I am impressed with the LG G6

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are you still happy with your G6?

I have the Moto X Pure, and am considering the G6... How was your transition? I love the extras that Moto (ugh.. now Lenovo) put into it. Twist for camera, chop for flashlight, etc. Do you miss any of those?

Also why I still have my Moto X Pure

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I gave my Moto X pure to my wife nearly a year ago. Still love that phone. May possibly be the best phone I have ever had. She smashed the screen several days ago. She loved that phone so much that she wanted the same phone as a replacement. So I bought her a brand new one. Great price. She still loves it. She has no desire for anything else. They are still available in white only, but I would still recommend the Moto X Pure for anyone!

mark233

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site

I have the Moto X Pure, and am considering the G6... How was your transition? I love the extras that Moto (ugh.. now Lenovo) put into it. Twist for camera, chop for flashlight, etc. Do you miss any of those?

Transition wasn't that bad for me. I still love my Moto and still have it.

I really haven't missed the twist for camera (although I do like that) ... the chop for flashlight I really don't miss ... yet (because I haven't been in a situation where I've needed the flashlight)...I know it's a very handy gesture.

For me the thing I miss most (while using my G6) are the front firing speakers. The speaker on the G6 is decently loud but nothing like the Moto.

I am enjoying better battery life with the G6.

I'm not a power user and I can go all day on a charge on the Moto and the G6 --- but I can definitely say that at the end of the day I have more charge left on the G6.

I much prefer the camera on the G6.

Ian Bower

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

Loving the battery life since last update!

Attachments

• Capture+_2017-05-20-09-22-32.jpg
    Capture+_2017-05-20-09-22-32.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 51

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

Loving the battery life since last update!

I definitely can't complain about battery life. The only I charge my G6 is on the way to work and the way back home in my car. It's a 30 minute drive there and 30 minute drive back. Never have any need to charge it at work or home and it's always connected to my Moto 360. And I am a heavy user. Not a power user but I definitely pick up my phone up a lot for calls, emails and texts throughout the day.

I guess it could be because I don't have a lot of apps installed because I don't need many.

Love my G6. Just wish there was a reason to rock a G6 and a Note 4. But I can't justify it lol.

8284.jpg

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

I definitely can't complain about battery life. The only I charge my G6 is on the way to work and the way back home in my car. It's a 30 minute drive there and 30 minute drive back. Never have any need to charge it at work or home and it's always connected to my Moto 360. And I am a heavy user. Not a power user but I definitely pick up my phone up a lot for calls, emails and texts throughout the day.

I guess it could be because I don't have a lot of apps installed because I don't need many.

Love my G6. Just wish there was a reason to rock a G6 and a Note 4. But I can't justify it lol.

View attachment 260478

Here's display. Not insane but generally good.

Attachments

• 8286.jpg
    8286.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 48

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Only one full day with my SIM in it and I like it alot! But it's definitely a bit of a transition from my Nexus 6. I feel like the display and typing are a bit cramped and yet still not quite narrow enough to be comfortable holding and typing in one hand. Otherwise it's a powerhouse. Everything is snappy. The battery seems great. I was on track for 9 hours SOT with no SIM, only WiFi. I had over 4 hours SOT on full day one, but that was hard use with lots of tethering for my Nexus 6 to backup stuff from there and then downloading to G6 and installing apps and such. I think more like at least 5 hours SOT will be my experience with normal usage.

Display is fantastic, though my eyes aren't what they used to be and I think I would be just as happy with 1080p for an LCD this size (I feel OLED are not as crisp and definitely benefit from higher resolution, but probably not necessary here). Auto brightness is perfect for me and colors and blacks are great even coming from an OLED device. Not sure why others are having trouble with screen brightness, maybe they have screen protector that interferes with ambient sensor. The low brightness in dark room and brightest outside are great and normal indoor use adjusts perfectly for me, so much nicer than Nexus 6 auto brightness, which doesn't handle the extremes well.

I definitely miss a few things from the Nexus experience (settings layout, Google dialer, no bloat, updates), but the G6 US unlocked version has very little bloatware and overall is a pretty great experience.

At first I was a little annoyed with lack of side power button, but tap to wake and sleep is the best thing ever! I am already tapping on my other devices expecting them to wake.

My main reason for upgrading was the camera experience on Nexus 6 which can take great HDR+ photos, but the camera is so painfully slow to take the shot and even slower to process it. Normally can't take a second HDR+ shot for 30 seconds. My daughter is used to holding a pose for 5 seconds while it captures the shots. G6 is a great camera. Though I will normally use auto, I love having the manual controls. I also love the slightly narrower than average main lens with supplemental wide angle. G6 has only slightly more detail than Nexus 6 HDR+, but better dynamic range and low light performance. Unfortunately I think the front camera is a little weak for a flagship especially in low light.

Speaker is plenty loud, but a little tinny or echo or something and I definitely miss front facing speakers.

And I really didn't want to give up wireless charging, so I am extremely happy it has that!

