new g6 . . just not feeling it . . ?

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Normally I hate it when people get a new phone then come on the forum to rag about how they don't like it . . I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

I really want to love this phone but I just keep running into weird (imo) quirks of the LG skin that I'm just not used to coming from all my previous phones being mostly stock android.

This morning I realized that if I restart my phone it erases the battery stats and starts over; I had 78% battery and went in to check my screen on time, it said 3 minutes, so the only way to get accurate battery stats is to never shut your phone off or restart? My motos and even blackberry priv allowed me to choose a time period for stat history.

Anyway, dumb and insignificant I know, certainly not a deal breaker, but the accumulated effect of these quirky little things has me ready to return it. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it and it will become the new normal.

Sorry for the hypocritical rant, many things I love about the phone, but just struggling with the skin.

Edit/add . . btw I have had the phone 2 days and the camera glass is all scratched to heck, and I baby my phones, only in and out,of a pocket with nothing in it, I swear it scratched trying to clean it with a microfiber cloth too . . I thought this was gorilla glass?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not keen on the stock G6 skin/theme/launcher so I just switched to Nova launcher like my previous phones and it makes all the difference to my experience. As for the battery stats you should maybe download the GSam app. It's probably the most polular battery monitoring app out there and will give way better stats than the built in one.

Then onto the camera glass and its scratches. It's a very common problem that keeps adding more and more people on here to the list. I have one light scratch on mine and it's away from the camera lenses so I'm leaving it for now but I believe there is some kind of protective coating on the glass that's very easily scratched and it's not the actual gorilla glass itself. A few people in here have polished off that coating and the scratches have gone with it with no adverse effects to the photos. I've bought a tube of PolyWatch from Amazon to do the same if/when any scratches bother me enough as that's supposed to rub that coating off very easily with just a rub of a cloth for a few mins.

Finally, if you're not feeling it and think you won't get used to it long term I'd probably use the camera scratches to get a return on it for something you know you'll be happy with for longer. I like mine, don't think I quite love it though. It's a great all rounder that does lots of things well overall but doesn't really excell in any one particular area

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not keen on the stock G6 skin/theme/launcher so I just switched to Nova launcher like my previous phones and it makes all the difference to my experience. As for the battery stats you should maybe download the GSam app. It's probably the most polular battery monitoring app out there and will give way better stats than the built in one.

Then onto the camera glass and its scratches. It's a very common problem that keeps adding more and more people on here to the list. I have one light scratch on mine and it's away from the camera lenses so I'm leaving it for now but I believe there is some kind of protective coating on the glass that's very easily scratched and it's not the actual gorilla glass itself. A few people in here have polished off that coating and the scratches have gone with it with no adverse effects to the photos. I've bought a tube of PolyWatch from Amazon to do the same if/when any scratches bother me enough as that's supposed to rub that coating off very easily with just a rub of a cloth for a few mins.

Finally, if you're not feeling it and think you won't get used to it long term I'd probably use the camera scratches to get a return on it for something you know you'll be happy with for longer. I like mine, don't think I quite love it though. It's a great all rounder that does lots of things well overall but doesn't really excell in any one particular area

Thanks, that is very helpful. I have installed my usual trio of Action, Nova, and Arrow launchers, so that's fine, but of course they don't change the settings menu, etc. Have had GSam in the past and should give that another go. And thanks for the tip on the camera glass, I have three scratches that crisscross right in front of the lens, what you shared is probably true but I'd hate to think I have to do that to a new device to make it 'right'.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if one of the things that's not doing it for me is the narrowness of the screen, I liked the idea of 5.7 inch screen in a smaller body, but because of the aspect ratio change I actually feel more "cramped" than I do on my 5.5 priv or turbo 2?

Been wondering if I would even be allowed to return it with scratches, won't they say I damaged it and have to keep it?

Coraya

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Normally I hate it when people get a new phone then come on the forum to rag about how they don't like it . . I guess that makes me a hypocrite.

I really want to love this phone but I just keep running into weird (imo) quirks of the LG skin that I'm just not used to coming from all my previous phones being mostly stock android.

This morning I realized that if I restart my phone it erases the battery stats and starts over; I had 78% battery and went in to check my screen on time, it said 3 minutes, so the only way to get accurate battery stats is to never shut your phone off or restart? My motos and even blackberry priv allowed me to choose a time period for stat history.

Anyway, dumb and insignificant I know, certainly not a deal breaker, but the accumulated effect of these quirky little things has me ready to return it. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it and it will become the new normal.

