LG Optimus VM696 Upgrade questions.
11-26-2012 10:26 PM
- Hi all I'm thinking about upgrading to this phone as a christmass present to myself. I am uprgrading from a LG Optimus VM670.
I did my research and was wondering if anyone out there has done this upgrade and would be willing to recommend the upgrade.
The Elite has better slighty bigger screen 3.5 hvga with the corning glass screen protection vs 3.2.
The Elite has gingerbread vs froyo.
Bluetooth 3.0 vs 2.1
5.0 megapixel camera with flash vs 3.2 without a flash on the VM670
They both have a 800 megahertz processor but the 670 has the snapdragon cpu that is really fast. The Elite has more built in interal memory at a 1gigabyte but I will still have to root and re-partition my sd card so I won't run out of room on the Elite.
The elite has Quick Memo not sure what it is and if I will use it.
Also I wanna know if the same battery will fit the elite from the vm670 cuz I bought 4 batteries for my VM670.
I would be getting the phone for 50$ brand knew so I think it would be a good cheap upgrade even if I have to buy some batteries and if its a little slower without the snap dragon cpu. Gingerbread , 5.0 megapixel with the flash is nice but I usually don't take to many pictures, I do use bluetooth but I really like the bigger screen with the screen protection. Although it would kind suck if its slower without the snap dragon cpu because with the smaller screens I usually do alot of zooming in and out and it my phone is fast for stuff like that.
I could always keep my VM670 as a backup too. Thank You
Jason11-10-2012 02:08 PM
- The Elite is a very nice phone with the exception that some people have data issues, myself included.
To cover some of your questions...
1. Both phones have TFT screens at a 320 X 480 resolution. As you stated the OV is 3.2" v the Elite at 3.5". I have never seen anything definitive that the Elite has Gorilla Glass.
2. OV = Froyo 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 v Elite = Gingerbread 2.3.7
3. The camera on the Elite takes some very good pictures and the flash is quite nice. OV = 3.2mp v Elite = 5mp
4. OV = 600mhz Snapdragon Proc v Elite = 1ghz Snapdragon 2 Proc even though it's advertised as 800mhz
The OV can sometimes be overclocked to 800ish mhz
The Elite can be overclocked to 1.6ghz
The Elite is much much quicker
5. The Elite does have quite a a bit more storage than the OV. The Elite has 1gb system with a 2gb internal sd for 3gb total storage. As of now there you can't move apps to the external sd on the Elite and it doesn't yet support sdext partitions for app 2 sd programs. The OV had something like 125mb storage but you could move apps to external sd or use sdext partition
6. Quickmemo is a built in snapshot app
7. The batteries are not the same
The Elite also adds NFC capabilities
The Elite is a nice running phone and a good step up from the OV. Like I said above some people have data issues while others don't. If you get it hang on to your reciept just in case. I ended up switching to the One V as my data issues were quite bad. That would be another phone I'd recommend if you can find on sale anywhere.
As far as rooting is is pretty simple if you go with the poot method to root with on phone app. The recovery isn't difficult but a bit more involved to install. as far as roms there are a few out based on stock but as of yet no cyanogenmod roms
Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 211-11-2012 09:33 AM
- Here's the specs for both phones from LG.
LG Optimus Elitehttp://http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-VM696-optimus-elite
LG Optimus VM670LG Optimus V VM670: Android Smartphone with Virtual QWERTY keyboard | LG USA
The reason I am interested is because the Elite is 50 bucks on Bestbuy.
If you look at "Touch Screen" is says 3.5" Capacitive Touch Screen, Corning with Gorilla Glass Screen Protector.
I have already rooted my Optimus V with gingerbreak and Super User. I have set another partition that I move everything over with links 2sd and I have the apps2sd too.
The data concerns me a bit I have a 32Gig External Card that I use and if the data issues that would suck. I have alot of data on my phone with the apps being constanly updated I don't think the 2 Gig internal would be enough. I would have to buy 2 or 3 more batteries witch would cost more money there usually cheap enough but the I would rather use the ones from my OV. Not sure NFC I would use that often but it is a amazing new technology to share stuff between mobile phones and it seems that will be common future trend down the line.
Would u recommend I upgrade to Gingerbread OS from my Froyo 2.2.2?? Also I wouldn't mind overclocking my phone to 800 megahertz.
You stated the One V is a better phone??? You mean the HTC One V??? That seems like a amazing phone. Although at that price range for 150 I do like the HTC Evo V on sale . Thanks for the recommend though I will keep an eye out for a good sale on the HTC One because the Evo V is a 300$ phone.
