Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Arg - LG Phones are not compatible with Square credit card readers

So, I volunteer at a private organization and just found out one big bummer with the Optimus G pro - the Square credit card reader does not work with this phone!

It turns out that almost all LG phones are not - I wonder why they are not using a traditional headphone jack setup compared to all of the major manufacturers? Anyone know the differences? This kind of shuts out many small/independent business people who rely on these credit card readers to perform transactions :/

I can manually enter sales, but that causes our rate to go from 2.7% to 3.5% + $.15 for every transaction (processing companies charge more for manually input transactions due to the higher risk associated with these types of sales).

Global Posts
    5,165 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

Default Re: Arg - LG Phones are not compatible with Square credit card readers

Wow, what an odd thing for LG to do. Makes no sense to me.

https://squareup.com/help/en-us/arti...quare-register

Looks like lots of devices don't.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon

My LG Optimus G doesn't work with Paypal Here reader, either. Works fine with my Note 2. Must be an LG headphone jack thing.

Thats weird because i have the lg optimus g on sprint and it works with paypal here you just have to make sure your completely closed out of the regular paypal app

Eureka! Don't get discouraged yet LG users. My LG Optimus L9 works with the reader like a dream!

"Not to mention...the Optimus L9 is an uber awesome phone!"

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

I'm not sure what's going on but Square works fine with my G Pro and before the Pro its worked fine with my LG optimus G.

(So I'm told) if your reader has black stripes on the input jack, it's a problem with many phones... Contact Paypal and ask them to send one with white stripes. (Not sure what's different about it, other than the color - I assume the order of the wiring or some attenuation or something.) Anyway - they have designed a new reader for those "problem" phones.