Sorry for the hypocritical rant, many things I love about the phone, but just struggling with the skin.

Edit/add . . btw I have had the phone 2 days and the camera glass is all scratched to heck, and I baby my phones, only in and out,of a pocket with nothing in it, I swear it scratched trying to clean it with a microfiber cloth too . . I thought this was gorilla glass?

I wish I could take a picture of my camera lens. I DONT baby my phones. I take care of them. However, my G6 has found its way into a pocket full of keys and other things here and there at work. I have one scratch on the left side camera but it doesn't hinder my photo taking at all. I don't see how a micro fiber towel could do it..but anyway. If you're not into it, just return it. The G6 isn't for everyone. There are several other great manufacturers out there that make great phones.

As far as returning the phone, it's wear and tear, I doubt they'll give you trouble about it. But given your responses above, it seems you're trying to convince yourself to return it. Just do it and get something else. There's nothing wrong with that. You're still part of the Android Family.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
And btw, this phone is still on 7.0 and April 1 security update . . Haven't some folks said they are on 7.1.1? Am I off or is this a Verizon thing?

davey1101

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm coming from a Pixel, and aside from a few quirks I think the g6 is superior. I've been on stock android since the galaxy nexus (2010 yikes!) so it's refreshing to have an 'enhanced' version for a while. The unlock sound and animation is cool. The theme engine is as good as anything root would offer.

I love the screen to body ratio, and the 18/9 screen is brighter and clearer than my Pixel. Them huge Pixel bezels were getting on my nerves. The camera might be a bit slower but it makes up for it with the dual lenses. Btw cam lens pristine, but I had a case since inbox.

I just compared it side by side with my Nexus 6p and it's a good deal smaller. G6 is a keeper for me. (Until the pixel2 maybe lol)

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a Pixel, and aside from a few quirks I think the g6 is superior. I've been on stock android since the galaxy nexus (2010 yikes!) so it's refreshing to have an 'enhanced' version for a while. The unlock sound and animation is cool. The theme engine is as good as anything root would offer.

I love the screen to body ratio, and the 18/9 screen is brighter and clearer than my Pixel. Them huge Pixel bezels were getting on my nerves. The camera might be a bit slower but it makes up for it with the dual lenses. Btw cam lens pristine, but I had a case since inbox.

I just compared it side by side with my Nexus 6p and it's a good deal smaller. G6 is a keeper for me. (Until the pixel2 maybe lol)

I appreciate this input because even at this moment I am looking at exchanging it for a pixel XL, I realize that ymmv holds true here, but it's hard to beat a first-hand testimony.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate this input because even at this moment I am looking at exchanging it for a pixel XL, I realize that ymmv holds true here, but it's hard to beat a first-hand testimony.

I had a Pixel XL before this (with two bunked S8+ in between). The XL is a great phone. Fast updates, lighting fast camera, and stock Android.

The G6 is also a great phone. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. It's up to personal choice, really.

The only thing I don't miss about the XL is the giganto bezels. I also find stock Android kinda boring, but that's just me.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that is very helpful. I have installed my usual trio of Action, Nova, and Arrow launchers, so that's fine, but of course they don't change the settings menu, etc. Have had GSam in the past and should give that another go. And thanks for the tip on the camera glass, I have three scratches that crisscross right in front of the lens, what you shared is probably true but I'd hate to think I have to do that to a new device to make it 'right'.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if one of the things that's not doing it for me is the narrowness of the screen, I liked the idea of 5.7 inch screen in a smaller body, but because of the aspect ratio change I actually feel more "cramped" than I do on my 5.5 priv or turbo 2?

Been wondering if I would even be allowed to return it with scratches, won't they say I damaged it and have to keep it?
The phone is a 5.7 punch diag. measured phone, however because of the more narrow aspect ratio (18:9 vs 16:9) the actual square area of the screen is about the same as a 5.2 inch diag measured screen on a 16:9 aspect ratio phone. So you are correct is saying it feels more cramped than your 5.5 inch phone.
I'm not dissing the phone btw. S8 is the same way because of its aspect ratio.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
While the G6 screen is smaller than a 5.7 inch 16:9 screen it is considerably larger than a 5.2 inch 16:9 screen. In square inches the G6 is very similar to a 5.5 inch 16:9 screen.