I expect I will probably still get a larger Pixel XL 2 or small tablet later in the year, but I really have no complaint about the G6. I know most people don't feel the same, but if it was a half inch wider I think it would be nearly perfect for me.

benjamin19

Trusted Member
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Only one full day with my SIM in it and I like it alot! But it's definitely a bit of a transition from my Nexus 6. I feel like the display and typing are a bit cramped and yet still not quite narrow enough to be comfortable holding and typing in one hand. Otherwise it's a powerhouse. Everything is snappy. The battery seems great. I was on track for 9 hours SOT with no SIM, only WiFi. I had over 4 hours SOT on full day one, but that was hard use with lots of tethering for my Nexus 6 to backup stuff from there and then downloading to G6 and installing apps and such. I think more like at least 5 hours SOT will be my experience with normal usage.

Display is fantastic, though my eyes aren't what they used to be and I think I would be just as happy with 1080p for an LCD this size (I feel OLED are not as crisp and definitely benefit from higher resolution, but probably not necessary here). Auto brightness is perfect for me and colors and blacks are great even coming from an OLED device. Not sure why others are having trouble with screen brightness, maybe they have screen protector that interferes with ambient sensor. The low brightness in dark room and brightest outside are great and normal indoor use adjusts perfectly for me, so much nicer than Nexus 6 auto brightness, which doesn't handle the extremes well.

I definitely miss a few things from the Nexus experience (settings layout, Google dialer, no bloat, updates), but the G6 US unlocked version has very little bloatware and overall is a pretty great experience.

At first I was a little annoyed with lack of side power button, but tap to wake and sleep is the best thing ever! I am already tapping on my other devices expecting them to wake.

My main reason for upgrading was the camera experience on Nexus 6 which can take great HDR+ photos, but the camera is so painfully slow to take the shot and even slower to process it. Normally can't take a second HDR+ shot for 30 seconds. My daughter is used to holding a pose for 5 seconds while it captures the shots. G6 is a great camera. Though I will normally use auto, I love having the manual controls. I also love the slightly narrower than average main lens with supplemental wide angle. G6 has only slightly more detail than Nexus 6 HDR+, but better dynamic range and low light performance. Unfortunately I think the front camera is a little weak for a flagship especially in low light.

Speaker is plenty loud, but a little tinny or echo or something and I definitely miss front facing speakers.

And I really didn't want to give up wireless charging, so I am extremely happy it has that!

I expect I will probably still get a larger Pixel XL 2 or small tablet later in the year, but I really have no complaint about the G6. I know most people don't feel the same, but if it was a half inch wider I think it would be nearly perfect for me.

Awesome analysis. I have an affinity for the Nexus 6. I have large hands, so the Nexus 6 fit perfectly. I regret never getting one, but at that time i was experimenting with the new OnePlus One, which I love as well and is all a great phone today. The fact that you kept that phone for 3 years is awesome. I really want to do the same for my G6.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site

Awesome analysis. I have an affinity for the Nexus 6. I have large hands, so the Nexus 6 fit perfectly. I regret never getting one, but at that time i was experimenting with the new OnePlus One, which I love as well and is all a great phone today. The fact that you kept that phone for 3 years is awesome. I really want to do the same for my G6.

I always like the largest display that fits in my pocket. I don't want to go taller as N6 is even a little tall in some front jeans pockets to sit with, but width is no issue.

The original Note was exactly same width as N6 and was even better sized being less tall. I ordered the international Note model as soon as it was available as that was when carriers still customized devices and took months to get them in US. My daughter still plays with it.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site

Yep. Still loving mine. I'm just happy (after TWO defective S8+) to have a phone that isn't screwed.

The latest update improved the camera, which is awesome.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Transition wasn't that bad for me. I still love my Moto and still have it.

I really haven't missed the twist for camera (although I do like that) ... the chop for flashlight I really don't miss ... yet (because I haven't been in a situation where I've needed the flashlight)...I know it's a very handy gesture.

For me the thing I miss most (while using my G6) are the front firing speakers. The speaker on the G6 is decently loud but nothing like the Moto.

I am enjoying better battery life with the G6.

I'm not a power user and I can go all day on a charge on the Moto and the G6 --- but I can definitely say that at the end of the day I have more charge left on the G6.

I much prefer the camera on the G6.

I never thought about the lack of front firing speakers... Think I would definitely miss that too. Though, I don't think many devices lately feature FF speakers so I might not have much of a choice. Thankfully I use LG Tone Infinim Bluetooth headset which I love. The G6 will definitely help get the most out of that I think.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

My wife loves her G6, and it's tempted me in the times I've used it. But my Droid Turbo (yes, the OG) is running fine without any hiccups (battery has dipped, but still getting a full day out of it). So tough to sink money into a new phone just because.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

My wife loves her G6, and it's tempted me in the times I've used it. But my Droid Turbo (yes, the OG) is running fine without any hiccups (battery has dipped, but still getting a full day out of it). So tough to sink money into a new phone just because.

That's kinda were I'm at. My wife has the G5, which she loves, and has been using LG phones since the G3. She's always had phenomenal battery life which I'm jealous of as any Moto XPE owner can attest. Other than the battery, I love my Moto and have no real reason to upgrade. I've coped with my battery by surrounding myself with quick charge chargers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol