Too easy to accidentally call 911 from lock screen

iamirishanny

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
911 called me today! Evidently while my phone was in my pocket it dialed 911 at least a dozen times. I am concerned that I will get into legal trouble. How do we turn off this feature?

rjmxtech

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
911 called me today! Evidently while my phone was in my pocket it dialed 911 at least a dozen times. I am concerned that I will get into legal trouble. How do we turn off this feature?

I'm running a custom ROM....and the funny thing is it never dials 911 it just pops up the dialpad

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

mafiqali

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I got a call back form emergency. same problem. My phone was in pocket and it got a press somehow.
Now instaled lockmaster and fixed it. lockmaster screen dont have the press and hold option.

playfullez

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I am also trying to fix this issue for my friend. She is using an AT&T prepaid phone (ZTE Avail 2) and she can't add a PIN or pattern because she has young kids that she wants to be able to access her phone in case of emergency, but of course calling 911 once or twice a week is not an option either. Anyone know how to set it to the "swipe screen" method, cuz i can't find it.

c2oncpr

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes. This has been an issue at least since 2009, probably earlier. I understand the need for an accessible emergency call feature from non-locked access, but I don't understand why it can't be designed to prevent easy unintentional dialing. Some sort of swipe locker is the only real solution. Unlocking the phone, imo, is no solution for most people, not for my personal device. For a kid's phone, maybe. But not a solution for all. I've tried one on my son's phone, sorry don't recall the name right now. It didn't seem to work like I would expect, but there may have been settings I didn't try. Getting my son to relinquish his phone for 5 minutes was a battle, so I didn't put in much effort. Just told him to remove the lock. But I think he's re-locked his phone, so I'm gonna have to try again.

My device running 4.0.3 was delivered with a swipe lock that forces a long swipe everytime the phone wakes. After the swipe, the lock screen with the "easy dial" emergency button appears. This solution would work great on my son's phone to prevent accidental emergency calls while the phone is in his pocket when a text arrives, since the text causes the phone to wake and the emergency button is right there.

Can anyone recommend a good swipe locker for android 4.2.1?

Danazuk

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes. This has been an issue at least since 2009, probably earlier. I understand the need for an accessible emergency call feature from non-locked access, but I don't understand why it can't be designed to prevent easy unintentional dialing. Some sort of swipe locker is the only real solution. Unlocking the phone, imo, is no solution for most people, not for my personal device. For a kid's phone, maybe. But not a solution for all. I've tried one on my son's phone, sorry don't recall the name right now. It didn't seem to work like I would expect, but there may have been settings I didn't try. Getting my son to relinquish his phone for 5 minutes was a battle, so I didn't put in much effort. Just told him to remove the lock. But I think he's re-locked his phone, so I'm gonna have to try again.

My device running 4.0.3 was delivered with a swipe lock that forces a long swipe everytime the phone wakes. After the swipe, the lock screen with the "easy dial" emergency button appears. This solution would work great on my son's phone to prevent accidental emergency calls while the phone is in his pocket when a text arrives, since the text causes the phone to wake and the emergency button is right there.

Can anyone recommend a good swipe locker for android 4.2.1?

Galaxy locker works great no more 911 calls

Last edited by a moderator:

jvdgolf

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to pain in the a$$ government regulations, the phones are required to have the 911 dialer on the lock screen. I will be returning my S5 sport to Sprint tomorrow. 5 - 911 calls in 30 minutes is BS. Alternative is randomly calling, texting and ??? from my phone while in my pocket.:-$

Mike Miller21

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
This is super annoying! If the Government requires emergency dial on the lock-screen, then they should at least make it as difficult as dialing 9-1-1, not less difficult!!!

amygraves07

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I need help to. I do not even have a lock on my lg g3. it is the back to buttons that are calling. I don't get two choices. it calls that second. I'm about to be charged. They came to my school today and took my phone and took it to the police station. They go "I don't think you are doing this on purpose but I need to take it with me and you and you're parents can come pick it up and talk to me about what we are going to do..." I need something. This is the 3rd time...

Lindanoel1213

Mar 26, 2017
Visit site
Ok,. I know this is years later, but tonight the cos showed up on two very different occasions, lol... There not happy even though I have explained time n time again it was accidentally called in my pocket! I, too have an LG and this has gotta be the 10th time they've been here, ugh!!!

csglinux

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm having this issue with my V30. The problem is, even with the Knock-on feature off, the screen on this phone activates when a call, message or other notification comes in. The touchscreen on the V30 is sensitive enough that it works through a layer of fabric. If my phone is in my pocket and the screen turns on while I'm walking, jogging, running, the swipe up (or down) function works perfectly to take you to the emergency call button (this is the biggest design flaw - a side-to-side swipe is really needed here, IMHO). From there, any further inadvertent screen presses act to keep the screen alive until it eventually calls 911 or 112. I've done this now multiple times per day. The good news is, the cops have stopped calling me back. The bad news is, I've cried wolf so many times now, I doubt they'd respond if I had a real need to dial 911 :-( Is there any solution to this, other than rooting?