http://m.androidcentral.com/189-world-we-need-new-way-quantify-screen-size
The phone is a 5.7 punch diag. measured phone, however because of the more narrow aspect ratio (18:9 vs 16:9) the actual square area of the screen is about the same as a 5.2 inch diag measured screen on a 16:9 aspect ratio phone. So you are correct is saying it feels more cramped than your 5.5 inch phone.
I'm not dissing the phone btw. S8 is the same way because of its aspect ratio.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The LG Skin is definitely something that some will like and others will not - it's a bit to get used to! I'm so sorry to hear about your camera lens!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I ended up loading up a more 'stock' like theme on my wife's G6... not that LG's new UI is bad, I actually think they've come a looooong way in a short amount of time. Their stuff KK and earlier was a nightmare, and L and M were buggy and laggy messes (at least on the G3 and G4). Their N UX is a lot cleaner, getting rid of the clownish color schemes and they've addressed a lot of the wonky transition screens and pop ups.

I'm a stock dude... always preferred the stock Android UI and probably always will. I have little patience with what OEMs do and find a lot of their junk to be... well... wheel-reinventing junk. While I was setting it up for her and getting it tweaked the way she wants, I did not find myself getting infuriated with their modifications... which, from my perspective, is a major win for LG. This is the first non-Google sourced phone that I've had in my hands in a long long time that made me considering getting off the Goog Train.

What I think people are running into here is platform maturation. It wasn't long ago that the next gen of phones came with all this new and cool stuff. They were much faster, did a lot more, did the old stuff better, etc. But that ship has sailed... next gen phones are not only little incremental updates from the previous. There's not a lot of sexy new stuff and the vast majority of improvements are back end bits that don't make headlines.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon rep said I have 30 days and suggested I take a good chunk of time to make sure I do or don't like it . . I will have to say that it's growing on me and perhaps just needed time to adjust. . . Thanks for listening, it may seem unnecessary but I process better 'verbally' but I have no one near me who is a tech nerd like me, so I need to do my 'verbal processing' here in the forums ;-)

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon rep said I have 30 days and suggested I take a good chunk of time to make sure I do or don't like it . . I will have to say that it's growing on me and perhaps just needed time to adjust. . . Thanks for listening, it may seem unnecessary but I process better 'verbally' but I have no one near me who is a tech nerd like me, so I need to do my 'verbal processing' here in the forums ;-)

Understood. This is my first LG device and I love it! I've heard stories of bootloops and such, but it seems as if we're not getting that with the G6.

My history of devices (newest to oldest) - S7 Edge, S6 Active, Moto XPE (2015), Moto X 2014, HTC One X+, HTC One X, HTC Inspire 4G, HTC EVO, Blackberry Bold, Blackberry Curve, Moto Razr, Samsung N400...I can't remember the rest.

My point is that the G6 is the best phone I've owned in terms of size, form factor and user experience. The size of this device feels natural and 18:9 makes total sense. (Someone said it before, this device feels like the child of a Pixel and iphone.)

I always roll with nova launcher and custom icon packs so my thoughts on UI are based on the menu colors and structure of the notification shade/menus.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
While the G6 screen is smaller than a 5.7 inch 16:9 screen it is considerably larger than a 5.2 inch 16:9 screen. In square inches the G6 is very similar to a 5.5 inch 16:9 screen.

http://m.androidcentral.com/189-world-we-need-new-way-quantify-screen-size
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...reen-aspect-ratio-mathematics-galaxy-s8-lg-g6

Not a lot larger than the 5.0 inch Pixel. Closer to a 5.2 maybe 5.3 inch 16.9 phone. However back to the OP original feelings, yes, the phones screen area feels more like one of your "smaller" phones.
Again, I'm not dissing the G6, the 2.1 aspect ratio is most likely the upcoming wave for a few years. We just need to understand that a given screen diag measurement on a 18.9 new phone is going to produce a smaller total screen area than the same screen diag measurement on a 16.9 aspect ratio phone. :p

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...reen-aspect-ratio-mathematics-galaxy-s8-lg-g6

Not a lot larger than the 5.0 inch Pixel. Closer to a 5.2 maybe 5.3 inch 16.9 phone. However back to the OP original feelings, yes, the phones screen area feels more like one of your "smaller" phones.
Again, I'm not dissing the G6, the 2.1 aspect ratio is most likely the upcoming wave for a few years. We just need to understand that a given screen diag measurement on a 18.9 new phone is going to produce a smaller total screen area than the same screen diag measurement on a 16.9 aspect ratio phone. :p
The G6 screen is the same width, or slightly wider, than the 5.2 inch screen on my HTC 10 and a good half inch taller. It is physically impossible for both screens to have the same total area. It is considerably larger than a 5.2 inch 16:9 screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yadde