Is the G6 for me coming from G4?

t_p

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Have been on G4 and Sprint for 1.5 years. The main thing I do with a phone that I am concerned about is watching TV/Movies. The main draw for me with the G6 is the camera, since I like the G4 camera and like the idea of the wide angle option.

What I am not sure about with the G6 is that the screen is narrower than the G4. I watch a little something, TV or movie pretty much every night on my G4 before bed and am always wishing the screen were a little wider/larger.

It's not just the G6 but it seems like all the phones this year have gone narrower. I hate iphones and not sure but gut check says not thrilled at the edges of the G8+, and the price is premium there too, so no solution it seems.

So my question is, anybody out there watching media regularly on the G6 and happy with it coming from a G4 or similar screen size? I am wondering what I would think about that longer 18:9 crop on all my media. I went to a Sprint store but the phones were strapped tight to the displays so I couldnt really sample.

I might just wait to see what the V30 specs are before deciding. or maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and get a tablet of some sort?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Have been on G4 and Sprint for 1.5 years. The main thing I do with a phone that I am concerned about is watching TV/Movies. The main draw for me with the G6 is the camera, since I like the G4 camera and like the idea of the wide angle option.

What I am not sure about with the G6 is that the screen is narrower than the G4. I watch a little something, TV or movie pretty much every night on my G4 before bed and am always wishing the screen were a little wider/larger.

It's not just the G6 but it seems like all the phones this year have gone narrower. I hate iphones and not sure but gut check says not thrilled at the edges of the G8+, and the price is premium there too, so no solution it seems.

So my question is, anybody out there watching media regularly on the G6 and happy with it coming from a G4 or similar screen size? I am wondering what I would think about that longer 18:9 crop on all my media. I went to a Sprint store but the phones were strapped tight to the displays so I couldnt really sample.

I might just wait to see what the V30 specs are before deciding. or maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and get a tablet of some sort?

G6 would be for you coming from a G5. It's definitely an upgrade from the G4. Do you need it? Probably not, but with all the bootloop issues and the new stability and optimizations they've enhanced in the G6 I believe is definitely worth the upgrade. I actually liked the G4 more than my G5, minus the lack of wide angle camera.

As for the screen for video, it's great. Not all videos are chopped on the side but admittedly most of them are. But from what I've read, and don't quote me on this, videos are going to be converted or recorded in the 18:9 ratio more frequently as phones get released with these screens.

I haven't had any issue at all. I actually really like how they can fit such a large display in a tiny form factor. It makes the G6 easier to use and more pocket friendly.

I want to say to almost always trust your gut though. If you're not in a rush and rather wait for the V30 to be announced, wait. Regret sucks.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Ian Bower

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Came from a G4.. Albeit with a brief flirtation with an edge 7.. It's a very natural progression, would heartily recommend it because everything just seems to.. work..I realise that seems a silly statement when you are buying a £600 phone but it just does.. No lag, no crashes, no stutter great cameras and battery life. Just a pleasure to own. As was the G4 before it!

t_p

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Think I need to actually get my hands on a G6 to know for sure... Will try another store at some point... Definitely not in a hurry since the G4 is still suiting me fine, aside from some of the G6 temptations.. The V20 I noticed has a bit wider screen so wondering if maybe they will keep that for the V30, but seems like the fad now is to go narrow, unfortunately...

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Think I need to actually get my hands on a G6 to know for sure... Will try another store at some point... Definitely not in a hurry since the G4 is still suiting me fine, aside from some of the G6 temptations.. The V20 I noticed has a bit wider screen so wondering if maybe they will keep that for the V30, but seems like the fad now is to go narrow, unfortunately...

I wouldn't call it a fad necessarily. It's [arguably] more functional. Easier to hold, easier to carry in the pocket and aesthetically gorgeous. If water resistance doesn't matter to you then V20 should be a consideration.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a fad necessarily. It's [arguably] more functional. Easier to hold, easier to carry in the pocket and aesthetically gorgeous. If water resistance doesn't matter to you then V20 should be a consideration.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a "fad" since there are a couple of clear reasons to do it this way:

1. Easier to do "big screen stuff" on a smaller phone. The screen size of the G6 is equivalent to that of my old G3, but the phone is narrower and easier to use.

2. The 18:9 aspect ratio is becoming a more common format and we're already seeing the advantage through Netflix and the HDR support exclusive to the G6.

That being said, it's all a matter of personal preference. I just watched the first two hours of the new Twin Peaks on my G6 last night and, although the sides are cropped, it was a clear, crisp picture with good color and without the grainiest/artifacting that you often see in the blacks in streaming video.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love the 18:9 aspect ratio of this device, even if apps and content need to be scaled to fit. Like others have said, it is easy to hold. It's a phablet sized screen, in a smaller frame.

The display looks great and I've watched Dr. Strange, Into the Badlands, and Blackhawk Down. No complaints here!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Like you, I do a lot of video viewing on my phones. I Netflixed quite regularly with my Nexus 5 and LG G3, and sometimes with my Honor 8. The G6 is 5.7" but I see what you're say not about its narrower appearance. From what I've seen of the display in the store, it seems like the display is gorgeous and could certainly supply you with a beautiful viewing experience in that regard. But as far as screen length, etc, you will have to demo it and see how you like the screen's size with regards to movies and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol