WiFi location?

When in an area without GPS signal (eg. indoors), can your OGP use WiFi-based geolocation?

• Total voters

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
**** EDIT **** Solution found

If you are experiencing the same problem (you have Mobile/WiFi location on but it's not working), turn it OFF and then to into Maps, whereupon Maps will complain that it could do its job better if Mobile/WiFi was on. When it takes you to the exact same screen as you've been trying to turn it on all along, it should now work.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I've been a programmer for 25 years and I think I understand how to check a checkbox, so I'm pretty darned sure I was doing it like I was supposed to. LOL

The last remaining issue - solved.

My apologies if this is a duplication, but I brought this up in another thread and got a couple of replies, and wanted to see if this was a widespread (if minor!) issue or if it's just a few handsets.

If you go indoors where there is no GPS signal, but you have a good solid WiFi signal, are you able to geolocate using Google Maps or the like?

To test:

- Go indoors or somewhere GPS does not work, but somewhere there is a good WiFi signal.
- Start Google Maps
- Press the "Locate Me" button.
- If you get a message "Location temporarily unavailable", then the answer is no.

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I know it's supposed to, but it doesn't.

Except now it does. Son of a biscuit, now I look foolish! But I know I was doing it right.

OK, so here's what I did.

First (all weekend), I've been going into geolocation options and specifically turning OFF and back ON "Wi-Fi & mobile network location". in the hopes that I could get the "ON" setting to "stick". And the checkbox remained checked, but geolocation stubbornly refused to work.

Here's the kicker. I just now went in and unchecked it (thinking maybe a developer got the toggle reversed). I went into Maps and got a message that I'd get better results if I turned WiFi/Cell location on. Fair enough, that's what I've been bloody trying to do for days now to no avail, but I'll try it. Turned it on and went back into maps, and lo and behold (angels and trumpets) I have WiFi geolocation.

So it will do it, but you have to make the phone think it was his idea to turn it on, apparently.