Too easy to accidentally call 911 from lock screen

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This is a small issue that I am having. I use a pin lock on my lock screen and the Emergency Dialer is RIGHT above the home button (which I usually press in order to turn the screen back on when idle). Sometimes, apparently, my finger is getting too close to Emergency Dialer and guess who I'm calling? Lol.

Anyone else? Any solutions?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Android Central Forums

May 29, 2013
Visit site
This is a small issue that I am having. I use a pin lock on my lock screen and the Emergency Dialer is RIGHT above the home button (which I usually press in order to turn the screen back on when idle). Sometimes, apparently, my finger is getting too close to Emergency Dialer and guess who I'm calling? Lol.

I use a lock PIN too and I have never had this happen. On my phone, the red cross emergency dial emblem is beneath the unlock PIN keypad and you have to press and hold it for about 1 second to even activate it. Then it doesn't even launch the actual dialer, but gives 2 choices which ICE contact to use (911 or 112) and that requires another press. So I'm not sure why you are having the issue.

67srbell

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I use a lock PIN too and I have never had this happen. On my phone, the red cross emergency dial emblem is beneath the unlock PIN keypad and you have to press and hold it for about 1 second to even activate it. Then it doesn't even launch the actual dialer, but gives 2 choices which ICE contact to use (911 or 112) and that requires another press. So I'm not sure why you are having the issue.

I know, but with the over sensitive screen, I find myself accidentally hitting that Emergency Dialer when attempting to hit the Home Key sometimes. For example, when pulling the device out of my pocket and trying to light up the screen in order to see if there are any messages, the Emergency Dialer gets pressed by accident. Not a huge issue, but it happens and definitely don't want to have to explain this to 911.

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

I found Magic Locker to get rid of the Emergency call button on lock screen. its FREE and NO ROOT required :)

bkatusich

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
so I now have the app magiclocker but how do I use it to remove the emergency button from home screen? I'm this close to having the state police press charges (not kidding)!!! panic mode here!! no decent instructions online. trying to help my daughter whose phone it is... thanks

amateur_android_user

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

I was having the same problems when in first got this phone. It was in my front pocket when I was at work one day and I guess whenever I would lean over my thigh would dial the emergency contact. It happened twice in one day! The very next day I had the sheriff's dept calling my phone back! The easiest thing I did to resolve the issue was nor put it on the lock screen anymore, just use the regular swipe screen. And it hasn't happened anymore ever since. Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

dachiefmizzy

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing and called 112, good thing the phone did not connect. My solution is to use Google's device manager. You can remotely track, lock with a pin, or wipe your phone. Go to google.com/android/devicemanager
this works great, make sure you follow the instructions though.

bethkraemerky

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Just activate MagicLocker and set it up with a PIN. You'll see MagicLocker when unlocking your phone rather than the default, and it's home doesn't have the emergency dialer. I had to also disable the PIN I had already set up on the phone - didn't want to have to enter a code twice! I had accidentally called 911 twice, and almost did it a 3rd time (disconnected before they answered) within 2 weeks of having this phone. This is a definite design flaw, but MagicLocker fixed it!

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this is a massively sh*tty design flaw of both Android and its stock text messaging program.

Initially, I did not notice the problem being discussed here. But then it eventually started happening to me as well. What I discovered was that everytime I would get a text message, it would "wake" the screen. If I answered the text immediately, there was no problem. But if the text came and I couldn't get it right away, then it left the screen wakened, rubbing on my pocket, which would then somehow dial the Emergency Services.

No other way to say it: JUST PLAIN SH*TTY DESIGN. Either google, LG, or AT&T should take note and make appropriate fixes.

I found 2 possible solutions:

(1) Try a different text messaging app than the stock one--one that offers the option NOT to wake screen on incoming text. I tried another text app, which did solve the problem, but I did not like the interface, so I reverted back to the stock text app. No real reason to use a different text app, IMO. Simply, the option not to wake screen on incoming needs to be added to the stock messaging app and all will be well.

(2) Download and install Holo locker. I have mine set so that I have left the stock OS lock screen PIN enabled, but Holo locker is now an extra layer on top of it. When the screen wakes, it requires an actual swipe to get through to the lock screen. I've been running this setup a few months now and friction from my pocket has not yet been enough to swipe past the Holo locker screen to activate the emergency dialer again (thankfully). This workaround is acceptable for now, but a bona fide solution from the powers-that-be is really what is necessary. As a friend says, "You shouldn't have to hack your devices to get them to do what they're supposed to do in the first place."

IIY

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I too have a problem with this phone dialing 911 & today 2 other numbers i have in my contacts, while in my pocket! I like that you can call 911 from a locked screen, i checked if i could accidentally dial 911 & i don't see how! Will not be buying this phone again! Besides the camera is not as great as on the Samsung S3. Any one else with similar problems?

Douglas Cohn

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue with Galaxy S3. A friends daughter was able to get right to the emergency dialer. 4,3 update changed the way it exposes the emergency dialer link. Just like it was stated a message comes in and that brings the phone to the pin screen

I too have a problem with this phone dialing 911 & today 2 other numbers i have in my contacts, while in my pocket! I like that you can call 911 from a locked screen, i checked if i could accidentally dial 911 & i don't see how! Will not be buying this phone again! Besides the camera is not as great as on the Samsung S3. Any one else with similar problems?

FREESNOWNEARU

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Optimus g pro. I've called 911 twice using the pin lock from my pocket. There no solution besides to download a lock screen app... wp7 has some nice ones as well as widgetlocker

Michael Fodor

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
:mad:
This is NOT a 'small' problem!!!!
In denver if that emegency call is activated and no matter how fast you hang up, POLICE 911 Dials you right back. And if u don't answer...they send TWO cops to your GPS location or address.
Happend to me me 5 times since I got this crap samsung, and the cops are pissed.
If I get arrested I WILL SUE Samsung and cricket and anyone else I can.
How f-ink lame.

All of your posts have been very helpful.
I will try some of the 'screenlocker' apps.

(does anyone have a recommendation for the best one?)

Because if the cops have to call me or...omg COME TO MY HOUSE...
WITH THEIR HANDS ON THEIR PISTOLS....

I will destroy this phone with a sledgehammer, never buy another samsung product, and if I get arrested for 'Placing False 911 calls'
Then SAMSUNG is gonna pay all of it.
Including damages.
(I dislike being in handcuffs)

Can someone help more that the help that has already been given?

Thank you all for the great forum.
(we really are victims of technology,,,but tll that to the JUDGE in COURT...see how far u get.

All my best everyone.
mdf

MarkB36

May 12, 2014
Visit site
yeah this sucks. just had two sheriffs hike 1.5 miles up my road in a blizzard. i triple tapped the home button in my pocket......thanks samsung. they were nice and understood but Sunday evening in a blizzard? no way, fix this samsung. I live in the foothills of Denver and i guess my service is good enough to call 911 but not good enough to get the call back.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I have the swipe lock and it almost happened to me too.

I don't want a patch but to completely remove it off the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance