Questions/ Issues with G6

nicjimbass

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Hey all, first time posting here. I apologize if I ask questions that were already answered. Tried searching, but came up empty handed.

I came from an iPhone 6 Plus, for reference. This is my first Android smartphone, although I had a Samsung Tab Lite 3 tablet for a while a few years ago.

I became used to the screen waking up when I received a notification. I've tried finding a native setting to make this happen, but I haven't found anything.

I also became accustomed to having unread boxes on apps that have new content (email, Facebok, etc.). It seems that some apps have this, others don't, the biggest being Gmail.

I've downloaded Nova Launcher Prime, Tesla Unread and Floatify, which seems to get me 95% of the way there, but then it seems other issues arise, possibly because of settings within these apps, or because they may not play well together.

Floatify works best when I use their lock screen. It wakes my phone, and gives me heads-up notifications, like an iPhone. Without it, I get a vibration, and that's about it. However, with the G6's 18:9 aspect ratio, there is always a bar at the top and bottom of my lock screen that looks out of place. Using app scaling disables the app altogether. It makes the phone look like it's hobbled together. I'm trying to find a fix.

For some reason, my home screen timeout function continually resets to 15 seconds, and it seems like it's one of the apps mentioned above doing it, although I can't find a comparable setting in any of them. I'm constantly resetting it to 1 minute, or else my screen closes in the middle of reading something.

Last night, I noticed my Do Not Disturb function isn't staying on after I lock the screen and open it back up... is this normal? I would assume it would stay on until I turn it off.

TL;DR: Looking to have my G6 wake the screen when I get notifications, show when apps have new content, all while not feeling like my phone is pieced together (using as much native function as possible).

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Waking the screen with notifications isn't a standard feature of Android. Some phones do this, but most don't. You can add the feature with 3rd party apps like DynamicNotifications.

I haven't encountered any significant issues with Nova Launcher Prime and TeslaUnread on my Nexus 6P. What issues are you seeing?

Do you have any power-saving modes turned on? That might be influencing the screen timeout setting.

nicjimbass

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I believe I remedied the wake screen issue. I uninstalled several apps, including Floatify, then reinstalled them. My phone now wakes, and the lock screen is the correct aspect ratio.

DND seems to also be working normally again.

Seems I didn't have issues with Nova or TeslaUnread, as far as I can tell. It's working well now.

Biggest issue is still the screen timeout. I've scoured the settings on the apps I've downloaded, and there is nothing that I can see that would cause this issue. It seems to randomly reset, so I'm stumped. I don't have any power saving modes on. I even downloaded a 3rd party app made specifically to adjust the timeout length, but that didn't change anything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad you solved some of your issues!

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but just to be sure -- you're looking at the display timeout setting (i.e., how long the screen will stay on while idle before turning off), and not the Automatically Lock setting (i.e., how long after the screen has turned off before the phone actually locks, requiring you to go through the lock screen again), right?

nicjimbass

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
It's this one, located under Display. It was giving me a hard time yesterday, but seems to be staying at one minute since last night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-04-28-06-46-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-04-28-06-46-56.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 26