Gaming...will tegra 3 games play well? or better?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey so with the new Nexus having the Qualcomm S4 quad core processor and not the tegra 3, will this device be incompatible with tegra games (my gut feeling/common sense tells me yes because its not made by Nvidia). If so then will games just look ok on this device or will developers be forced to make games optimized for this chip so that we get the best possible graphics? Sorry if my questions seem dumb but I am just looking for an answer and figured this was the best way to get it. Thank you in advance!

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Get feature list and compire, games are coded based on features, if something is missing it simple won't be used or be software emulated. Most impotent are shader model version since it's not emulabale, but the higher the version the better effect set = better graphics.

As for compatibility as long games uses OpenGL there should not be any problems, but i know there some compatibility twists on NDK... but on Java apps it should be ok :)

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Get feature list and compire, games are coded based on features, if something is missing it simple won't be used or be software emulated. Most impotent are shader model version since it's not emulabale, but the higher the version the better effect set = better graphics.

As for compatibility as long games uses OpenGL there should not be any problems, but i know there some compatibility twists on NDK... but on Java apps it should be ok :)

Thanks! So basically we will get the Tegra 3 games, but the ports that we already get on the Gnex and S3, and pretty much any and all other non tegra 3 devices. I dont know if I like that. I just want all games to play as beautifully as possible ESPECIALLY on a new device.
Thanks again though!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! So basically we will get the Tegra 3 games, but the ports that we already get on the Gnex and S3, and pretty much any and all other non tegra 3 devices. I dont know if I like that. I just want all games to play as beautifully as possible ESPECIALLY on a new device.
Thanks again though!

This is correct. You will get the "generic" version of the game, since the Tegra version is coded specifically for Tegra.

Qualcomm released the PDK to help get games and apps coded specifically for their chips, but I haven't heard of any developers taking advantage of it. The hardware is great, but they need to get some great games and apps to take advantage of it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This is correct. You will get the "generic" version of the game, since the Tegra version is coded specifically for Tegra.

Qualcomm released the PDK to help get games and apps coded specifically for their chips, but I haven't heard of any developers taking advantage of it. The hardware is great, but they need to get some great games and apps to take advantage of it.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

I see. Well I just want a phone that will play games to the best of their abilities and it seems that not only requires top hardware but top developmental support as well. And since the next nexus won't be Tegra 3, it will more than likely play great games but not as great as hardware that has NVidia behind it. Kind of wish this wasn't so but hey what can I do :-/

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I see. Well I just want a phone that will play games to the best of their abilities and it seems that not only requires top hardware but top developmental support as well. And since the next nexus won't be Tegra 3, it will more than likely play great games but not as great as hardware that has NVidia behind it. Kind of wish this wasn't so but hey what can I do :-/

Well you COULD wait for the new Tegra chip that's supposed to be hitting devices early next year. :p It won't be in the Nexus, though, obviously. The worst part is that the Snapdragon S4 Pro is SOOOO much faster than the Tegra 3 at everything, but nVidia makes sure they have top notch software (well, Tegrazone stuff anyway) to leverage it. Qualcomm really did bring their A game to the fight with the S4.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well you COULD wait for the new Tegra chip that's supposed to be hitting devices early next year. :p It won't be in the Nexus, though, obviously. The worst part is that the Snapdragon S4 Pro is SOOOO much faster than the Tegra 3 at everything, but nVidia makes sure they have top notch software (well, Tegrazone stuff anyway) to leverage it. Qualcomm really did bring their A game to the fight with the S4.

lol thanks but yeah I just want a pure Android experience straight from google. I dont want to purchase another phone with a skin/UI (unless its the Note 2 lol) but even still with the note 2, its not tegra based so I still lose lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781