LG G6: fingerprint scanner has stopped working and has disappeared from settings menu

A

AC Question

I received my new LG G6 last week. Overall I was very happy with it, however after set-up the fingerprint scanner stopped working and the "Fingerprint" option disappeared from the options screen. I tried a hard reset and rebooting in safe mode which did not work. Eventually the issue spontaneously resolved after turning it off and on a few times and it was fine for a week, however yesterday it displayed a msg saying it could not read the scanner and to reboot the phone if this persisted. After a reset once again the fingerprint option is missing from the setting menu.

I am aware this is probably a hardware issue, but I just thought I'd check to see if anyone had any other solutions before I go through the laborious process of sending the device back for replacement?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Please indicate where you purchased your device (LG directly? Best Buy? Carrier online? Amazon?) as this will allow others to chime in on the return/exchange process. No matter who you got the device from, it should be replaced with a new LG G6 and not sent away for repairs. It definitely should not cost you anything (including shipping).

Hardware failure is covered by the manufacturer. I can only speak on AT&T services, but when my S6 Active malfunctioned almost 2 years ago, I was out of the return period (14 days) but covered by a warranty exchange. What I did was contact the carrier and arranged for a replacement device to be sent. They sent the device first and I had 10 days to return the defective one. That's it. (Make sure there is no physical damage which could be used to justify a rejected claim.)

I haven't seen anyone post anything about the FPS malfunctioning. Mine has worked flawlessly since day one. It should be super quick. I only remember one time I got a misread because my finger was covered in that sticky cheese that forms from eating Cheetos.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to AC forums
I would return it for a replacement.
If you have a minute, please stop by our introductions subforum and tell about yourself

skyandcosmos

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi- I am the OP (I have now registered with this site as skyandcosmos).

I purchased the device from GiffGaff (a carrier in the UK). They have a 30 day return period and have agreed to replace the device (I am just sorting out logistics as it is a Bank Holiday weekend coming up here).

Both LG and GiffGaff are in agreement it is a hardware issue. It does appear I am the only one so far - I have been unable to find any other examples of this with the G6 online. It was super-quick for the week it worked, and I have been very happy with the phone other than this issue so I am going for a replacement as opposed to a refund.

I'll post again once I have been through the process and received the new device.

skyandcosmos

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi, just to say you were correct, GiffGaff replaced the device without issue and the new one is working smoothly. I cannot find any other examples of this happening so it may well be a one-off.

Other than this one issue the G6 seems to be an excellent phone-glad to have mine back.

Bilchu

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi, just to say you were correct, GiffGaff replaced the device without issue and the new one is working smoothly. I cannot find any other examples of this happening so it may well be a one-off.

Other than this one issue the G6 seems to be an excellent phone-glad to have mine back.

Hello,

I bought my LG G6 second hand knowing the rear panel was cracked.

I bought a "genuine" LG G6 back cover complete with FPS. Apparently these were taken off faulty LG G6. Successfully replaced the cover and the FPS was working fine. Unfortunately I threw away my old rear screen as this was shattered.

I put the phone on charge over night, woke in the morning to the same message saying "unable to use FPS, please restart" so I done as asked, bearing in mind this used to happen on my LG G5 with no problems once I restarted it.

After restarting the LG G6 i could not login with my fingerprint, went into setting and noticed the FPS option has disappeared from the menu, quite confused I tried just resetting the device and nothing. So you are not alone with this one?

DiLan Georgiev

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
Hello,

I bought my LG G6 second hand knowing the rear panel was cracked.

I bought a "genuine" LG G6 back cover complete with FPS. Apparently these were taken off faulty LG G6. Successfully replaced the cover and the FPS was working fine. Unfortunately I threw away my old rear screen as this was shattered.

I put the phone on charge over night, woke in the morning to the same message saying "unable to use FPS, please restart" so I done as asked, bearing in mind this used to happen on my LG G5 with no problems once I restarted it.

After restarting the LG G6 i could not login with my fingerprint, went into setting and noticed the FPS option has disappeared from the menu, quite confused I tried just resetting the device and nothing. So you are not alone with this one?

Same here ! I writed a post but nobody helped me if you find something please help

Bipsy

Aug 25, 2018
Visit site
I have the same issue and then i squeezed the back tighter along with finger scan and it worked. I am thinking that the new back panel is not attached properly.

Xinhbk

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
I had same problem with fingerprint of V10. Sometime, it works again although I don't know why!
I think that LG is very irresponsible. Many people encountered this problem but LG had no any explain and way to solve that.
Very very disapointed!

Aura1

Sep 13, 2018
Visit site
Don't forget about the: "Free Second Year Coverage with Registration*" - "We stand behind the quality of our premium devices. That’s why we offer free second-year limited warranty coverage on top of the manufacturer’s first-year limited warranty."

"Enjoy the same coverage of the first-year manufacturer’s warranty for an additional twelve months."

"Once your claim is approved, you'll receive your replacement phone within two business days after your original device shipment date. Shipping both ways is covered by LG."

"*No deductibles, no premiums, no shipping charges. Replacement device will be in new or refurbished condition. Terms and conditions apply. Registration required."

>> Just register your device within 90 days of purchase, at:
http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/warranty"

skidaddytn

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
All,

I discovered something related to this when changing my screen and battery last night. There is a 9 or 10 pin contact on the reverse side of the back glass panel that MUST connect with the circuit board for fingerprints to work.

If someone has changed your battery or screen, ask if they used new glue/tape when they put the back cover back on. There are 3 spots near the button that need NEW adhesive every time you disassemble. If the contacts don't connect, you will end up with the BUTTON working, but not fingerprints, and it will also disappear from the menu until you fix it. Once fixed, the menu will return AND your fingerprint will still be saved from before--no need to set it up again. You can also try a hardware reset by powering up while holding up and down volume for 10 seconds. It will show a barcode screen and you can press power to continue booting.