Thanks for your expertise and help!!! All I have to know now is there return policy so If I don't like the data issues I will return it. Its a ok step up for 50 but I think I 'm better off waiting on the HTC One V phone for 150 or the htc evo V catching a good sale
Also I don't see NFC anywhere for the spec on the Elite? Is that included with Gingerbread??? Also I didn't see NFC on HTC One V is that part of android 4.0 or with the HTC Sense???
Thanks11-11-2012 12:14 PM
- Hmm ok it must have a thin screen protector instead of the entire glass made of Gorilla Glass. I do know the screen hadn't gotten any scratches on it yet and i usually scratch em pretty good.
NFC is hardware based. It is in the Elite because I used to use the Google Wallet feature. The HTC One V doesn't have NFC
Hey if you can return it give it a try. if the data sucks for you or it doesn't do what you want take it back and exchange it. The only issue I may see for you is if you have more apps than will fit in the 3gb available in the phone. You can store music pics and other media on the sdcard but as of now no apps
Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 211-11-2012 01:46 PM
- I bought the SetCPU App for 1.99. My next thing is to overclock the cpu and mess around with that I guess I have to play around with the kernel and I have bookmarked a guide. I not sure if the gingerbread update is worth it or help improve it.
Is Titanium Backup a good app for backing up?? I have the free version. I m using this guide for the overclocking part
[Reference Guide] Optimus V Modding (READ THIS TO GET STARTED)
I just don't wanna deal with the hassle of ever running out of space with the apps I use and constantly updating. With all the messaging. Maybe in 6 months that will change on here when someone figures out how to move it to external storage. Seem like a good phone and nice upgrade I will give it a shot though. NFC is very cool. I see your using tapatalk , will that allow me to post from my OV phone cuz I wasn't sure. If it works Its worth the 5$.11-11-2012 02:59 PM
- I love Tapatalk. I use it on my personal phone (HTC One V), work phone (LG Viper 4G) and tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab2). I am a member of 6 forums and I have them all on Tapatalk and it works great. Well worth it. Keep an eye on the Elite Forums both here and at AndroidForums and keep an eye out for updates. I'm sure someone will eventually tackle the sdext issue. They are working on CM7 over at AF so once that is released sdext should work.
Titanium Backup is a good app to backup apps. I don't own it but everyone says the paid version is the way to go.
Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 211-11-2012 03:42 PM
- I have virgin mobile not on any contract carrier so I have to pay full price for a phone not sure if I can get that deal under virgin mobile. That would be a awesome deal for the galaxy s2. I 'm test driving the LG Optimus Elite now so far I like it and getting use to it. I have to figure out how to move over all my contacts, emails, bookmarks and google maps favorites and all my apps because I have a few paid apps I'd like to keep. Anyone know whats the best backup app??They say Titanium Backup is good but I haven't rooted my Elite yet so I just wanna transfer all my saves ,contacts, and bought apps. I have a previous LG Optimus V that I rooted with super user and gingerbreak and I use links2sd to move all the internal system apps to sd. I'd don't want to root unless I am forced too because of apps.11-25-2012 10:52 PM
- Virginmobileusa.com site got the HTC One V for 50$ I already bought it and gonna use that to replace my optimus V. I bought the Optimus Elite and it seems good but for the same price I will get the HTC One V. Bigger screen 3.7 vs 3.5 android 4.0 Beats Audio and better camcorder abilities. Also it probably supports extended partitions. Also the One V is thinner. The only thing the Optimus elite is got going for it is NFC and more 512 internal memory and Google quick memo but I 'll upgrade to a better phone next year that will have that. Good deal and happy plus I avoid the data concerns. Thanks All Happy Holidays11-26-2012 10:26 PM
- LG Android Phones
- More LG Phones
- LG Optimus Series
- LG Optimus Elite
LG Optimus VM696 Upgrade questions.
- By mach30 in forum LG Optimus S AccessoriesReplies: 16Last Post: 04-11-2014, 06:52 PM
- By Estylo in forum G2X Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 7Last Post: 04-22-2012, 10:16 AM
- By larrytxeast in forum Virgin Mobile Optimus VReplies: 12Last Post: 07-04-2011, 12:41 AM
- By HappyMonkey in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
- By Jerry Hildenbrand in forum Misc. Android PhonesReplies: 0Last Post: 11-02-2010, 02:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD