Vacation Camera - AC Article

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep.... I can atest to this. When the family unit would go on vacation, my wife would often bring a dedicated camera with us, even after getting her first smartphone. As the quality of the output from those cameras increased, she used the camera less and less. And the last two years we've left the dedicated camera at home and relied on our two phones (hers S7 Edge, mine 6P).

As I right this, my wife's new LG G6 is sitting here on the desk with a nice tempered glass screen slab installed on the thing... so reading this article puts my mind at ease.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing how technology evolves over time and what a difference demand makes. People rather have a smartphone camera than buy a dedicated camera that can well, only do that :)

I remember spending quite a lot on a camera about 6 years ago and it was light years better than my smartphone. However, today, the gap is less noticeable and you need to purchase a high end camera to see a difference.

The only thing smartphones can't compete on is zoom. But with 2x zoom on the iPhone and a rumoured x3 zoom on the Note 8. Things are once again. Closing the gap :)

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Very glad to see this article. I wasn't totally sure about the camera but had gone ahead and bought one this morning (before the article). I'll be picking up my new G6 this afternoon :)

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Very glad to see this article. I wasn't totally sure about the camera but had gone ahead and bought one this morning (before the article). I'll be picking up my new G6 this afternoon :)

LG does a very good job with their cameras, they just don't get much 'recognition' for them. I hope you enjoy your device.

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When I went hiking in Peru, all my pictures were with my G4. It did a remarkable job, even with the time lapse night pictures. It only lacked when zooming in on wildlife in the distance.

The G6 will be my only camera for my vacation this year as well. Although I might look into one of those clip on zoom lenses, just in case.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I got my G6 on launch day, two days before we went on vacation. I still have all of the pictures and videos on my phone. Even with two kids who were whining at times, I was still able to capture some great shots and videos. Indoors in a dimly lit space was more challenging. I definitely saw a difference in the amount of light that both cameras let in. But I have to say, the wide angle made all the difference! I was able to be close and yet capture so much. For most of the time indoors shooting videos I left it on manual and just adjusted the iso when I'd encounter a darker room. So much more intuitive than using tap to focus or tap for exposure. Once you go manual, you never go back. I'm still working on getting better at taking manual photos, but manual videos is very useful and easy to use.

If anyone cares to see any photos, I can post them here. I'm still working on piecing the video clips together when I have the time.

A concern I had was how much the battery would drain using the camera a lot. I was very happy with it.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Camera phones really have overtaken the point-and-shoot market over the last 3 years. Unless you bring a large DSLR camera with you, there's little reason these days to bring a regular digital camera.