Anybody get a G6 after having S8? (Update: I got the G6)

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've said since the reviews came out that the G6 is a worthy alternative to the Galaxy S8.

Until something tragic happens to it, I stand by it.

It's easily the best mainstream LG device in years and is definitely a worthy contender, even if its spec-sheet is a little "late-2016" (which doesn't matter since performance is identical anyway).

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've said since the reviews came out that the G6 is a worthy alternative to the Galaxy S8.

It's easily the best mainstream LG device in years and is definitely a worthy contender, even if its spec-sheet is a little "late-2016" (which doesn't matter since performance is identical anyway).

Agreed. I had the s8 plus and the best way I can describe it is a block of wood wrapped up in gold. All that glitters....it disappointed in so many key areas...I.e. Screen, camera.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The way I look at it, and the way that influenced my purchase is simple.... LG seems to have taken a straightforward, pragmatic route. They built the equivalent of a Volvo S60. Sure, they added in a little bit of flash, but only as accents and highlights... I don't disparage any reviews that use a word like 'boring' to describe it. But that is precisely what LG needed. Avoid the gonzo phone design paradigm that birthed the G5/V10 and give us something of substance. They scaled back the out-there design choices and addressed a lot of the complaints people had with the previous phones. And it seems to have be met with success.

woulda been nice to have the quad-DAC 64GB model here in the States though... oh well.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The way I look at it, and the way that influenced my purchase is simple.... LG seems to have taken a straightforward, pragmatic route. They built the equivalent of a Volvo S60. Sure, they added in a little bit of flash, but only as accents and highlights... I don't disparage any reviews that use a word like 'boring' to describe it. But that is precisely what LG needed. Avoid the gonzo phone design paradigm that birthed the G5/V10 and give us something of substance. They scaled back the out-there design choices and addressed a lot of the complaints people had with the previous phones. And it seems to have be met with success.

woulda been nice to have the quad-DAC 64GB model here in the States though... oh well.

Oh yes that would have been great.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. I had the s8 plus and the best way I can describe it is a block of wood wrapped up in gold. All that glitters....it disappointed in so many key areas...I.e. Screen, camera.
TBH, the S8+ is my personal pick. I've used edged phones before and I personally don't have too much issues holding them.

The G6 is definitely worth consideration if you want a flat display or you want something different, though.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: search for apps

Hi folk how do you search for apps if you don't have the app drawer enabled?
Swipe down gesture to bring up app search and start typing. It will pull up apps based on what you type. That's how I search on every phone I have with or without app drawer. Works great on iOS too. LG launcher supports it, if a phone had a launcher that doesn't support, I'll install Nova and set up swipe down gesture to bring up App search.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: Anybody get a G6 after having S8?

I really envy this region wise model change. I wish LG should have released quad-dac with 64 gb in USA. My LG V20 was so great in terms of audio quality with the B&O Earphones. Same earphones on G6 and I could feel the downside difference. :mad:

It's ridiculous. Having had the HQ audio on HTC I can't not have it. So that rules the G6 out totally. What a fail.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anybody get a G6 after having S8?

It's ridiculous. Having had the HQ audio on HTC I can't not have it. So that rules the G6 out totally. What a fail.

Fail? Lol

No phone is the be all end all of phones. LGG6 meets a lot of ✓ marks for a lot of people. If there are features missing that you can find on another phone, by all means...

To suggest the phone is a fail because of that is pretty asinine.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't agree more.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Well Im back. Just exchanged my S8+ for another G6. The G6 is just too comfortable and much easier to protect. Love this phone even with a few shortcomings.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Ive always loved the LG keyboard

I don't even see the need for gboard. That being said is there a way to change the colors? Like a dark theme? I couldn't find it.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Thinking of getting the LG g6

That slab feels really good in the hand (Flossy? ;)) and a solid machine. I personally prefer the flat glass and IMO that 2:1 screen flat looks good and don't have to worry about finding a good glass protector. To me I think the S8 camera is the better of the two but the G6 wide angle lens sounds like a cool feature. The S8 is beautiful but LG did a good job on design too. Pluses and minus' between the two but both really nice phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SB9bmYY8Lw

I was very disappointed with the s8 camera and totally pleased with the g6 camera!!

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
No phone is ever perfect, just what works best for our individual needs. Hope you enjoy it.

I have regretted sending mine back everyday and as soon as he handed me the new one I remembered just as great this phone is to hold. Got my favorite case back on and a screen protector that actually works. No more anxiety if I drop my phone.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I have regretted sending mine back everyday and as soon as he handed me the new one I remembered just as great this phone is to hold. Got my favorite case back on and a screen protector that actually works. No more anxiety if I drop my phone.

Welcome back bro...i just purchased G6 here in india 1st day with it and going naked as case has not arrived and i dont feel that nervous holding it the way i would feel holding S7 edge or S8...and soo relieved that i can have a tempered glass on my G6
Soo far very happy ..i have the dual sim version with 64gb and hifi dac

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Need help with Android Pay

Hi folks. When I had the S8 plus Samsung pay was easy at Costco...this time I held the phone at the same spot and nothing happened. I had NFC enabled etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20