For those of you who had the S8s and got a G6, why?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who purchased either one of the Samsung Galaxy S8s and returned it for a G6, why did you make that move?

I currently have an S8+ and I'm within my 14-day return period. The thing I love about the G6 is that it's thermal resistant, salt fog resistant, water/dust resistant, and temperature extreme resistant. I work outside and those things are important to me, but I also love Samsung Pay.

What do you love about the G6 vs the S8s?

guitarmageddon

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
For those of you who purchased either one of the Samsung Galaxy S8s and returned it for a G6, why did you make that move?

I currently have an S8+ and I'm within my 14-day return period. The thing I love about the G6 is that it's thermal resistant, salt fog resistant, water/dust resistant, and temperature extreme resistant. I work outside and those things are important to me, but I also love Samsung Pay.

What do you love about the G6 vs the S8s?

See I just got the G6 and after fooling with some benchmarks and such pondered going back for the S8. Downside is that it adds 12 dollars per month to my bill beyond what the G6 cost. I lowered it by 10 bucks AND got more data recently so the net gain to me for the the G6 was 10 bucks on my bill. Not sure if the S8 can be justified. Compared to my Droid turbo, the G6 is the millennium falcon. Great phone.

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Simple: A large flat high-definition screen which easily and securely allows a tempered glass screen protector.
The S8 may be a notch better in a few different areas (camera,internal memory, screen resolution ) but if I can't protect my phone in the outside world what's the point?

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Simple: A large flat high-definition screen which easily and securely allows a tempered glass screen protector.
The S8 may be a notch better in a few different areas (camera,internal memory, screen resolution ) but if I can't protect my phone in the outside world what's the point?

I agree with this. I tried three different tempered glass screen protectors for my S8+ and they were all worthless. They were worthless because they only had adhesive on the edges and they would fall off the screen. They also make the screen have terrible touch responsiveness. The only screen protector I have now that is worth anything is a film Yootech case from Amazon that cost $8.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I've gone back and forth a few times. Started G6, loved it but got intrigued by the S8+. Got that and returned the G6 and after a week I hated the S8+ mainly because it was very uncomfortable and I couldn't protect the screen at all since there were no good protectors. I returned the S8+ for another G6 because it's so comfortable to hold and use. Battery life is excellent, no lag, has a great camera system and the thing just works.

Then Tuesday happened. I added an employee to our company T-Mobile plan and since his was a new line I grabbed the BOGO deal at T-Mobile and ended up with 2 S8's since that's what he wanted. So now I have both devices and to me the S8 is much more comfortable than the S8+ but still doesn't compare to the G6. I have some crazy new Whitestone tempered screen protector coming tomorrow that according to reviews is the perfect curved protector. Even with that though, the G6 will be my outdoor phone because it's so easy to keep protected and I really like the camera on it much more.

The S8 and S8+ are good phones but LG hit the mark with the design of the G6. Battery for me is almost identical between the G6 and S8 but the S8+ averaged about 1 1/2 hours more SOT than the G6.

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the S8+. Ok.. Two of them. I hated the curved screen, the lag, and the fact that BOTH displays were pink. I gave up on Samsung.

I'm loving the G6 though. No regrets.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the S8+. Ok.. Two of them. I hated the curved screen, the lag, and the fact that BOTH displays were pink. I gave up on Samsung.

I'm loving the G6 though. No regrets.

This. Add to this flat screen and a build that's more convenient for daily use (FPS Location) and more substantial in feel. Feels smoother and I've yet to really feel lag like I did with the S8+. Also the camera gives me better pictures on the G6.

Jazzamuffin

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I like the G6 so much better. Had a hard time with screen protectors with the s8 plus and was not impressed by the camera. Plus the screen was pinkish.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not an S8 owner, but I've got the S7 and several Samsungs before it. I would buy the G6 before the S8 because I HATE those edge displays, much rather have a flat screen. The wide angle camera is a nice plus as well.

Ian Bower

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Had 6 months with a s7 edge and spent a good time looking at a s8...so so glad that I went with the G6..I had the G4 for ages before the s7 and it felt like coming home when I switched on the G6

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Just got the funniest call from the guy I added to our company plan. He doesn't like the S8 and asked if I would be upset if he sold it and bought a G6. What he didn't know was I had already boxed my S8 up and put it in the closet because I kept grabbing my G6. Both S8's are going back which kind of stinks because I was going to use T-Mobile digits in the S8 and leave it in my car for Android auto. Now I gotta find something else to use as a dedicated Android Auto phone.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
After having both phones in hand the G6 just feels better, a lot more solid. Noticed no measurable difference in performance or quality of pictures. At current pricing G6 is a steal.

Bryant Laney

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I've got a S8+ and a G6 and I like them both about equally in different ways I wish the battery was bigger in the G6 I can't hardly make it through the day on a single charge

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've got a S8+ and a G6 and I like them both about equally in different ways I wish the battery was bigger in the G6 I can't hardly make it through the day on a single charge

Charging it because it's on zero or because it's below 35-40%? I can make it a whole day easy but I always throw on the charger when I get home because I'm paranoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith