G Pro Data Usage

stevefxp

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I have had my G Pro a total of 13 days and have used 1.2 gig of data according to AT&T. I use Wifi wherever I can, and have set Google Play to only download updates over Wifi. I think 1.2 gig of data in 13 days is alot, especially when I am not streaming music.

Is it possible that my data connection is persisting even if Wifi is up and operational? Anyone seeing unusually high data usage on their G Pro's too?

Steve

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
i don't think there's anything wrong with the indicator, its just LTE....

When i had AT&T their Data calculator said i would need 4GB to stream 120 hours a month of my Sirius XM radio streaming at approx 50MB an hour. Turned out after 4 minutes, it had used 13 MB, a rate of almost 200MB an hour and at that rate i would have used 25-30 GB a month, not 4GB. I called Sirius and they told me that AT&T's LTE network has a zero compression limit or something to that effect and bottom line was (when i called AT&T that their data calculator as set to estimate 3G speeds which everyone AND Google says the higer speeds DO NOT use more data but my real world data usage testing proved SIGNIFICANTLY to the contrary so i paid for the balance of the phone and moved it to T-Mobile where i am now getting 4-6 mbps at any given time (they refarmed in my area, i called FIRST : ) unlimited unthrottled data for 70 bucks a mo : )

2013-05-17-17-51-43_zpsbdeee3e3.jpg

BTC

Last edited:

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Download my data manager from the app store and it will yell u what program is using data. Very useful. Other than the data issue. How do u like the g pro?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Texas Chick,
How hard was it to get AT&T to unlock the phone for you?

It was 30 minutes "hard"... Worth every second of it to me : )

Here is a post i answered for someone else:

Keep in mind, I had to pay full price for my LG O Pro.. Here's how it went:

First i paid the $199.00 ordered online for the phone, after i got it on the 2nd day of trial, i called T--mobile to make sure they had refarmed their 3G spectrum in my area, once they assured me they had when i gave them my zip codes of work AND home, i called AT&Tand asked how i could just keep the phone and cancel contract and after a half hour on hold (i'd of stayed on the line for HOURS to accomplish this...lol) she got "Activations" on the line, they cancelled my line, billed me the 325 (plus taxes and 2 days worth of service- making my total around 583.00, but she had assured me i would have the unlock code BEFORE we hung up which was true : ) so now (its been almost 2 weeks, all is good, never a dropped call or communication error and i use the phone all day long to stream Sirius Radio....

I received a bill for 383.00 last week, paid it, and just to be sure i called yesterday and she says account shows closed with a zero balance.

2013-05-30-10-01-41-2_zpsfc334354.jpg

the lower speeds are at my desk inside metal building. at my house i generally pull in the 4's and 5's... Bear in mind my bill is 110.00+ taxes for THREE phone lines (unlimited data on main line, 2 other lines with unl talk/text and 500MB high speed and throttled after that. (Never an overage worry) (But the 2nd is just my "ice" line, and the 3rd is my hubby's who has a company phone, so he rarely needs data. After feeling ripped off by carriers for YEARS, this feels pretty amazing : )

BTC

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Download my data manager from the app store and it will yell u what program is using data. Very useful. Other than the data issue. How do u like the g pro?

Actually, in every Android version since Ice Cream Sandwich, that functionality is built into the OS (though some third party apps might have prettier reporting or may be desirable for other reasons). Just go into settings, usage. It may not be 100% accurate, but it'll give you some idea of what are your hungry, hungry data hippos.

May 29, 2013
Visit site
@Texas Chick, Thanks for the reply. I bought the phone from a corporate ATT store and paid full non-contract price because I use prepaid service. ATT told me they could "theoretically" unlock a phone if they had the codes from the manufacturer. Good to hear they actually can and did do it for you. With the very old, grandfathered plan I have and my own limited usage patterns (keeping in mind I'm retired), I've been using less than $20 a month for 20-40 voice minutes and limited data--about 50MB a month, give or take. T-Mo is still on Edge here and will be for a while. I considered switching to a MVNO that uses ATT's network, but my unbeatable rate plan and the fact that ATT opened their 4G data to Go Phone subscribers last week helped with my decision to stick with ATT for now. I'll re-evaluate down the road when T-Mo upgrades in this area or if my data use (and cost) increases with 4G on ATT.

@stevefxp, "Is it possible that my data connection is persisting even if Wifi is up and operational?"
I only have 1 wi-fi router in my home and sometimes in the back part of the house the coverage is a bit sketchy. I noticed last night that when my wi-fi connection faded out, the phone switched to 4G automatically, unless I disable data in the settings. It was good that I saw the phone doing this because I might have ended up with a surprise bill for data when I exceeded my allotment. Could this be what is happening to you?

Last edited:

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually, in every Android version since Ice Cream Sandwich, that functionality is built into the OS (though some third party apps might have prettier reporting or may be desirable for other reasons). Just go into settings, usage. It may not be 100% accurate, but it'll give you some idea of what are your hungry, hungry data hippos.

Yes true but it does not report what used WiFi or mobile data

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes true but it does not report what used WiFi or mobile data

Actually, from the usage tracking screen you can hit MENU, USAGE SETTINGS, and check the "Show Wi-Fi" usage. When you go back, you'll see "Mobile" and "Wi-Fi" tabs, and you can toggle back and forth between Mobile and Wi-Fi data and what apps use the most of each.

(disclaimer: This is an HTC Thunderbolt running an older version of Sense on ICS - it may have changed since then but I know it does the same thing on my Nexus 7 and my wife's Galaxy S2 both on stock ICS and rooted JellyBean, though the menus differ a bit).

I'm not trying to poo-poo the additional value that third-party tools might bring, but the native OS may be tracking enough for a lot of people that the overhead of a third-party tracker might not be necessary.

stevefxp

May 17, 2013
Visit site
@Texas Chick, Thanks for the reply. I bought the phone from a corporate ATT store and paid full non-contract price because I use prepaid service. ATT told me they could "theoretically" unlock a phone if they had the codes from the manufacturer. Good to hear they actually can and did do it for you. With the very old, grandfathered plan I have and my own limited usage patterns (keeping in mind I'm retired), I've been using less than $20 a month for 20-40 voice minutes and limited data--about 50MB a month, give or take. T-Mo is still on Edge here and will be for a while. I considered switching to a MVNO that uses ATT's network, but my unbeatable rate plan and the fact that ATT opened their 4G data to Go Phone subscribers last week helped with my decision to stick with ATT for now. I'll re-evaluate down the road when T-Mo upgrades in this area or if my data use (and cost) increases with 4G on ATT.

@stevefxp, "Is it possible that my data connection is persisting even if Wifi is up and operational?"
I only have 1 wi-fi router in my home and sometimes in the back part of the house the coverage is a bit sketchy. I noticed last night that when my wi-fi connection faded out, the phone switched to 4G automatically, unless I disable data in the settings. It was good that I saw the phone doing this because I might have ended up with a surprise bill for data when I exceeded my allotment. Could this be what is happening to you?

I think this is exactly what is happening to me. I just cannot believe I have now used 1.3 gig of data in 16+ days. That seems excessive to me when both my wife and I were using less than 2 gig on our Verizon share plan.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar