg Robinson

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Enjoy your new phone! I'm digging the G6 but there's no such thing as one device for everyone... Despite what Apple would have you think.

Last edited:

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
2017 is the year of the musical phone lol

I've seen more G6 to S8 to G6 to S8 than I've seen with two competing phones in recent memory. Both excellent phones, but neither are perfect.

There is never going to be a perfect smartphone, no matter what Pixel people try to tell you!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
2017 is the year of the musical phone lol

I've seen more G6 to S8 to G6 to S8 than I've seen with two competing phones in recent memory. Both excellent phones, but neither are perfect.

There is never going to be a perfect smartphone, no matter what Pixel people try to tell you!
But I had all 3 and never said the Pixel was perfect ! :p.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
But I had all 3 and never said the Pixel was perfect ! :p.

Its nice to see g6 to s8 to G6...
Iam happy to see G6 do well coz LG really made a awesome phone this year... My G6 in my hands totally loving it and best part it's dual sim with 64gb storage and hifi dac

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon